Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Yes sir] #6856727
04/27/20 03:30 PM
04/27/20 03:30 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Food for thought
Witching water and pipelines works to differing degrees for some people. Ive seen it first myself. Some people the signal is real strong and the same pipeline can't be detected at all by another person using the same method.

About 4 years or so ago, we were trying to locate some water lines and electric lines at the place I had just moved to. Had sought to use the Dig Rite guys to locate them for me, but they only go to the meter. After that, they don't know or care. These lines were well downstream of the meters. So I mentioned to the contractor I had hired to do some digging that we could witch em, so we grabbed a pair of coat hangers and went to work. He was better at it than me.....that day.

Last year, I went at it again.......and was getting good results for all lines........except when I crossed my sewer line.......the wires suddenly went dead. Where not more than 10 min earlier I had been getting clear solid reactions, I got suddenly had nothing. Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot??? Next day.....was back to working again. Strange, strange, strange.

Still wondering if this reaction animals are having is like that? Or perhaps like one of the metal detectors? Or are animals sensitive enough for this to work like a Reed switch?

Whatever the case, I would think that at some point, unless there is a positive or negative reward........they would eventually learn to tune things out and ignore it. Otherwise, they would go nuts.......place across the road from me is a mine field of old metal hardware off farm equipment, gates, fence wire, etc.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Jonesie] #6856742
04/27/20 04:04 PM
04/27/20 04:04 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Jonesie :Quote Every trap I have tested has had high readings, so in theory by flipping the trap around and the field is the issue, then the same behavior should be seen just on the other side. So I believe that on cage smart animals the field is not the issue. “

Jonesie,

Your test won’t be accurate. Got to have one with a low intensity and one with a high intensity. Several homemade traps, Thompson traps, duke traps, tru-catch are available that have a low intensity. I just don’t know what models they are.I’m not making traps now so I don’t have any to send you. I would think there would be several in the country or even near you in the store. You just have to test to find it.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: bearcat2] #6857027
04/27/20 09:23 PM
04/27/20 09:23 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Originally Posted by bearcat2
Jonesy,
You can't even possess footholds in NJ? So if you wanted to go out of state and use them you would have to store them across the state line? Yet you write about using DP's which also hold the foot. Those are some weird laws.

I can not have in my possession or in the state any steel-jawed leghold type traps. nor can you drive through the state with them either. The DP trap is an encapsulating trap, not a steel-jawed leg hold. The DP trap has it's own BMP category that is how we were able to get them as one of our tools. the DP trap is not a foot trap it is a dog-proof trap. And yes all my foot traps are in PA. I am only 30 mins from the PA NJ line. It gets touchy for Newt Morgan and Myself at the school making sure no one brings foot traps

I can't use a snare above the water surface either, But we have the (original name in 1987) Non-Lethal Body Gripping Restraining Snare, now called NJ legal Cable restraint. LOL a deer stop 2 inch, swivel, and the only lock we can't use is a cam lock or kill springs. and we do not have a bad either nor do we want them LOL

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6857055
04/27/20 09:45 PM
04/27/20 09:45 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
My coon size traps are more or less neutral inside, higher at the pan. My squirrel size traps are higher in readings. But the squirrels do not seem to care, let's face it they run along the power lines LOL But I will say this. my female skunks with young can be a pain with small traps. If I switch to bigger traps they go in. Single skunks don't care LOL So I am getting ready to do some testing here soon on the family skunk jobs to see if it is behavior do to hormones and maternal instinct or the magnetic field.

Which brings me to a question for you. Is there a noticeable difference in your testing with the coyotes on male or female detecting the field from a trap as I believe you stated the hotter it is the more magnetic field present?

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Jonesie] #6857096
04/27/20 10:32 PM
04/27/20 10:32 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Jonesie
My coon size traps are more or less neutral inside, higher at the pan. My squirrel size traps are higher in readings. But the squirrels do not seem to care, let's face it they run along the power lines LOL But I will say this. my female skunks with young can be a pain with small traps. If I switch to bigger traps they go in. Single skunks don't care LOL So I am getting ready to do some testing here soon on the family skunk jobs to see if it is behavior do to hormones and maternal instinct or the magnetic field.

Which brings me to a question for you. Is there a noticeable difference in your testing with the coyotes on male or female detecting the field from a trap as I believe you stated the hotter it is the more magnetic field present?

I wouldn’t know the difference between male and female ability to sense.
The hotter it is the higher the intensity difference. It’s like a battery in the winter time is slow to start your car. But when it gets above freezing much easier to start your car.The current is stronger in the warmer climate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_magnetic_field

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Jonesie] #6857113
04/27/20 10:45 PM
04/27/20 10:45 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Jonesie

As long as the trap is at least 10 inches wide and at least 12 inches tall it’s not very difficult to make a trap with a reduced Field going through it. For some reason when you go narrower than 10 inches shorter than 12 inches is harder to get a trap To have a reduced field like you would like.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6857167
04/28/20 01:32 AM
04/28/20 01:32 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
If memory serves from reading 15 pages, temperature makes a difference. So, if my canine traps are in 10-20-30-40 degree ground, it really shouldn’t make a difference what is magnetically high or low.

Maybe this is important for the nuisance/warm weather trappers, but for those who trap under cold climate conditions.... you get my point.

Never too old to learn
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Teacher] #6857257
04/28/20 08:12 AM
04/28/20 08:12 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Teacher
If memory serves from reading 15 pages, temperature makes a difference. So, if my canine traps are in 10-20-30-40 degree ground, it really shouldn’t make a difference what is magnetically high or low.

Maybe this is important for the nuisance/warm weather trappers, but for those who trap under cold climate conditions.... you get my point.

“Even if an animal cannot feel or see a high intensity magnetic field, where new devices are set and scent remained, The Magnetic Fields disruption of molecules will enhance the detection by smell. “ Quote from my book and spoke about on this thread. It doesn’t always stay below 40° or below really in this case 30 or 20°. When the device warms up if it has a high intensity field the disruption of molecules from a previous time will still increase the smell of the trap or detection of the Set device. When it cools down that scent Or enhanced smell is there.

Knowing what I discovered just increases the ability of the trapper to make the best choice. It will verify that he is making the best choice. It does not lie.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6857375
04/28/20 11:24 AM
04/28/20 11:24 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Define “warming”.

I’m talking about upper tier states where waxed dirt, packing in dry dirt and antifreeze is necessary to keep traps working a good portion of the season. Yes Sir is testing now, when soils are 50-60 degrees. If temperature of the soil is a variable, 20 or 30 degree F is a whole lot different than 50-60 degrees F.

Kirk, are there independent (e.g. university, USDA) studies that support your experience?

Never too old to learn
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Teacher] #6857429
04/28/20 12:56 PM
04/28/20 12:56 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Define “warming”.

[quote=Teacher]Define “warming”.

I’m talking about upper tier states where waxed dirt, packing in dry dirt and antifreeze is necessary to keep traps working a good portion of the season. Yes Sir is testing now, when soils are 50-60 degrees. If temperature of the soil is a variable, 20 or 30 degree F is a whole lot different than 50-60 degrees F.

Kirk, are there independent (e.g. university, USDA) studies that support your experience?

Even if your soil’s at 20° air temperature can be 50° or 60°. It may be only for a short period of time but during that time it will make a difference in the way the animals approach the snares, cage traps, and conibears exposed. To actually know you would have to pull out your magnetometer and test.

As far as the state or government agency doing a test, why didn’t they approach me when I was catching 1000 beavers a year , in about 100 days and did it for Years on end. By myself with no helpers with a 24 hour check in a warm climate. The only biologist that ever rode with me , and had any interest,was from another state. As far as the qualifications go I’ve never met another person That has had the experiences that I have had And could verify it.Experiences that would be best used in this case. It is written in the preface in my book and can be seen on Amazon.It may take some time to gain confidence but it will take place. It’s too important not to learn.
It is a discovery.

Last edited by Kirk De; 04/28/20 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling And clarification

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6858222
04/29/20 10:40 AM
04/29/20 10:40 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
A retired physics teacher (and good trapper) suggested something that may prove or disprove your theory. He suggested witching old trap catch locations to see if there was a correlation between natural EMF and the catch. His suggestion was to use a pair of coat hangers over old trap locations. If there is a correlation, it might be a way of locating future trap sites.

Never too old to learn
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Teacher] #6858300
04/29/20 12:12 PM
04/29/20 12:12 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
A retired physics teacher (and good trapper) suggested something that may prove or disprove your theory. He suggested witching old trap catch locations to see if there was a correlation between natural EMF and the catch. His suggestion was to use a pair of coat hangers over old trap locations. If there is a correlation, it might be a way of locating future trap sites.

I think yes sir will be able to tell us. All you have to do is measure the intensity of the trap and the animal will be digging where the intensity is the highest. If it is projected over the dog he’ll dig at the dog if it’s projected over the jaws he will dig at the radiating jaws.If he’s afraid of it he will stay away or back.
How the animal responds depends on how high the intensity is. And many other factors. The key is going to be doing the same thing in each location. That way you can tell the difference because the Magnetic field reading will stand out.
It is very admirable for yes sir to do so many sets. It makes it easier to prove or Confirm your results.The only other better way that I can see is to use half your traps with a high intensity reading and half the traps with a low intensity reading for a full season. You would hate one over the other by the end of the season

Last edited by Kirk De; 04/29/20 12:56 PM. Reason: Clarification

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6859586
04/30/20 08:11 PM
04/30/20 08:11 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
The whole premise for what we’ve been talking about is the reduction of positive ions dispersed from the trapping device. The more negative ions that are there such as in a cage trap the more relaxed better feeling the animal is. The easier it is to catch them. This is link to a number of technical description but it tells various stories, That explain how important negative ions are and how destructive positive ions are. That’s what the animals Are detecting,Positive ions they sense to be harmful or they feel to be harmful to them.

https://www.djclarke.co.uk/file06.html

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6860794
05/01/20 09:20 PM
05/01/20 09:20 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
I opened the link. Lots of references to people doing studies and I expected to find a list of reference credits at the end. What I found was advertising for ion generating air purifiers. Hmmm. Mr DeKalb you gotta do better than this.

I remember seeing ion exchange and electrostatic air purifiers in bars in the 1980s and 90s. They worked to take out the particulates in smoke. They seemed to work as long as people replaced the filters often enough. Most didn’t. The technology failed and people stopped using them.

I’m still not convinced.

Never too old to learn
Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Teacher] #6860865
05/01/20 10:05 PM
05/01/20 10:05 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
I opened the link. Lots of references to people doing studies and I expected to find a list of reference credits at the end. What I found was advertising for ion generating air purifiers. Hmmm. Mr DeKalb you gotta do better than this.

I remember seeing ion exchange and electrostatic air purifiers in bars in the 1980s and 90s. They worked to take out the particulates in smoke. They seemed to work as long as people replaced the filters often enough. Most didn’t. The technology failed and people stopped using them.

I’m still not convinced.

How do you convince someone that believes witching rods made out of coat hangers work better than the magnetometer to measure the earths induction.

The studies and the test done that we’re posted are accurate. The product used the studies for promotion.Whether or not the product was good is it in very much question I agree. But the studies are accurate

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6860884
05/01/20 10:16 PM
05/01/20 10:16 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Of all the websites this is the one that taught me the most. It should teach you if you read it and can understand it. But for someone that doesn’t understand it it’s like reading Chinese. I have posted it before. This is for you teacher.

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/magnetic_electric_effects.html

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6861087
05/02/20 07:45 AM
05/02/20 07:45 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Speaking of witching. Can this magnetometer be used to locate a septic tank, underground lines?
I "think" you did say the meter can be had on a smart phone yes?

Sure beats reading what color to paint a trap.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Wright Brothers] #6861106
05/02/20 08:18 AM
05/02/20 08:18 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
Speaking of witching. Can this magnetometer be used to locate a septic tank, underground lines?
I "think" you did say the meter can be had on a smart phone yes?

Sure beats reading what color to paint a trap.

Let’s assume that you can find a trap with witching rods and you have determined the intensity of the projection of the trap. How do you write it down. How do you compare it with Something that will work or something that will not work. What’s your unit of measure.
With a magnetometer you’ve got a reading that you can get for unit of measure. You have a basis to go on. If it rains if it’s cold it doesn’t matter the magnetometer will give you a reading. It doesn’t matter who uses it it will give you a reading. You can set the trap on the table and get a reading. You can set it on the ground and get a reading. You can write it down I can’t write down a reading from witching.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6861165
05/02/20 09:33 AM
05/02/20 09:33 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Well this magnetics is new to me, digging for septic is old.
I knew couple guys that could witch, not me.

I did better k9 trapping with compass points in mind nut always thought because prevailing winds.
Then paying attention to thermals agreed with that "theory".
But wind is not consistent and there was "something else".
Coal bank and I brain stormed this at a camp fire and we agreed confidence was it, as he alluded to.

I'm off this topic as it's not my "field" of experience.

Re: Magnetic field of coyote traps [Re: Artrapper16] #6862890
05/04/20 09:55 AM
05/04/20 09:55 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Still trying to wrap my head around what is being proposed.......that traps are magnets.......and means to measure the magnetic force.......a magnetometer.

So I looked up "magnetometer" and came away with more questions than answers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetometer

Which of the various types of magnetometers are being suggested to be used? As in which product.......exactly. There seems to be many forms.

If a magnetometer is the tool to measure the strength of the magnetic force inherent in the magnet......the trap......how does the trap get magnetized in the first place?

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91