Originally Posted by rvsask
The new 2 strokes are not very loud and have no more bad emissions than the for strokes. U must be rich and dnot mind high cost maintenance. 2 strokes are around 200 pounds lighter weight average than a 4 stroke and make more power than a 4 stroke out of the hole. 2 strokes are also around 4 thousand dollars on average cheaper to buy new than a 4 stroke. 4 strokes also have alot more moving parts than a 2 stroke and are more expensive to maintain. Wander why u never se 4 stroke chainsaws? 2 strokes have a lot better power to weight ratio than a 4 stroke. That means alot on something like a boat.especially smaller boats. Just the extra weight of a 4 stroke is like having an extra person on the boat all the time. Some boats that might not make much difference but to some boats it makes a huge diference. All the people I know that tell me all the good things about thier new boat with a 4 stroke on it sound just like the guy that sold them the boat. A sales pitch. Sure the salesmen talk them up and push the 4 strokes. They can sell you a boat for alot more money!

Different strokes for different folks it is. grin My 115 four stroke is still relatively new, only four years old, it has not cost one cent to maintain other than oil changes which a guy can do himself, cheaply. Yes, they are more money and heavier, but outside of little boats, weight doesn't matter a whole bunch. I can get my 1775 Lund impact "out of the hole" with 4 people on board, pretty much instantly, can't see how any quicker could benefit me there. Every two stroke owner that rides in my boat makes mention of how nice and quiet and clean it runs. I thought my old etec was great, until I got this.

That's no sales pitch, because I'm not selling, just honesty.

Ya I run a 200 merc 4 stroke tiller-uber quiet and smooth-love it! Expensive when you blow up the supercharger-but way cheaper than brand new one LOL.I too love the smell of a 2 stroke-especially early in the morning-just brings back memories.But the 4 strokes to me are the bomb-period.Love how quiet they run-same as you!