ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Trap shy pocket gophers #6897188
06/11/20 10:50 PM
06/11/20 10:50 PM
Minnesota
L
Lancer Offline OP
trapper
Lancer  Offline OP
trapper
L

Minnesota
I'm at a customers house that has pocket gophers, and je has tried trapping them himself with mole traps..... needless to say these are the most trap shy gophers I have come across....i use the dk-1 death clutcher traps and even tried some trapline mole traps with no sucsess......anybody have any tricks up there sleeves???

Re: Trap shy pocket gophers [Re: Lancer] #6897532
06/12/20 11:01 AM
06/12/20 11:01 AM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
You will run into them on occasion and they're never seems to be a good way to catch them. I use DK's and Victor #0's and still run into some smart ones. Are you leaving the hole open with the DK's? Sometimes if you plug the hole with grass that is enough to catch them. Make sure the hole is no bigger than the jaws and even leaving a little dirt on the bottom of the run to cover the bottom of the trap helps. With the LS, I will recess the trap so the jaws are lower than the bottom of the tunnel. Make sure the tunnel is clear of dirt so it's less likely to plug thing up on you. I cover the hole and see what happens. Sometimes if you use a slice of raw potato it's enough to distract it from the trap. Sometimes you need to set every mound you can and odds will be in your favor. All else fails, you may have to resort to poison. If you do then make sure it is placed deep inside the tunnel or it may just bury it. Good luck!

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Trap shy pocket gophers [Re: Lancer] #6897566
06/12/20 12:06 PM
06/12/20 12:06 PM
MN, USA
star flakes Offline
trapper
star flakes  Offline
trapper

MN, USA
Originally Posted by Lancer
I'm at a customers house that has pocket gophers, and je has tried trapping them himself with mole traps..... needless to say these are the most trap shy gophers I have come across....i use the dk-1 death clutcher traps and even tried some trapline mole traps with no sucsess......anybody have any tricks up there sleeves???

My nephews lived in Madison, and they caught pocket gophers like the gophers could not get into the trap fast enough. Sometimes they used potato skins on the trigger, but they never had problems catching them.
Move a few counties over and the gophers here are notorious for not getting into death traps. They respond better to tunnels with a long spring and a license plate over the top, but still bury traps.

What I would like you to consider is this, there are different gopher species even in the genus. I state this, because I have watched the gophers here and they shoot dirt out of their holes with quite a force. What it breaks down to is, the gophers are not smart, nor avoiding a trap. I believe they just are moving dirt and that is springing the traps or burying them in a number of cases.
To deal with them, get pocket gopher poison, take an electric fence post, probe the indented end of the dirt mound, and when you find it, ream it out, put the poison in, and then cover it using a leaf or rock with dirt on top. Poison several locations and end the problem as I have spent too many hours trying to catch these gophers who blow dirt out of the holes and it always comes back to poison as I have better things to do.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread