Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
WARNING--INFORMATION ALERT #6913871
06/28/20 07:28 PM
06/28/20 07:28 PM
revillo, sd
C
cohunt Offline OP
trapper
cohunt  Offline OP
trapper
C

revillo, sd
I have over the past several weeks received a number of phone calls about traps that were listed for sale on eBay and other sites that were quite clearly to experienced eyes, not factory produced specimens as they were being presented. I have been repeatedly urged to use this forum to alert folks interested in collecting traps to this problem. Most commonly the traps being offered were called "Newhouse" XXX when in fact some or even most of the trap was newly produced. We have once before discussed this problem on the Collector Forum but obviously our efforts had no effect on the production or sale of these traps and I guess the best we can currently hope for is that the participants on this forum are warned to be especially cautious about "Newhouse" traps of intermediate value that have springs, or jaws, or chains/swivels that are the feature that gives them increased value but which are not authentic Newhouse parts. If you are concerned about the authenticity of a trap or portion of a trap, consider asking for assistance/advice before purchasing.

This problem is not confined to Newhouse traps however. There are clever folks who will create whole copies of traps or who will modify critical parts to increase values. Today, a trap appeared on eBay that is presented as a rare Cortland trap. A very experienced collector of Cortland traps alerted me to closely examine the photographs of the trap as he believed that the pan is not an original Cortland product which are normally rather crude, without a truly flat surface to strike and without crisp lettering throughout. Since I cannot examine the trap in hand and because I am not expert in Cortlands(but I do own a number), I cannot state with authority that the trap is or is not genuine. Because the trap is very attractive it already has bids that surpass the normal price for that trap but it is likely a trap that should be pursued with caution unless the owner can provide provenance to document the history of previous owners.

Final thoughts. Trappers have forever contributed to the problem discussed here. Most all long term trappers have done LOTS of repair or modification. Trappers commonly make a good trap from several broken ones without any consideration for who produced the pieces. Trap pans and chains have been switched around by the tens of thousands(more) and springs are replaced as needed with replacements coming from any source available. When this type of work was done a century or more ago it can be difficult to sort out the original from the replacement and hybrids can be offered for sale without intent to defraud. For new traps or near new traps, it is somewhat easier. Look critically at the parts of the trap that make it more valuable(jaws with teeth versus smooth jaws is an easy example) and try to see if that part has had the same life experience as the remainder of the trap. Mismatched parts can often be spotted IF you are looking for them. Nothing wrong with buying a trap with mismatched pieces as long as you are aware of the effect that might have on value or if you are seeking original parts to restore a cherished heirloom.

About one year ago there was an article published in TRAPS magazine about the use of the mails to intentionally defraud. We are currently seeking advice whether it would be wise, as well as legal, to rerun that article on this forum.

Re: WARNING--INFORMATION ALERT [Re: cohunt] #6914110
06/28/20 10:27 PM
06/28/20 10:27 PM
SE Minnesota
D
dustytinner Offline
trapper
dustytinner  Offline
trapper
D

SE Minnesota
Thanks Cohunt for sharing this information! I for one value the fact that you and others are willing to help the inexperienced buyers such as my self. Many are afraid to ask for help and the Lord knows I've been one of them. Thanks again.
Dusty

Life member Minnesota Trappers Association
FTA,Sportsmen's Alliance
Re: WARNING--INFORMATION ALERT [Re: cohunt] #6914453
06/29/20 09:01 AM
06/29/20 09:01 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline
trapper
J

Maine
I see "rare wolf trap" listed so often on ebay it's a joke. I like the weird and modified traps but I don't pay more than $30 for anything in my collection. I will point out that ebay does have good buyer protection. I bought some traps a few years ago that where supposed to have "very strong springs" but where very weak springs. Seller told me tough luck but ebay made him pay.

Re: WARNING--INFORMATION ALERT [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6914916
06/29/20 07:15 PM
06/29/20 07:15 PM
MINNESOTA
O
ottertrap Offline
trapper
ottertrap  Offline
trapper
O

MINNESOTA
Thanks Jim we all need to try to keep this trap collecting ethical.

Re: WARNING--INFORMATION ALERT [Re: ottertrap] #6916366
07/01/20 06:26 AM
07/01/20 06:26 AM
Candor NY
B
Bruce1 Offline
trapper
Bruce1  Offline
trapper
B

Candor NY
pictures of these traps would help educate others ,

Re: WARNING--INFORMATION ALERT [Re: cohunt] #6948950
07/31/20 11:50 AM
07/31/20 11:50 AM
North Cass Co. Minnesota
DiggerDale Offline
trapper
DiggerDale  Offline
trapper

North Cass Co. Minnesota
Here is a good example of a "Trapper Modified" trap.
Started out as a Newhouse #4 about 150 years ago. Not much for original parts left but was recently still being used for beaver.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector