No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: John Wayne [Re: rex123] #6913188
06/28/20 12:10 AM
06/28/20 12:10 AM
OH
Catch22 Offline
trapper
Catch22  Offline
trapper

OH
You'll need more than that pilgrim, spain!

I wonder if tap dancers walk into a room, look at the floor, and think, I'd tap that. I wonder about things.....
Re: John Wayne [Re: chas3457] #6913419
06/28/20 10:58 AM
06/28/20 10:58 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by chas3457
Yup, for real. I worked at the local sale barn every Saturday, from the age of fifteen until I was twenty. One of the owners (two brothers) had two Appaloosa stallions.

We had a white mare that had spots in her skin pigment, but it didn't show in the hair. The boss let me have a service from "Judge" who was out of one of Joker B's offspring.

I didn't get the 'Appy' I had hoped for but a nice blue roan filly. smile

Charlie

Charlie, I just saw your post this morning .

Working at the sales barn is a great way to connect with just about everyone in the industry. And you learn a lot. I used to work at the local sales barn also, as a test rider in the arenas for potential buyers. Fun riding all types of horses and mules, and you learn fast about their quirks , and the ones I refused to ride .

Charlie, sometimes those appys that have skin pigment but doesn't transfer into the hair have a gene that can mute colour in some offspring, and magnify it to very loud colour foals in others. I knew one horse that hardly had any colour but sure made loud flashy foals !
Blue and red roans are always so pretty.

People who haven't had the ranch experiences that you and I have , and that John Wayne was around, have missed out on wonderful country life.

There's another chestnut that J.W. rode quite often in some of his movies, a very tall one. He had beautiful conformation too. One thing about modern day movies , you don't see that quality of horses very often as in Wayne's movies.

Re: John Wayne [Re: rex123] #6914235
06/28/20 11:37 PM
06/28/20 11:37 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Whining is what will bring down a people, or the country. Time for everyone to look in the mirror to find the real cause of the problem. This is and has been for long time, the easiest country in which to become successful.
You don't become successful by whining. You start by showing up at school and do your best to stay awake during class.
If a family of Asians who can't speak a lick of good English can show up over here and end up with a thriving business, anyone can.

Re: John Wayne [Re: Sharon] #6914305
06/29/20 02:17 AM
06/29/20 02:17 AM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
Originally Posted by Sharon
Originally Posted by chas3457
Yup, for real. I worked at the local sale barn every Saturday, from the age of fifteen until I was twenty. One of the owners (two brothers) had two Appaloosa stallions.

We had a white mare that had spots in her skin pigment, but it didn't show in the hair. The boss let me have a service from "Judge" who was out of one of Joker B's offspring.

I didn't get the 'Appy' I had hoped for but a nice blue roan filly. smile

Charlie

Charlie, I just saw your post this morning .

Working at the sales barn is a great way to connect with just about everyone in the industry. And you learn a lot. I used to work at the local sales barn also, as a test rider in the arenas for potential buyers. Fun riding all types of horses and mules, and you learn fast about their quirks , and the ones I refused to ride .

Charlie, sometimes those appys that have skin pigment but doesn't transfer into the hair have a gene that can mute colour in some offspring, and magnify it to very loud colour foals in others. I knew one horse that hardly had any colour but sure made loud flashy foals !
Blue and red roans are always so pretty.

People who haven't had the ranch experiences that you and I have , and that John Wayne was around, have missed out on wonderful country life.

There's another chestnut that J.W. rode quite often in some of his movies, a very tall one. He had beautiful conformation too. One thing about modern day movies , you don't see that quality of horses very often as in Wayne's movies.

Neat topic Sharon, test riding at the sale barns.
When they were still packing horses in the states, they had kids out back trying the horses before killing them.
Unreal the number of good horses that slip through the cracks for whatever reason.

Or the horses at the track who pass through numerous trainers, before finding the one that can get the run out of them.
I heard some rags to riches stories of trainers and horses from the old security guards at the tracks in California.
For a good read google Sunday Silence: The Star No One Wanted

Last edited by dkrug; 06/29/20 02:50 AM. Reason: add information
Re: John Wayne [Re: rex123] #6914917
06/29/20 07:17 PM
06/29/20 07:17 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Thanks for that info, dkrug.

Yes I've seen great horses that have been helped to get good homes.

I can say, I've had a hand in introducing some off the track thoroughbreds who didn't run fast but were superior jumpers to the dressage and cross country shows...a few gained international status ....and were bought for a song....just as the tales like Sea Biscuit .

One of the best barrel horses on record was bought at the yard for the price of a "nag".....

Haarses are like people...they are both physically and mentally designed to fill the niche that suits their talents best.

I will have to read Sunday Silence. Thank you.

Re: John Wayne [Re: rex123] #6915809
06/30/20 03:43 PM
06/30/20 03:43 PM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Online content
trapper
Bruce T  Online Content
trapper

Northern Maine
John Wayne was the man.

Nevada bound
Page 2 of 2 1 2