ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6874656
05/17/20 08:08 AM
05/17/20 08:08 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
On Monday, we had a raccoon fall through a ceiling of a house we set up on earlier that day.

Unexpected, and unplanned things happen.

We warned you of a possible danger in ROUNDWORM, not ringworm. That's only being responsible. Choosing to ignore it is foolish. But it is your choice, and as an adult, you are free to choose it.

Paul has been dealing with wild animals for decades and has had quite a lot of experience with them. Don't mistake him saying he hasn't caught a disease from them with he's not taking any precautions. And it's not only your family at risk. When I lived in Houston, my air conditioner and heater were installed in the attic. The tech that services them will be going up in the attic, putting himself at risk. Then coming back down, walking through your house, brushing off his clothes, etc.

Again, you're free to make those choices.

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: EatenByLimestone] #6874847
05/17/20 11:31 AM
05/17/20 11:31 AM
Tx
A
Aggierose Offline OP
trapper
Aggierose  Offline OP
trapper
A

Tx
Originally Posted by EatenByLimestone
On Monday, we had a raccoon fall through a ceiling of a house we set up on earlier that day.

Unexpected, and unplanned things happen.

We warned you of a possible danger in ROUNDWORM, not ringworm. That's only being responsible. Choosing to ignore it is foolish. But it is your choice, and as an adult, you are free to choose it.

Paul has been dealing with wild animals for decades and has had quite a lot of experience with them. Don't mistake him saying he hasn't caught a disease from them with he's not taking any precautions. And it's not only your family at risk. When I lived in Houston, my air conditioner and heater were installed in the attic. The tech that services them will be going up in the attic, putting himself at risk. Then coming back down, walking through your house, brushing off his clothes, etc.

Again, you're free to make those choices.

Thanks for the info, but until I see data that shows me a high rate of infection of a disease or parasite from raccoons, then im not worried about the safety of my family at all. We coexist with thousands of animals that carry diseases every day and yet somehow society
manages to stay safe. And roundworms? Yeah, dogs have those too. And again, I’m not keeping them as pets to love on, and I don’t regularly roll around in my attic insulation so I’m going to be just fine.

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6877578
05/20/20 10:29 AM
05/20/20 10:29 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If your not worried about the diseases they carry,why do you want them gone?
Why not just enjoy them while you can.Once the babies grow they will leave,just like humans.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6877590
05/20/20 11:04 AM
05/20/20 11:04 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Aggierose -
You are getting info here from some of the most experienced knowledgeable guys in the industry. They are trying to help you for free when you hired someone else. And you want to bicker with them? You challenge them to prove things to you? You are uninformed and foolish. Go away and rely on someone you hire and pay instead of being a nuisance to strangers.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #6877648
05/20/20 01:17 PM
05/20/20 01:17 PM
Tx
A
Aggierose Offline OP
trapper
Aggierose  Offline OP
trapper
A

Tx
Originally Posted by Paul Winkelmann
So what you are saying is that with all the raccoons I've handled in the past 65 years, I should have been dead a long time ago. And not even one raccoon related disease; Imagine that! We probably did close to 2 thousand raccoons last year!

Hey Paul. Any advice on what to do now? The wildlife revival guy soared eviction fluid but didn’t get it close to the nest because he would of had to belly crawl at least 30 feet to reach it. He only sprayed it once, and told us not to go in the attic at all after that because it might disturb her and cause her not to relocate. After almost 2 weeks we said she’s obviously not leaving so Lets trap her and start cutting open the walls to get the babies. Unfortunately, 2 days before he was coming to place the trap, a male raccoon went into the attic. Based on what we heard, I assumed he killed the babies. The wildlife guy came out and went into the attic and ran into the male, caught him with the pole and removed him. He looked beat up and like he had possibly been fighting. The babies definitely aren’t in the same area because it’s now totally silent there, but we see and hear no signs of them, and we don’t smell dead animals either. (Attack was sat night, today is Thursday, and I’m in Tx and it’s been fairly hot). Mom did not take them out because we have a camera set up at her entry point and she never left.... for 3 days. Yesterday, the wildlife guy caught her in a trap (in my attic), but she escaped the trap and ran off while he was putting her in his truck. She went back into the attic last night. How do we trap her now that she’s already been trapped once? Aren’t they smart enough to know not to go in a trap again? At this point I have no idea what happened to the babies and if they’re still up there or not. It’s just turned into a big mess.

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Willy Firewood] #6877862
05/20/20 06:35 PM
05/20/20 06:35 PM
Tx
A
Aggierose Offline OP
trapper
Aggierose  Offline OP
trapper
A

Tx
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
Aggierose -
You are getting info here from some of the most experienced knowledgeable guys in the industry. They are trying to help you for free when you hired someone else. And you want to bicker with them? You challenge them to prove things to you? You are uninformed and foolish. Go away and rely on someone you hire and pay instead of being a nuisance to strangers.

No one has forced anyone to offer any advice to me. And, expressing that I think it’s foolish to kill every living thing because it might possibly carry a disease that I’m extremely unlikely to ever come in contact with is not bickering. I’m not uninformed. I just don’t see the point of killing everything for no reason. I never once had any intention of doing anything myself with the raccoons as several assumed. And if you consider me a nuisance, then just keep scrolling and ignore me.

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Boco] #6877863
05/20/20 06:36 PM
05/20/20 06:36 PM
Tx
A
Aggierose Offline OP
trapper
Aggierose  Offline OP
trapper
A

Tx
Originally Posted by Boco
If your not worried about the diseases they carry,why do you want them gone?
Why not just enjoy them while you can.Once the babies grow they will leave,just like humans.

If they weren’t causing damage that I’m going to have to pay to repair, Id be happy to let them stay.

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6878928
05/22/20 01:38 AM
05/22/20 01:38 AM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline
trapper
U

Canada
If you're in the city and let them go, they are likely to just end up being someone else's problem.

If you let them go 'free' in the wild, they have to fight it out with the other animals who already live there. Someone will have to starve to death if there isn't enough food.

So, given a choice between a humane way to deal with them or to let them go 'free', you have to ask yourself: how kind is that to others or the animal?

The research I've read says that raccoon density is at least twice as high in the cities as it is in the wild. City raccoon are bums living off welfare. They aren't even as healthy as their rural counterparts because of the trash they eat.

And, if anyone wants to argume that 'we took their land', well, at least half of them don't belong on 'their land'. As you've seen, they just end up inviting their rogue in-laws that trash and desecrate your place!

Your heart is in the right place, but many of us here have an inkling that you just may change your mind should a third raccoon family start using your attic as a toilet.

I hope that never happens, but if it does, you know where to go for help. The ADC guys here know their stuff.

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6879019
05/22/20 07:19 AM
05/22/20 07:19 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
Funny, almost sounds like you are talking about people there.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6879176
05/22/20 10:47 AM
05/22/20 10:47 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
A study by biologists has shown that city raccoons released in the country, have the same chance of living successfully as their wild counterparts. I believe this. If you feel that you are adding to the over-population, maybe you could drop your live raccoon off, next to a dead one lying in the road!

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6879208
05/22/20 11:15 AM
05/22/20 11:15 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Rose
is relocating mammals legal in TX?
it is not here, unless on property caught, so we must close entrances while critter stays in cage.
Your man apparently did not invest in quality cage traps OR have the experience to quick clip it shut with a carabiner to avoid escape.
Getting it in a cage again has much reduced probability.
When it ran off, IF that was the only coon left alive, was his chance to close entrances.
It is too early to smell dead babies in the wall.

One problem with relocation is, the critter has learned there are comforts in human homes. How would you like it if a attic loving coon was relocated in your hood.

Sometimes well meaning folks, just give the problem to another homeowner. If, next time, THAT PARTICULAR critter chews wires and burns down a homeowners place, would you feel guilty? Most folks don't realize they are enabling damage/problems to a neighbors home.

I must wonder if you checked references before hiring this knucklehead...or asked pro's here for a competent guy. https://www.ttfha.com/officers_directors.html

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #6879622
05/22/20 07:09 PM
05/22/20 07:09 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Geez Paul, seeing the dead raccoon is likely to give the live one PTSD.

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6879702
05/22/20 07:39 PM
05/22/20 07:39 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
Ringworm vs Roundworm one the symptom is a rash the other the symptoms are blindness, coma, and death... (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) it's the only thing I actually worry about in this trade...

Last edited by RF Wildlife; 05/22/20 07:40 PM.
Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: EatenByLimestone] #6880054
05/23/20 01:52 AM
05/23/20 01:52 AM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline
trapper
U

Canada
Originally Posted by EatenByLimestone
Geez Paul, seeing the dead raccoon is likely to give the live one PTSD.

Is that before or after he eats it?

(For the record, I have no idea if a raccoon will eat a dead raccoon, though I wouldn't doubt it.)

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6887512
06/01/20 02:01 PM
06/01/20 02:01 PM
Lemars, Iowa
N
NWTrapper85 Offline
trapper
NWTrapper85  Offline
trapper
N

Lemars, Iowa
Did your problem finally get resolved? with or without trapping when all said and done? were the kits removed ? was curious how this all ended. Did the company offer a attic remediation if needed?

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6896523
06/11/20 11:02 AM
06/11/20 11:02 AM
VA
T
Terri Offline
trapper
Terri  Offline
trapper
T

VA
We had sow and kits in the attic. Threw rags soaked in ammonia near her. Put a very bright stand up work light up there along with a boombox blasting a hard rock station up there all day for two days and she got them and herself out of there before we sealed off all entrance options.

Re: Raccoons in my attic [Re: Aggierose] #6897096
06/11/20 09:28 PM
06/11/20 09:28 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Aggierose

The wildlife revival guy soared eviction fluid but didn’t get it close to the nest because he would of had to belly crawl at least 30 feet to reach it. .[/quote]

That is the time to use A slingshot/wrist rocket to propel the eviction fluid loaded tennis ball back to the area.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread