ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: Boco] #7254964
04/30/21 12:21 AM
04/30/21 12:21 AM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted by Boco
In my studies I have found that animals are attracted to magnetic fields-especially those given off by snares and bodygrips.
It lines up their heads /bodys on approach with the snare or bodygrip and makes them want to stick their heads thru.

You need to write a book, and sell it ad nauseum on a trapping site... smile

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #7255081
04/30/21 08:17 AM
04/30/21 08:17 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Or, like people and animals do when navigating any place with highly visible obstacles like trees, sticks, brush, branches, fences, wire, rocks, etc., they don't require a 6th magnetic sense to pass through them without losing an eye, but simply their eyes to tell them to go around or through whatever is in their path, pretty basic. Ad nauseam seems to fit the above. I recall a video with a skip that kept going back to the same spot, the video with no end which dovetails well with magnetism...

In the 80's when trapping California, we were able to catch 'cats in blind sets in the very same trails people were hiking and without either being the wiser to the fact that we were using subtile tools to direct them. By placing small rocks and sticks in the right places on the ground for the 'cats to avoid where branches protruded into the trails at chest or head high, we could steer 'cats into the traps on the ground while pushing hikers away from the sets. Not magic, not magnetic, just understanding how animals and people react to obstacles, visual. I know this does not carry with it the mystique and wonder of magnetism, but if it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: 52Carl] #7255087
04/30/21 08:29 AM
04/30/21 08:29 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Originally Posted by Boco
In my studies I have found that animals are attracted to magnetic fields-especially those given off by snares and bodygrips.
It lines up their heads /bodys on approach with the snare or bodygrip and makes them want to stick their heads thru.

You need to write a book, and sell it ad nauseum on a trapping site... smile

Here is an example.
When i set the odd foothold for lynx I use a snare on the end of a pole to restrain them.
A lynx will sit quite still after the initial ruckus when you first show up.
By moving the snare and pole VERY slowly toward the lynx head he will not be spooked.
He can see the loop just fine and when it gets close to his whiskers they will put their head directly thru the loop.
No need to try to force the loop over their head-they move their head thru the circle very slowly guided by their eyesight at first and their whiskers and ear tufts.
This takes patience.
They have no aversion at all to a loop of cable.It triggers some innate instinct.They want to put their head thru.
I have no idea actually how magnetism is involved but it sure doesnt deter them in my experience.

Last edited by Boco; 04/30/21 08:32 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: Jim Comstock] #7255357
04/30/21 05:18 PM
04/30/21 05:18 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Jim Comstock
Or, like people and animals do when navigating any place with highly visible obstacles like trees, sticks, brush, branches, fences, wire, rocks, etc., they don't require a 6th magnetic sense to pass through them without losing an eye, but simply their eyes to tell them to go around or through whatever is in their path, pretty basic. Ad nauseam seems to fit the above. I recall a video with a skip that kept going back to the same spot, the video with no end which dovetails well with magnetism...

In the 80's when trapping California, we were able to catch 'cats in blind sets in the very same trails people were hiking and without either being the wiser to the fact that we were using subtile tools to direct them. By placing small rocks and sticks in the right places on the ground for the 'cats to avoid where branches protruded into the trails at chest or head high, we could steer 'cats into the traps on the ground while pushing hikers away from the sets. Not magic, not magnetic, just understanding how animals and people react to obstacles, visual. I know this does not carry with it the mystique and wonder of magnetism, but if it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

If you don’t know the answer you don’t need to make one up. Cats can’t see or since the magnetic field or the positive ions that are illuminating off of the device. It’s on page 23 of my book.
Sometimes They can feel it as explained in my book.
I stand behind what I have written. It’s too bad people have to make up things to go along. It just hurts the industry.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #7255485
04/30/21 09:39 PM
04/30/21 09:39 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Boco, a snare could attract a amount

Thinking Ham radio here....

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #7255717
05/01/21 11:27 AM
05/01/21 11:27 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
This seems kind of like searching for Bigfoot, solving the "mystery of Oak Island," or maybe the movie Much to do about Nothing. The only part that is a mystery is how people get drawn into "deep" discussions to create non existent worries about so much that is unworthy of anyone's time. This has to be one for the record books. If a trapper simply hit delete he wouldn't be missing anything here, more like doing himself a favor. This is merely about understand animals. You can go to YouTube to watch bobcats being released with catch poles and see exactly how they react, no mystery.

Two things with bobcats that come to mind, they don't know what the catch pole is and what you are doing with it and because the cat will NEVER EVER lose eye contact with you when you are using the pole. A cat will never look at the loop, pay any attention to it or look away either. They are focussed 100% on you, your eyes, period. The last 600+ bobcats I caught all responded in the same manner, like the YouTube videos, nothing to do with ions or wanting to put their head in the loop either. They just remain motionless and allow you to put the loop on them because you are what concerns them and they don't understand what is going on. If you move slowly the loop goes on with no problem.

Judy and I once released a female bobcat about thirty feet from where we decided to eat lunch under some live oaks. It was neat to watch what happened. For 45 minutes the cat sat there and watched us intently while we ate our lunch. If I stood up, she stood up. If I sat down, she sat down. It wasn't until we started to walk away and got out of her immediate comfort zone that she finally felt safe enough to bolt. Another time I remember, after having a couple of drinks actually, putting my middle finger in a caged bobcat's crotch to see if it was a male, while he was spitting and growling. It made him pretty uncomfortable as you might guess, but he never looked anywhere but right into my eyes and never tried to hook me either as you would have thought.

Maybe I'm the luckiest guy in the whole world after just catching another 30 beaver this spring in cages without electronic, magnetic, ionic, refusals, bringing the total to 1,555, with 7 of the most recent jobs done in one night using only two traps on each of 6 jobs. Or, maybe my success is more the norm and I'm not lucky at all.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #7255799
05/01/21 01:04 PM
05/01/21 01:04 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
A lynx wont let you put a loop over its head,it will swat it away if its moving.Hold it still for about a minute right in front of their face and they will move forward and place their head right thru the center of the loop.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: Jim Comstock] #7255878
05/01/21 04:17 PM
05/01/21 04:17 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Placing a trap or part of a trap underwater hides the induction intensity radiating off of the parts of the trap.
Comstock traps has always stated About its beaver trap That it works best in10 to 12 inches of water. By placing the trap underwater or parts underwater hides the magnetic field induction variance.When testing the trap I found that the magnetic field induction variance from that of the earth is five times greater at the swing bar. The trap has to be placed to cover that swing bar with water to best effectively catch beaver and otter.
This subtantiates my book.
A trap that has a reduced induction going all the way through the trap overtime will catch more animals Especially animals that carry the molecule crypto chrome.Especially also when the trap is set on land or very shallow water.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #7256733
05/03/21 09:12 AM
05/03/21 09:12 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Not sure of the value in quoting oneself, repeatedly. The beaver traps with wire triggers were of course made to be a swim through trap, which sets them apart from pan traps and provides more versatility in setting options, to be set primarily in or under water, but also on land. Just got photos from a trapper in Massachusetts who set the 12x18x39 traps on land right side up so that the actual opening was only a little less than 11 inches high, something I have not done though others have over the years. Quite a pleasant surprise as he caught two 70 pound beaver! The photos are on our facebook page. They look like little bears. These traps work great at any depth, 2, 3, 4, 5 feet, whatever, but when using castor setting the traps in just over a foot of water where they are narrowed which would making avoiding them a real chore, so they don't. Two traps set side by side, a few inches apart, just under water, for a pair of beaver at dark will quite often clean the colony in a few hours.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #7256780
05/03/21 11:03 AM
05/03/21 11:03 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
We have found that if we use magnetic trigger wires in our Comstocks that we will catch all the animals that have metal plates in their heads!

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: Kirk De] #7256844
05/03/21 01:07 PM
05/03/21 01:07 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Kirk De
Placing a trap or part of a trap underwater hides the induction intensity radiating off of the parts of the trap.
Comstock traps has always stated About its beaver trap That it works best in10 to 12 inches of water. By placing the trap underwater or parts underwater hides the magnetic field induction variance.When testing the trap I found that the magnetic field induction variance from that of the earth is five times greater at the swing bar. The trap has to be placed to cover that swing bar with water to best effectively catch beaver and otter.
This subtantiates my book.
A trap that has a reduced induction going all the way through the trap overtime will catch more animals Especially animals that carry the molecule crypto chrome.Especially also when the trap is set on land or very shallow water.

I stand behind my post. Especially the last paragraph. My book explains why not just in Cage traps .

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #7257277
05/04/21 08:21 AM
05/04/21 08:21 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Thanks for sharing your experiences Paul, "very helpful." People can believe whatever they like, but I have always been one to follow what is described by Occams Razor, that is, "The simplest of explanations is the most likely to be correct." Experience has always been the best teacher. If I had had 10 refusals with 12 cage traps yesterday my attitude would be far different. But, there were in fact no refusals while I caught 10 beaver in 12 swim through cage traps. We posted it on Facebook. At one colony I simply ran out of beaver as there were three traps set with only two beaver at that site and at the last location I put trap number 4 in water at dark in a set that I knew was of little value just to get the last trap out. And so it went, 2 for 3, 5 for 5 and 3 for 4. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," as in, if something is working well, leave it alone.

Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: WileyKiller] #7277646
06/01/21 09:58 PM
06/01/21 09:58 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
The problem with saying you have no refusals...unless you have a camera on every set, you don't know.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: Magnetic field in cage traps help me Kirk [Re: TownsendTraps] #7301918
07/08/21 01:32 PM
07/08/21 01:32 PM
Alabama
S
Sandy Ray Offline
trapper
Sandy Ray  Offline
trapper
S

Alabama
Did your traps ever make it to market?