Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tip for making traps "offset" legal #6953444
08/04/20 12:26 AM
08/04/20 12:26 AM
Indiana
K
kyron4 Offline OP
trapper
kyron4  Offline OP
trapper
K

Indiana
In Indiana traps with an inside spread over 5 3/4" have to have a 1/8" offset. I got a killer deal on a dozen Duke #3 regular jaw traps a few years ago and decided to use them this year on the coyote line. I ordered 6 pairs of offset jaws from F&T and replaced one jaw on each trap. This gave me the 1/8" offset required. Cost less than replacing both jaws and the offset won't be so big that skunk and coon can pull out. They look a little funny but should work just fine and meets the requirements.

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6953453
08/04/20 01:17 AM
08/04/20 01:17 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Sounds like a good idea, thanks for sharing.

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6953468
08/04/20 02:20 AM
08/04/20 02:20 AM
Arkansas
B
bobcat_trapper Offline
trapper
bobcat_trapper  Offline
trapper
B

Arkansas
That will work. Here in Arkansas it just has to be offset. So when I find a good deal. U can spot weld a little spot on each jaw. Just a little bump out of the way. U will have offset jaws. I am going to help another trapper. He has a bunch of regular jaws coyote traps. Going to fix them for him to save money.

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6953490
08/04/20 06:14 AM
08/04/20 06:14 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Amazing that the people we trust to manage wildlife make a rule for offset jaws in the first place. They dont have clue one what the design is really all about, so welding a lug in a regular trap makes them happy.

Its no wonder that rabbit, quail, prairie chickens, bullfrogs and muskrats disappearing don't bother them. They spend all their time in an office without a clue what is happening in the natural world.

Maybe we need to get them to drink a glass of atrazene every morning for awhile to get their attention. You know, like the kid who ate smart pills.

Last edited by danny clifton; 08/04/20 06:17 AM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6953694
08/04/20 10:06 AM
08/04/20 10:06 AM
Arkansas
B
bobcat_trapper Offline
trapper
bobcat_trapper  Offline
trapper
B

Arkansas
May not be legal in KS. But it is here I fix them with gap like a offset trap has . I have bought used traps at yard sale. Some had wire wrapped jaw on sides to make them offset but that was yrs ago.

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6953735
08/04/20 10:39 AM
08/04/20 10:39 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Sometimes you can turn one jaw around to make an offset

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6953891
08/04/20 02:36 PM
08/04/20 02:36 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Bobcat trapper you missed my whole point. Fish and game people are often unaware that the offset is to hold animals tighter something welding in a lug does not do. pS its legal here to

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6954059
08/04/20 05:32 PM
08/04/20 05:32 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Just make sure your levers still come up high enough for a good lock up. I'm sure you have already but make sure you grind or file off any sharp edges to minimize foot damage. Worse thing imo with offsets is front foot caught coon but with 1/8 you should be good.

Life member,

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6954074
08/04/20 05:41 PM
08/04/20 05:41 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Hey danny, Atrazine is 8X's less toxic than aspirin so if your text was to blame it for a reduction in wildlife species I have to wonder about your source. Check the LD-50 toxicology on both if in doubt.. It does reduce herbaceous annuals (weeds) for cleaner cropping thus reducing the cover aspect of habitat but which one of those two,,, aspirin vs. atrazine is taken orally on a regular basis? It gets easy to "blame" things w/o digging into the science of the suspected culprit. And the better we qualify the sources of our science the better informed we become. Atrazine or aatrex got some bad publicity due to it hanging around in the environment with a longer half life than some ag chemicals. Lots of activist and politicians were geared toward long lived chemicals to make a name for themselves AFTER the DDT findings in the 70's and 80's. Plus our systems of testing were refined to fine molecules in the ppb range,,,,,,,,, but atrazine was not accumulative in living tissue like DDT or Mercury for that matter. Jimminy,,,,,,,all the studies I see show city/suburban dwellers put a lot more chem pesticides per acre on their lawns, parks, lots etc. (with higher runoff rates) than are applied by the ag industry on cropland..... my take

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6954226
08/04/20 07:46 PM
08/04/20 07:46 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
wonder why its banned all across europe? asprin is still legal. yet when i get a drink of water there is plenty of atrazine in it but no aspirin? just another mystery i guess

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6954236
08/04/20 07:50 PM
08/04/20 07:50 PM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
You can do this as well. Most cutoff grinding wheels are 1/8 inch and if you have a somewhat steady hand you can take that wheel right between the jaws. When done file smooth and done . This also keeps the levers able to lockup as high as they are supposed to. Did this years ago when I was poor.

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6955029
08/05/20 12:08 PM
08/05/20 12:08 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
The OP's method sounds pretty slick.I don't like the idea of welding a lug or wire etc to make the gap as it reduces lockup which is more important.Wolfdog51 had a good video on this and he went one step further and ground the jaws so the levers come up just as they did before the offset lugs were added.That is a pretty good way to go.

If you try any of these methods and end up with an offset that is uneven,like the offset gap is wider in the center,just put the area of the jaws in your vice and gradually tighten it till the gap is perfectly even.I is very easy.

If the trap jaws are closer in the center,put the proper thickness bar stock in that spot and use the vice to squeeze in the jaws on either side of it.Again,you can get a perfect gap.

Personally,if I need or want offset jawed traps,I buy them that way

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6955033
08/05/20 12:13 PM
08/05/20 12:13 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
In my mind grinding the jaws where they meet the levers Is going to weaken those jaws. In my opinion you would be better off grinding the Inside edges of the spring levers.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: The Beav] #6957145
08/07/20 01:27 PM
08/07/20 01:27 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Originally Posted by The Beav
In my mind grinding the jaws where they meet the levers Is going to weaken those jaws. In my opinion you would be better off grinding the Inside edges of the spring levers.

Beav, the hinge at the bottom of the jaw is always going to be less thick than the ramp area after grinding, in my opinion most traps will benefit from grinding the ramp areas so that the levers can not only come up higher but end on a relative flat spot that creates lockup. You won't grind enough off the outside of the jaw to make the jaw weaker until you have ground it down to the 1/8" or so at the hinge.
Put a 3/8" dowel in most coil spring traps and look at the ramp-lockup-lever relationship and most traps need the ramp (outside of jaw) modified, but most trappers just buy bigger springs.

Danny's point was that offset jaws on traps don't do what the people writing the regs think they do and that those people don't even try to find out what makes the trap work. The reason for making jaws gape is to let the levers come up higher, and that is not the reason given by the regulaters.
Even some trappers have erroneous beliefs about what a gape/offset can and cannot accomplish. I've read on this very forum things like offset making the animal more comfortable or putting less pressure on the skin and that is obviously wrong, all the mechanics of contact are the same until the offset is so large as to allow slippage.

What is called offset really is not offset but it is gaped, Offset would mean the jaws bypassed one another. I think a lug or weld bead that only creates 1/8" gape is not going to have any effect at all on a trap with 3/8" or larger foot in it, it can't close down to that lug anyhow and the levers can only rise to the point where the jaws grip the leg/foot. regardless of the lug. You can test this with a pencil, insert the pencil like a leg and see if you can get the jaws to touch at the lug.

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6957422
08/07/20 07:25 PM
08/07/20 07:25 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
The pencil test is a good idea, take a pencil and snap a offset jawed trap and see what happens to the pencil. Probably not much if the offset is between 3/16 and a 1/4 inch. Now remember how thick a coyotes foot bones are. Then put your pencil between a closed jaw trap and set it off. What is your pencil going to look like? (Smashed) not all bones will be broken but i prefer not to take that chance. Imo offsets were made for extended checks, but if you can't check your traps first thing in the morning i consider it an extended check because a coyote will really work the trap hard when daylight breaks. Anyone that has been trapping for very long should know that broken bones = bad news.
Also you can make any trap made lock up higher with a little grinding on the lever side of the jaws.

Life member,

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6957937
08/08/20 09:09 AM
08/08/20 09:09 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
A pencil isnt a bone or a foot. Next time you catch a coyote in an offset trap look to see if the foot is wide enough to still hold the jaws open a bit. Even this little fox is still holding that big mb650 open a bit.

[Linked Image]

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: kyron4] #6957944
08/08/20 09:17 AM
08/08/20 09:17 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The offset allows the jaws to close closer together. Since the jaws are closer together the lever's can come up higher. When the lever comes up higher it creates more leverage, a mechanical advantage. So long as the animal caught is a target species, and its foot holds the jaws apart a bit, the trap holds TIGHTER than a non offset.

That is the reason for the offset jaw. We have people writing regs in MANY government agencies that have no knowledge at all of the thing they are regulating. I find that fact to be very frustrating.

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: danny clifton] #6958434
08/08/20 08:23 PM
08/08/20 08:23 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Spot on Danny, great post.. The mechanical advantage is real.. Pop the springs off and use a grinder to create the offset. It's easy..

Last edited by trappergbus; 08/08/20 08:36 PM.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: trappergbus] #6958516
08/08/20 09:40 PM
08/08/20 09:40 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by trappergbus
Spot on Danny, great post.. The mechanical advantage is real.. Pop the springs off and use a grinder to create the offset. It's easy..

Got any pics of this easy grinder created offsets? Sounds really interesting and would love to see it. If no pics would really like to know what traps your grinding on.

Life member,

Re: Tip for making traps "offset" legal [Re: danny clifton] #6958799
08/09/20 08:33 AM
08/09/20 08:33 AM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
A pencil isnt a bone or a foot. Next time you catch a coyote in an offset trap look to see if the foot is wide enough to still hold the jaws open a bit. Even this little fox is still holding that big mb650 open a bit.

[Linked Image]

So you don't think there would be more damage to that fox's paw if it were not for the offset? I agree with the mechanical advantage. Imo offsets help 2 ways, more lock up and less damage especially to non targets. But with that said a person has to be careful to get the right amount of offset vs spring strength so the foot does not slide back and forth in the jaws
It's possible to add more lock up with more spring strength but then should be laminated.

Life member,

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91