Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Bobcat scratching post/toilet #6945669
07/28/20 06:53 PM
07/28/20 06:53 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
I have never seen either one in the wild. Is there a particular environment where they are normally located? Can they be found any time of year?

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Bobcat scratching post/toilet [Re: Yukon John] #6945766
07/28/20 08:15 PM
07/28/20 08:15 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
I don't see many scratch posts but they can be confused for a buck rub.Male cats make a "V" shaped,kick back scrape,that may or may not contain scat.Some areas may have toilets with multiple scat piles,but here,it is often one or two exposed scat.They like the base of big trees or cedars.Often,scat is deposited on prominent spots of well frequented trails or under ledges.Even one scat may indicate a significant location.I think when there are a lot of cats,marking of any type,seems to be more frequent.Keep in mind,in some areas of the country,dung beetles,other insects and pack rats may make off with scat.Just because you don't find a a lot of sign,doesn't mean there are no cats.I don't know a lot about scratch posts but I would think,in your country,cedars would be a good bet.

You can find scat year round but if insects are a problem,you may find more in colder months.In my country,I find cat scat on high ridges where I know they will not be when the snow gets deep.If you don't have high elevations,this won't be an issue.Good luck.

Re: Bobcat scratching post/toilet [Re: Yukon John] #6945954
07/28/20 11:31 PM
07/28/20 11:31 PM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
I've found what I believe to be a scratching/marking tree. (The only one) ran onto it while morel hunting a few yrs ago up under thick cedars. It had multiple scat piles and a couple scratch marks in the old rotted nettle. The cedar was about softball sized at the base with scratch marks from maybe 2.5 ft down. I'd never find that spot again if I tried I had shrooms on the brain an was picking down on our knees

Re: Bobcat scratching post/toilet [Re: Yukon John] #6945971
07/29/20 12:00 AM
07/29/20 12:00 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Wow, thanks guys! Maybe these spots are more elusive than I thought!

Re: Bobcat scratching post/toilet [Re: Yukon John] #6946234
07/29/20 10:01 AM
07/29/20 10:01 AM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
You just need to learn your country,scout good cat locations,identify travelways and you will find sign and soon you will get better and better at it,at least toilets and scrapes.

Re: Bobcat scratching post/toilet [Re: Yukon John] #6946264
07/29/20 10:34 AM
07/29/20 10:34 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
In all my years of trapping the only scratching tree I've ever found was last year. That being said I have never spent much time looking for them either.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Bobcat scratching post/toilet [Re: Yukon John] #6946573
07/29/20 03:13 PM
07/29/20 03:13 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've seen quite a few scratching trees over the years of wandering in the woods. But I have hounds and hunt cats with them so I always have cat on the brain. All the trees I ever saw were cedars, or I have seen a few times where they scratched on 4x4 posts for forest service road signs.
The scat toilets, I see quite regular, because my dogs all run over there, they think cat crap is a delicacy laugh Usually on the sides of old roads under trees in the loose duff, although I also have seen them on ridges. Always where there is some soft dirt or duff, they are like a housecat that way.

Re: Bobcat scratching post/toilet [Re: bearcat2] #6946719
07/29/20 05:55 PM
07/29/20 05:55 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline OP
trapper
Yukon John  Offline OP
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by bearcat2
I've seen quite a few scratching trees over the years of wandering in the woods. But I have hounds and hunt cats with them so I always have cat on the brain. All the trees I ever saw were cedars, or I have seen a few times where they scratched on 4x4 posts for forest service road signs.
The scat toilets, I see quite regular, because my dogs all run over there, they think cat crap is a delicacy laugh Usually on the sides of old roads under trees in the loose duff, although I also have seen them on ridges. Always where there is some soft dirt or duff, they are like a housecat that way.

Cool, I'm definitely gonna keep my eyes peeled. We have a ton of cedars here!

Re: Bobcat scratching post/toilet [Re: Yukon John] #6951249
08/02/20 01:00 AM
08/02/20 01:00 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Online content
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Online Content
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
When I was young I spent a lot of time looking for the perfect this or the perfect that. I caught fur but I assure you I was over thinking it. 2 years in a row I trapped along several high bank rivers and I caught way more coyotes and bobcats both.

It changed the way I look at the land- a high bank limits a travel way and causes choke points and that is what I set now. Sometimes I see sign and that is great. Sometimes I dont see that much sign (cattle stomp and poop on everything) but the lay of the land suggest anyone roaming around should use this trail. I find a pair of choke points, I set them, and I catch fur.

The big ol toms are what I want come breeding season they are prime. They are following the females scent in the breeze and trying to breed as many as they can. If I guess which way he might come, I can snag a cat that has never been there b4 so obviously he has never left sign there.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91