No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Dupuytren’s Contracture #6876208
05/18/20 07:06 PM
05/18/20 07:06 PM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline OP
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline OP
trapper

OBX N.C.
A little over 3-4 years ago I was having a lot of pain in my hards whenever I was setting traps or using my hands a lot and thought I had started to develop arthritis. I eventually got to a point that I had to have setters for any trap I was setting.
I had knots I thought were calluses develop in the palms of my hands at the base of my thumbs and my ring fingers. Sometimes I could not even grip even a cup of coffee due to the pain of anything putting pressure on the knots.
The knots at my ring fingers finally developed into thick cords running from the finger towards the heel of my hands. Any future I may have had doing dish soap commercial is now gone Im afraid.

I went to the Dr. a little over a year ago and she immediately recognized the signs of Dupuytren’s Contracture which she said is a conditions diabetics are prone to developing.

My Dr says she can numb my hand and then scrape the tendon sheaths to break up tissue build up in the tendon sheaths with a needle. I ain't exactly crazy about that idea. I understand there is a medicine on the market you can take but its got some undesirable side effects like ED, multiple clonings of your ex wives, projectile diarrhea, bad breath and low gas milage to name a few.

Has anyone else on TMan have this condition and advise treatments you are familiar with?

Re: Dupuytren’s Contracture [Re: Leary Sink] #6876257
05/18/20 08:11 PM
05/18/20 08:11 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I was diagnosed just last week at my Medicare Wellness appointment with this disease. I have quite a bit in my left hand and a start in my right. So far just some large scar type tissue build up.Not much pain at all and I will just deal with it as it is for now. If it gets really more progressed it can start to bend one's fingers so you can't close them tightly. My doctor did not mention the diabetes connection so that is another thing to look into.

Bryce

Re: Dupuytren’s Contracture [Re: Leary Sink] #6876301
05/18/20 08:47 PM
05/18/20 08:47 PM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline OP
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline OP
trapper

OBX N.C.
I have tried stretching the tendons off and on by pressing down on my fingers to bend them back but that hurts like a big dog. It seems like the last month or two it has started getting worse because it will wake me up at night and I will put ice on my palms till they eventually quit hurting

Re: Dupuytren’s Contracture [Re: Leary Sink] #6876355
05/18/20 09:56 PM
05/18/20 09:56 PM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
Originally Posted by Leary Sink
A little over 3-4 years ago I was having a lot of pain in my hards whenever I was setting traps or using my hands a lot and thought I had started to develop arthritis. I eventually got to a point that I had to have setters for any trap I was setting.
I had knots I thought were calluses develop in the palms of my hands at the base of my thumbs and my ring fingers. Sometimes I could not even grip even a cup of coffee due to the pain of anything putting pressure on the knots.
The knots at my ring fingers finally developed into thick cords running from the finger towards the heel of my hands. Any future I may have had doing dish soap commercial is now gone Im afraid.

I went to the Dr. a little over a year ago and she immediately recognized the signs of Dupuytren’s Contracture which she said is a conditions diabetics are prone to developing.

My Dr says she can numb my hand and then scrape the tendon sheaths to break up tissue build up in the tendon sheaths with a needle. I ain't exactly crazy about that idea. I understand there is a medicine on the market you can take but its got some undesirable side effects like ED, multiple clonings of your ex wives, projectile diarrhea, bad breath and low gas milage to name a few.

Has anyone else on TMan have this condition and advise treatments you are familiar with?

It is hereditary, so One or more of your relatives may have it also.

Also Called "Viking's disease" because it afflicts those with

Northern European ancestory.

My older sister and myself have it.

She was leaning towards surgery to treat it
but then went to whatever drug MD's use to treat it.

She is a nurse, has a permanent makeup clinic,
and runs a Botox salon in Virginia so she has to
work with her hands so surgery with recovery
was not an attractive option.

Whatever the drug is has worked well and she is "In remission"
from the damage and the symptoms.

Myself, I have just been living with it with minimal problems with
my hands so far.

walleyed

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: Dupuytren’s Contracture [Re: Leary Sink] #6876759
05/19/20 09:39 AM
05/19/20 09:39 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
My wife has it bad in her left wrist. Steriod inj about every 3 months only relief she can get

Re: Dupuytren’s Contracture [Re: Leary Sink] #6876853
05/19/20 11:58 AM
05/19/20 11:58 AM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline OP
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline OP
trapper

OBX N.C.
Northern European Ancestry???
Dang!!! My Mom’s sister used to research our family history and never told us that. When I was little my Uncle (Married to my Mom’s sister) always told me that my Mom’s side of the family descended from horse thieves !!

Re: Dupuytren’s Contracture [Re: Leary Sink] #6876986
05/19/20 03:00 PM
05/19/20 03:00 PM
alaska
S
spotter Offline
trapper
spotter  Offline
trapper
S

alaska
I had it done last October on my right hand. First time I couldn’t trap in fifty years. They cut out the knots that they could but didn’t do all of them. After six months i can’t make a fist and I still have swollen knuckles from the remaining knots. My other hand is bad also but I still can make a fist. I don’t think I’ll get the other done. All in all it was four incisions and about sixty stitches. Stiff and hurts most days, but I can still ride a snowmachine. Getting old ain’t for wimps.

Re: Dupuytren’s Contracture [Re: Leary Sink] #6876993
05/19/20 03:27 PM
05/19/20 03:27 PM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline OP
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline OP
trapper

OBX N.C.
Went back to the Dr this morning and she wrote me a script for diclofenac in a creme form.
Im already taking that medicine in pill form for arthritis in both my knees.
The pharmacist had made the mixture up and laughed and said a lot of people where taking the cream and rubbing it on their knees for arthritis pain and later realized their hand were not hurting.
I will see what it does.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread