ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver trapping #6882947
05/26/20 07:57 PM
05/26/20 07:57 PM
UT
J
John hal Offline OP
trapper
John hal  Offline OP
trapper
J

UT
Am doing damage work on some beaver they got 4 dams on small creek about 20 feet wide i got one large Male a week ago i torn some of the dam down last week and it has not be repaired and dont see any fresh sticks float can one beaver build four dams

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6882980
05/26/20 08:27 PM
05/26/20 08:27 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
It is surprising how much one beaver will do, especially over time. Won't build all four dams in a day, but can build quite a bit if no one bothers them over a period of weeks or months. If there is nothing happening with dam plugging, you are mostly likely done. Sometimes there may have been a second beaver that met a tire on the highway, leaving but one. I pull out quickly, no wasted trips. Probably 90% of the time I hit it, but have to go back once in a while, but at least the numbers have favored getting out. Lots of times you know for sure, but even when a little in doubt, I pack up.

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: Jim Comstock] #6883003
05/26/20 08:50 PM
05/26/20 08:50 PM
UT
J
John hal Offline OP
trapper
John hal  Offline OP
trapper
J

UT
Thank you i torn down more of dam today am going back Thursday to see if they is sign or if dam is repair were i trapping is private property has many people up they cent's year

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6883015
05/26/20 09:00 PM
05/26/20 09:00 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Pull traps. Re-check in a couple of weeks. Holes not repaired. Job complete. Sarge

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Beaver trapping [Re: SGT. C] #6883309
05/27/20 09:49 AM
05/27/20 09:49 AM
UT
J
John hal Offline OP
trapper
John hal  Offline OP
trapper
J

UT
Thank you

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6883341
05/27/20 10:57 AM
05/27/20 10:57 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Sarge and Jim do you guys have a specific time frame that you outline for your clients as far a maximum return time? For instance as Sarge mentioned no activity in a couple of weeks job is done. Around here...that couple of weeks can/ might allow new beavers to travel in.... especially after big rains. Just wondering....

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6883781
05/27/20 10:41 PM
05/27/20 10:41 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
My experience has depended on if there’s any water to hold back. If it’s a drought and I’ve broken the dam, there’s no reason to build a ridge. Don’t know where they go or what they do, but they don’t seem to build. Maybe they’re holed up saying that they can’t wait to get some rain. Maybe they go off somewhere else. Don’t know. If there’s some water worth holding, they’ll repair or build quickly. So if there’s moving water and they haven’t repaired it in a week, they’re probably finished. I’d still probably give a courtesy check after a week or two just to make sure.

Beavers rarely, if ever, quit. However, they will make the most out of their efforts if that makes sense.

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6883941
05/28/20 08:51 AM
05/28/20 08:51 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
personally, I'd put holes in all dams, maybe 1 ft wide and 1 ft down
check weekly for repairs
if a dam is repaired, set a foothold using breasting sticks there, offset 4-5" a forearm length away from hole just opened again.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6884182
05/28/20 02:49 PM
05/28/20 02:49 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Worth noting, when I said broke the dam and they didn’t repair until we got some water, I meant I tore it down to the streambed.

I’m pretty sure it’ll be the last time I’ll ever do that before catching them all, but I was in a very unique situation, and some lessons in life I haven’t finished learning

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6884526
05/28/20 10:50 PM
05/28/20 10:50 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Rainy summers often mean new beaver will return after a job is done. Used to tell land owners that once a summer would take care of it, but not so. Have had beaver return 5 times more than once, though rare. Usually once still does it, but on rainy summers all bets are off. I usually ask the client to watch, monitor to see if there is any activity after I leave. I used to give them a month but if they have seen no activity for a solid two plus or three weeks and then it suddenly resumes hard, I treat it as a new set up, a new job. You have to play it by ear. Usually you have an idea if you have left a straggler behind or if they are a new batch. Most beaver that hang in there will resume work pretty quickly, in a week or less. Sometimes a straggler educated beaver will leave and be gone for months, but you know they will be back late summer or fall. In those cases I often don't charge another set up, just depends on the whole picture.

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6884732
05/29/20 07:23 AM
05/29/20 07:23 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Thanks guys good responses from “Veteran Beaver Trappers”....much appreciated.

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6885221
05/29/20 08:19 PM
05/29/20 08:19 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
I may check once or twice after hole torn into the main dam. Around here, i find two weeks work for me. But I also give a 30 day warranty on my jobs (this is built into the price). It is also a good selling point. Also, I spray paint all the stubs an trees that have been chewed on. So, when one returns, the new damage shows up like a sore thumb from afar. Sarge

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6885648
05/30/20 10:18 AM
05/30/20 10:18 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Thanks Sarge that’s more good info.
Let me give you a scenario that I am dealing with here in my area. There is a public area that hires me every year that has a pond that has fishing availability and is surrounded by neighborhoods. Around the perimeter of the pond is a walking/ bike path that is heavily used at all times of the year. On one end of the pond in a small creek that feeds into the pond...private property. On the opposite end the pond has an outlet that leads to a small stream that flows into another housing area. Both ends have beaver issues and feed into the big pond. So when the public area property owners hire me to remove the beavers at times other beavers can move in whenever. I have literally finished trapping beavers and get calls saying more beavers have moved in. There is potholes every where in this pond area and I believe that they naturally just swim over to the bigger public pond. So the public area owners are burdened with the bills. I have addressed this with the pond manager attempting to bring light into the situation but they tell me that their hands are tied due to private property. Like most of you, I hate doing adc work in front of so many “eyes” but it does pay the bills.

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6886093
05/30/20 08:32 PM
05/30/20 08:32 PM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline
trapper
SGT. C  Offline
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
Ok. Sounds like my typical situation at times. It gets tough at times. Make sure you are getting paid enough( multiple trips will ensue). Do not set on or near the pathways, only asking for trouble. I would try to gain permission from the private property owners and set up the streams going and coming. If that isn't possible, then at times you will have to pass on these types of jobs until they(managers and landowners) come to their senses. Also, I would make sure that they know this is a maintenance job, not an eradication job. Unless they don't mind paying each and time a new beaver shows up.

If by chance they can shut down the area due to maintenance( that's a good public excuse to buy you time) for you to do your job. Then you will have to hit it hard.

Make it work for you, don't put yourself in a pickle. Remember, they called you, they are the ones with the beaver issue. If they want them removed bad enough, they will find a way that works for you and them. Also, remind them what it must be costing them every year in damage and that it will not get any better until they are removed or maintained. I have an area that shuts down for two weeks or more just for this very reason. And signs are posted that it will be closed from this date to this date. Any more questions, don't hesitate to PM. Sarge

Last edited by SGT. C; 05/30/20 08:33 PM.

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6886206
05/30/20 10:54 PM
05/30/20 10:54 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Thanks Sarge we are on the same page here...I already do a lot of things you mentioned. Try as I may they just keep calling and writing checks. I have refused to trap on a few occasions due to fisherman and folks allowing their dogs in the pond. Police was notified and warned the folks. It is always good to check in with others working in similar situations.

Re: Beaver trapping [Re: John hal] #6886364
05/31/20 07:50 AM
05/31/20 07:50 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I have never had to refuse a beaver job when using the combination of swim through cages and castor. With cages there is little danger of injuring pets or people even if they fire a trap. In high traffic areas you just need to locate the traps out of site and out of high traffic. I always remember setting 4 cages in a channel, then watching a golden retriever swim right over the top of all 4 sets. He never fired one. So glad they weren't the 660 Belisle Magnums I had been using, which could have ended poorly. Since castor will bring a beaver to the place of your choosing, you can put it in a brushy area no one or no pet will interact with. With the castor on the bank and brush in the water a pet might come in from the land side to sniff lure on shore, but have no reason to even try to go into the water where the trap is. Like fur trapping, it's challenging to work right under foot and never be noticed. In some cases I will set and check after dark. Always enjoyed working around fur trappers years ago, cleaning colonies that the competition was trapping with no idea anyone else was even there. Even when some know you are there, they can't find you or figure out what you are doing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread