Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6920815
07/05/20 01:33 PM
07/05/20 01:33 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Ah yes- that would work and you could use a single length of rebar so long as it was stout enough not to flex when you caught the biggest target on your line. Good thinking.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6922468
07/07/20 07:42 AM
07/07/20 07:42 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I dint read all replys, but if you trap old logging rds like me, weight isn't important becuz we can PRE-HOOK to local sapling/logs. I don't have time to hunt for a catch, and I want the scents left in the set area to attract others.
I run 6' chain since I don't want to have to dispatch a coon or bobcat 10 ft up a tree WHEN I catch a climber. Head high is enough. Read about many guys having to climb or log to dispatch........not this old boy.
My mini drags are about 1.2 lbs and the larger ones are 2.5 lbs.
I want my materials to go as far as possible, probably like you do also.
I carry both sizes in the truck but use the lil ones most, since I strive to pre-hook.
Asa Lenon and other old pro's found that the barbs only need to be about 25-30* for good hookup and ground marking.
hope this helps

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6922860
07/07/20 03:28 PM
07/07/20 03:28 PM
Central Minnesota
Outdoors Guy Offline
trapper
Outdoors Guy  Offline
trapper

Central Minnesota
^^

Re: Rebar Drag - weight for coyotes? [Re: Green Bay] #6924008
07/08/20 01:15 PM
07/08/20 01:15 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Another technique I use in some special locations that I have to hike into,is to use a Sabertooth Junior on a long chain.When I get to my spot,I. I attach an extension cable to the chain guard of the Sabertooth Jr and on the other end of the cable,I attach a stone drag from the location.This stone weighs maybe 15 Lbs.So the stone drag trails directly behind the grapple and adds weight to slow and tire the animal.I have seen this setup stop a lion so I have great confidence in it for cats and coyotes.

Right now,I am rigging some limestone drags for a couple areas that are wide open,no brush,but it is hard to get a stake in,especially earth anchors.I drill a hole through the rock and install a forged,"eye screw".These are drive to spots so I can easily place these before season.Since I use my battery,rotary hammer to drill these,I plan to do some,preseason,right on the spot.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91