Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: Ringbill5196] #6895883
06/10/20 03:51 PM
06/10/20 03:51 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Ringbill5196
I respect Boco and The Beav and their beaver knowledge, but you are being closed minded on this issue. I have taken 5 of 6 beaver in a colony in one night keeping one alive on a chain. In another case I caught all 4 in the colony in one night. This is huge when running ADC. I also have used it running a fur line, most often on a dead end line or spur on my line. Less often I have done it in a large area of shallow water with a snare, usually freshly flooded.

Locklear's video turned me on to this and Billingsly's showed how to keep the beaver acting naturally, and a good set for this. If they are thrashing after the first bit you are not going about this correctly. I also use offset traps for this. Just like foot trapping canines it can be done humanly without undue stress on the animal. Nobody is using BGs and drowning footholds regularly on coyote.

There is a learning curve with this and I typically back it up with all blind sets within 50 feet or so, all of them kill sets except the one. None of them lured except the one. You need to be committed to the 24 hour or less check as well.

^^^good reply!

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: plainstrapping25] #6895929
06/10/20 05:28 PM
06/10/20 05:28 PM
NC
C
Carolina Foxer Offline
trapper
Carolina Foxer  Offline
trapper
C

NC
Kirk DeKalb has a video where he snares one beaver and catches an additional 8 beavers in body grips covering the runs around the flow. It's not about being off location, it's about taking advantage of the commotion of a live beaver when on location.

I know 2 other associates that do this when setting on dams and with long chained footholds and well placed conibears/snares, they are cleaning out nuisance job colonies in 2 or 3 checks.

Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: Swamp Wolf] #6895935
06/10/20 05:35 PM
06/10/20 05:35 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
[quote=Ringbill5196]I respect Boco and The Beav and their beaver knowledge, but you are being closed minded on this issue. I have taken 5 of 6 beaver in a colony in one night keeping one alive on a chain. In another case I caught all 4 in the colony in one night. This is huge when running ADC. I also have used it running a fur line, most often on a dead end line or spur on my line. Less often I have done it in a large area of shallow water with a snare, usually freshly flooded.

Locklear's video turned me on to this and Billingsly's showed how to keep the beaver acting naturally, and a good set for this. If they are thrashing after the first bit you are not going about this correctly. I also use offset traps for this. Just like foot trapping canines it can be done humanly without undue stress on the animal. Nobody is using BGs and drowning footholds regularly on coyote.

There is a learning curve with this and I typically back it up with all blind sets within 50 feet or so, all of them kill sets except the one. None of them lured except the one. You need to be committed to the 24 hour or less check as well.

^^^good reply![/quote

I had the opportunity 5 years ago to witness the milling effect in broad daylight with one in a pawhold swimming in a circle. The other beaver just swam back and forth. Then the light bulb went on, My best so far from one location is 4 after one prior check of 3. The BG set on a parallel approach close to the bank edge seems to get hit the most. Takes a little forethought to set it up.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: plainstrapping25] #6896252
06/10/20 11:18 PM
06/10/20 11:18 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Don't mention locklear around Beav lol, gets him typing

Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: plainstrapping25] #6896287
06/11/20 12:13 AM
06/11/20 12:13 AM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
I think it's past his bedtime,Wolfdog.

Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: plainstrapping25] #6896486
06/11/20 10:17 AM
06/11/20 10:17 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Every time I hear or see the name I picture him pulling Into a small town In the 1800s selling some type of cure all remedy.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: Ringbill5196] #6897993
06/12/20 09:45 PM
06/12/20 09:45 PM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
Originally Posted by Ringbill5196
I respect Boco and The Beav and their beaver knowledge, but you are being closed minded on this issue. I have taken 5 of 6 beaver in a colony in one night keeping one alive on a chain. In another case I caught all 4 in the colony in one night. This is huge when running ADC. I also have used it running a fur line, most often on a dead end line or spur on my line. Less often I have done it in a large area of shallow water with a snare, usually freshly flooded.

Wow great explanation. Thank you.
Mac

Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: The Beav] #6900819
06/16/20 06:36 AM
06/16/20 06:36 AM
NE
P
plainstrapping25 Offline OP
trapper
plainstrapping25  Offline OP
trapper
P

NE
Originally Posted by The Beav
Every time I hear or see the name I picture him pulling Into a small town In the 1800s selling some type of cure all remedy.

That is pretty funny. I do like his predator baits and lures though

Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: plainstrapping25] #6906835
06/22/20 12:09 AM
06/22/20 12:09 AM
upstate NY
M
Mr. Ed Offline
trapper
Mr. Ed  Offline
trapper
M

upstate NY
I leave about 24" of chain with a dbl swivel minus the one J hook on the end. Then I add about 3 links of chain with a split washer and swivel on the chain so I can put it at the perfect length. This way I always have the right length of chain to reach the slide wire.

Re: Chain lenghth for beaver [Re: The Beav] #6906851
06/22/20 12:39 AM
06/22/20 12:39 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by The Beav

You be amazed how much you'd agree with him on alot of his stuff in the last three or so years. Swear on a few of his pods casts of late I thought you had wrote him a script

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91