Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
The Wildlife Society supports trapping #6930954
07/15/20 07:28 PM
07/15/20 07:28 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline OP
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline OP
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
Sounds good that The Wildlife Society (TWS) and it is for the most part. The disturbing position by TWS is their support for Best Management Practices (BMP). I wish this group would not have drank the kool-ade served by USFWS. BMP is an incomplete and bias document to further restrict trapping opportunities. I further believe that when this documents is finished, it will be the guide lines for regulated trapping on all federal lands. Alaskans refused to take part in the kool-ade drinking party of BMP, but it may be forced down the throats of Alaskans trapping on federal lands.
https://wildlife.org/tws-standing-position-traps-trapping-and-furbearer-management/

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: The Wildlife Society supports trapping [Re: isnarewolves] #6931463
07/16/20 11:27 AM
07/16/20 11:27 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
I think I was President of ATA when this all started up. ATA cautiously supported the "concept" of BMPs at first. But we asked for some assurances. One was that for Alaska, that they did not mandate a 24 hour trap check as part of the testing protocol. The BMP folks originally agreed, but then turned right around and required it. Strike One!

Our other concern was that the BMP results would morph into a regulatory REQUIREMENT. We were assured that they would forevermore be just "suggestions...." By this time, we were leery and just did not believe them. Strike Two!

Finally, it became clear that the only reason that ATA was being asked to sign on and help out, was to add some credibility to the testing here. Strike THREE!

And so, despite the pressure (and it was INTENSE) to join in, we withdrew from the process.

In retrospect, as the above post shows, we were pretty smart to do this. I'm afraid it is going to get worse. ATA will continue to fight it, but clearly we were clever to resist the Kool Aid! We CANNOT be blamed for being complicit!

Pete

Re: The Wildlife Society supports trapping [Re: isnarewolves] #6931602
07/16/20 01:44 PM
07/16/20 01:44 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Contact your local A/C. You'll notice that the text of the proposal does not stop at federal lands but specifically mentions state lands.

Mean As Nails
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman