ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Jim Comstock] #6950801
08/01/20 06:51 PM
08/01/20 06:51 PM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline OP
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline OP
trapper
U

Canada
Originally Posted by Jim Comstock
... If they are there, they get caught quickly. I find the biggest stressor related to animals getting educated is due to experiencing the capture of mom, dad and their brothers and sisters, seeing the others day after day caught in cages or conibears. Once they see 2,3 or 4 of their family group in a trap for several days in a row at a location they sometimes become both trap and location shy.

I usually have a camera on my traps and have only seen one animal not go all the way to the back of the cage to get the food there, so while it's possible that animals detect magnetic fields (migratory birds apparently use them to navigate), it would be my guess that when encountering a different magnetic field for the first time (a cage), if it wasn't educated, it would be thinking about the food, first. In the wild, this may be more important that in urban settings, but in urban settings, with all the cans, cars, piles of junk, metal posts, fences, electrical fields, I'd think that this information wouldn't be as useful to an animal. In the wild, a metal object would be seen as foreign, but in an an urban environment, it's just part of the environment. In the end, as long as I'm catching what I see on my camera's, I'll keep it simple.

I do try to set as many traps as animals I think are there. It simplifies things in the end. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that raccoons travelling in groups will hang out for a bit waiting for their trapped buddy/family member. If there is another trap, it seems a good chance that if you get one, you'll get another--has this been your experience?

It has also been my experience that if you know where the animals are, they are generally pretty cooperative in doing their part.

Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Urbancoon] #6950828
08/01/20 07:09 PM
08/01/20 07:09 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
You’re right except a raccoon Doesn’t have the ability to see A magnetic field. I think he could feel it if it was Strong enough.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Urbancoon] #6951624
08/02/20 02:31 PM
08/02/20 02:31 PM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline OP
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline OP
trapper
U

Canada
Well, turns out our neighbourhood skunk just couldn't resist more marshmallows. A few more modifications to my cage transfer device, and if there is a next time, all will go much smoother.

I was going to include a picture, but the stink....

For those who may want to know, I have the kind of cage where the front door swings open from the top and then swings down shut and is kept closed by two rings that slide down the front.

I'm going to make a barrier out of wood dowels or metal rods that I can slide down between the wire mesh to block off the door so that when I open the trap door, I don't have to worry about the next skunk escaping when I lift the rings up out of the way (so I can open the door). My skunk started to push against the door, and I thought I was going to lose it again....

On the tube that I transfer the skunk into, I have to modify it a bit so that it doesn't have to go into the cage at all, so that when the skunk goes into the tube, I can slide a piece of something over the end of the tube so that I can move the tube easily away from the cage.

Thanks all for your feedback. I am always appreciative of the feedback I get here!

Last edited by Urbancoon; 08/02/20 04:19 PM.
Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Urbancoon] #6951649
08/02/20 02:48 PM
08/02/20 02:48 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by Urbancoon
Well, turns our neighbourhood skunk just couldn't resist more marshmallows. A few more modifications to my cage transfer device, and if there is a next time, all will go much smoother.

I was going to include a picture, but the stink....

For those who may want to know, I have the kind of cage where the front door swings open from the top and when swings down shut and is kept closed by two rings that slide down the front.

I'm going to make a barrier out of wood dowels or metal rods that I can slide down between the wire mesh to block off the door so that when I open the trap door, I don't have to worry about the next skunk escaping when I lift the rings up out of the way (so I can open the door). My skunk started to push against the door, and I thought I was going to lose it again....

On the tube that I transfer the skunk into, I have to modify it a bit so that it doesn't have to go into the cage at all, so that when the skunk goes into the tube, I can slide a piece of something over the end of the tube so that I can then move the tube easily away from the cage.

Thanks all for your feedback. I am always appreciative of the feedback I get here!

I would suggest you test your trap to see if it has a positive or a negative field going through and into the trap. Duke traps and true catch traps have ring locking door traps that pass the test. There should be many others out there. That way you can compare as you’re trapping this next year.

Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Kirk De] #6951791
08/02/20 05:35 PM
08/02/20 05:35 PM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline OP
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline OP
trapper
U

Canada
Originally Posted by Kirk De

I would suggest you test your trap to see if it has a positive or a negative field going through and into the trap. Duke traps and true catch traps have ring locking door traps that pass the test. There should be many others out there. That way you can compare as you’re trapping this next year.

Thanks for the suggestion, but for the amount of trapping I do, it's not going to to make much of a difference. Not including squirrels and roof rats, I trap maybe 6 animals a year. From the research I've done about animals that live in urban environments, they have very small territories. To rephrase Arnold Schwarzenegger, "They'll be back."

But, that said, I just purchased a discount raccoon-sized trap and, if it doesn't get destroyed by the exceeding large and fat raccoon I picked up on my camera the other day, I could do an experiement. I did modify the trap though, adding some 1/4" hardwire mesh to the back of the cage to keep the animals from reaching in, but still, two different cages.

Since I have two cages and have the time, I'm willing to experiment. Won't be entirely scientific as the cages are slightly different sizes, present themselves differently (barred-overhanging door vs aluminium spring door, one has been scented by other animals, not to mention any prior experience the animal would have with a similar trap, but it would be interesting to see if the trap makes a difference.

I'll put the cages side by side and see what comes of it. Assuming that the cages I have are different on at least polarity or field strength, could I put one cage right beside the other, to see if a cage makes a difference? Does the proximity of one cage to another make any difference? If not side-by-side, how far apart would they have to be?

Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Urbancoon] #6951805
08/02/20 05:50 PM
08/02/20 05:50 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
You just need a trap that has a reduced field compared to another trap. Sitting in close together should not matter too much I think it would be better to be a few inches apart if one is of one field and one is another

Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Urbancoon] #6952239
08/02/20 11:26 PM
08/02/20 11:26 PM
Northern Minnesota
W
webfootwhacker Offline
trapper
webfootwhacker  Offline
trapper
W

Northern Minnesota
Have you ever taken a magnetic reading inside of a galvanized culvert under a driveway? Would be interested to know since skunks certainly love going into them.

Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: webfootwhacker] #6952420
08/03/20 08:47 AM
08/03/20 08:47 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Originally Posted by webfootwhacker
Have you ever taken a magnetic reading inside of a galvanized culvert under a driveway? Would be interested to know since skunks certainly love going into them.

Read the information on my threads in the past year that I wrote. Take your own readings with your iPhone. If your answers are not clear read my book from beginning to end you may have to read it twice. A lot of it will be determined as to where you live material used whether it’s ribbed or the size of the opening. Even the contact material on the outside of the pipe. I would think because you’re in Canada it would have lesser of affect do the factors that I mentioned in the past.
Easiest most productive way is just to use one trap that has a magnetic field that is higher than the induction of the earth and another trap that the interior field is less than the induction of the earth.Just test them

Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Urbancoon] #6962537
08/12/20 10:18 PM
08/12/20 10:18 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Yes trap shy and trap smart, But also I see where they can get shy of anything near the den when they have young. By moving the trap away to the spot where they are coming from or going I have seen skunks go right into the same trap same bait when it was moved a distance away. .I call it den safety factors. I was going to give a cage trapping talk at the expo this year that I was going to cover this.

Last edited by Jonesie; 08/12/20 10:19 PM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Jonesie] #6963472
08/14/20 01:45 AM
08/14/20 01:45 AM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline OP
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline OP
trapper
U

Canada
Originally Posted by Jonesie
...they can get shy of anything near the den when they have young. By moving the trap away to the spot where they are coming from or going I have seen skunks go right into the same trap same bait when it was moved a distance away. .I call it den safety factors. I was going to give a cage trapping talk at the expo this year that I was going to cover this.

Good information to know. Thanks.

Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Urbancoon] #6963676
08/14/20 11:01 AM
08/14/20 11:01 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Ron, I find the same thing to be true with lots of animals! Set the cage out right in front of them and they are wary. Hide it a little, so that they think they found something, and they go right in!

Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Urbancoon] #6964592
08/15/20 09:28 AM
08/15/20 09:28 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I think it is better to let the animal to decide to go in rather that try to make them go in mind set in safety factor situation. It seems that a animal walking down the trail with no cares will decide to go into a cage easier than say a skunk coming out of the safe den with young in tow and this thing is right there that wasn't. Her behavior is protecting the young so avoid any negative in her face. Move it back a little and the safety factor is not and strong.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Do Skunks Get Trap Shy? [Re: Urbancoon] #6968926
08/19/20 11:56 PM
08/19/20 11:56 PM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline OP
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline OP
trapper
U

Canada
Had my cages out again last night. Tucked it away a bit. Caught another skunk. Can't believe it. Never smelled one for years in this area and caught another a bit over two weeks after the first.

Went more smoothly than the last time, but hope I don't have to do that again soon. It didn't spray, and I hope it's just my imagination, but I can still smell it....

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread