No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: danny clifton] #6960753
08/11/20 07:43 AM
08/11/20 07:43 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Why would anybody run out with a gun in their gun hand over somebody banging on the door and running off? Which is what the girlfriend said they thought was going on.

The cops thought somebody might be smacking his partner around so they don't stand in front of the door. They yell police and figure the occupants hear them.

Nut job runs out with a gun to show the kids knocking on the door and running off how tough he is.

Cop see's a nut with a gun.

How many of you are going to run out your front door, gun in hand, because somebody bangs on the door? Guy had a Rambo complex. He did not need killing but I can see how it happened. If I think a gun fight is about to start, but I have the drop on the other guy, I'm not going to assume its a scene from a movie where two people are going to stand with guns pointed at each other talking instead of shooting.

I disagree. Who knows what's going on these days. For all you know it could be a BLM mob with the wrong address, someone waiting for the door to open, force their way in for a home invasion, a hopped up meth head, it could be any number of things. He wasn't living in Mayberry. he was living in the 4th largest city in the country. I would be armed also, just not in my hands. Then again, without being able to see who was there, I would have not opened the door in the first place but that's another matter.

Last edited by Finster; 08/11/20 07:44 AM.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6960754
08/11/20 07:44 AM
08/11/20 07:44 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Why would anybody run out with a gun in their gun hand over somebody banging on the door and running off? Which is what the girlfriend said they thought was going on.

The cops thought somebody might be smacking his partner around so they don't stand in front of the door. They yell police and figure the occupants hear them.

Nut job runs out with a gun to show the kids knocking on the door and running off how tough he is.

How many of you are going to run out your front door, gun in hand, because somebody bangs on the door? Guy had a Rambo complex. He did not need killing but I can see how it happened. If I think a gun fight is about to start, but I have the drop on the other guy, I'm not going to assume its a scene from a movie where two people are going to stand with guns pointed at each other talking instead of shooting.

I think we all agree that running outside with a gun in his hand was a bonehead move.

It may have been dumb but it wasn't illegal and in no way excuses the cop for firing three shots at an individual who is kneeling with one hand up, laying down his weapon and trying to comply with shouted orders.

Eh...wot?

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6960755
08/11/20 07:47 AM
08/11/20 07:47 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
I know this is going to come across like a smart arse comment but that's not my intention, honestly, incidents of poor judgement around firearms are far more likely in a society strong on gun rights and practices.

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #6960783
08/11/20 08:09 AM
08/11/20 08:09 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
I know this is going to come across like a smart arse comment but that's not my intention, honestly, incidents of poor judgement around firearms are far more likely in a society strong on gun rights and practices.

Okay?

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: danny clifton] #6960844
08/11/20 08:58 AM
08/11/20 08:58 AM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.

If you do not act the way I would have or deem appropriate, then you don't need killin, But, heck its alright? Danny a man is dead for no reason. A man shot another man in the back. We should be lookin for a tree and a rope.

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6960887
08/11/20 09:36 AM
08/11/20 09:36 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Things sure have changed. Twenty-five years ago I went to a friends house because he was intoxicated and talking suicide. I got there to see him on the back deck with a shotgun in his mouth. He took it out long enough to shout at me to not come any closer. As he went to reposition the gun fired, kicked and caused him to fall. He scrabbled to get up and pump another shell but I was on him. We wrestled with the gun once it was clear of everything I reached down and pulled the trigger. That’s 2 shotgun blast in a matter of seconds 11:30 or so at night. The police had been notified as I left my house so now I’m just hanging on to him waiting for them to show up.

After about 10 mins the phone rings. I talked him into walking in the house with me to answer the phone. It’s my wife, I ask if “help” was on the way and she informs me they are there sitting in the driveway, LISTENING to what is going on behind the house. I said they might want to come to the door now. lol I can laugh about it today but at the time I could have used some help as my friend wasn’t feeling any pain. That is until the next day when he called and asked what happen to his shoulder and where did all the splinters come from.

I suppose today they just would have rushed up and shot us both.

-Goofy-
Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6961107
08/11/20 02:36 PM
08/11/20 02:36 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
^^^^^^
I know of an incident 10 years ago where two young guys (drunk friends) were arguing over a cigarette lighter. One of the guys shoots the other in the leg with a 22. It's 4AM, someone else at the house calls the local cop. The cop told me he didn't show up until 8AM in order to give everyone a little time to sober up, as he didn't want to get shot and he didn't want anyone else to get hurt.
This was in a small town in Alaska; too bad law enforcement everywhere can't operate with that kind of discretion and wisdom. It seems like a good percentage of cops nowadays are looking for an excuse to go in with guns blazing.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: Lugnut] #6961141
08/11/20 03:45 PM
08/11/20 03:45 PM
SE Iowa
S
seiowatrapper Offline
trapper
seiowatrapper  Offline
trapper
S

SE Iowa
Originally Posted by Lugnut

I think we all agree that running outside with a gun in his hand was a bonehead move.

It may have been dumb but it wasn't illegal and in no way excuses the cop for firing three shots at an individual who is kneeling with one hand up, laying down his weapon and trying to comply with shouted orders.

This is how I see it too. ^^ More than one mistake was made here. The guy answering the door could definitely have played that smarter than that...but I also don't see where the cop was right to shoot him. Did the cops announce that they were cops?

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6961150
08/11/20 03:55 PM
08/11/20 03:55 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
the whole world could use a little more Andy,and a little less Barney. wink

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: pcr2] #6961158
08/11/20 04:06 PM
08/11/20 04:06 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by pcr2
the whole world could use a little more Andy,and a little less Barney. wink

Is Gomer where you come in? laugh

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6961162
08/11/20 04:12 PM
08/11/20 04:12 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
more like that lil crazy woods dude that married Charlene.can't believe i can't remember his name.

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: seiowatrapper] #6961163
08/11/20 04:16 PM
08/11/20 04:16 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by seiowatrapper

This is how I see it too. ^^ More than one mistake was made here. The guy answering the door could definitely have played that smarter than that...but I also don't see where the cop was right to shoot him. Did the cops announce that they were cops?

They did announce that they were "Phoenix Police" when they knocked on the door. They then stepped away from the front of the door (for there own safety) and therefore would not have been visible if the victim used the peephole.

I don't think he heard them announce themselves. I think he heard the knocking, looked out and saw no one then rushed out to see who was banging on his door. As soon as he realized they were police he went from offensive to compliant. He raised his empty hand while kneeling to lay his handgun down with the other hand. That is when the cop behind him fired three shots. At least two of the shots hit him in the back and killed him.

Eh...wot?

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: pcr2] #6961165
08/11/20 04:17 PM
08/11/20 04:17 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
more like that lil crazy woods dude that married Charlene.can't believe i can't remember his name.

Dud Wash

Eh...wot?

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6961166
08/11/20 04:18 PM
08/11/20 04:18 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
Ernest T. Bass

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: Lugnut] #6961173
08/11/20 04:25 PM
08/11/20 04:25 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by seiowatrapper

They did announce that they were "Phoenix Police" when they knocked on the door. They then stepped away from the front of the door (for there own safety) and therefore would not have been visible if the victim used the peephole.

I don't think he heard them announce themselves. I think he heard the knocking, looked out and saw no one then rushed out to see who was banging on his door. As soon as he realized they were police he went from offensive to compliant. He raised his empty hand while kneeling to lay his handgun down with the other hand. That is when the cop behind him fired three shots. At least two of the shots hit him in the back and killed him.

How is that guy not weeded out at the academy?

Perhaps they need to have a periodical psychological review.

When there is no war going on there are some things the Military won’t overlook, so I’m told.

-Goofy-
Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: pcr2] #6961178
08/11/20 04:28 PM
08/11/20 04:28 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA

Dud Wash

Ernest T. Bass

Nope, she had a romance with Ernest and one with Andy but ended up marrying Dud Wash, had a kid with him.

Eh...wot?

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6961182
08/11/20 04:30 PM
08/11/20 04:30 PM
Wis. up North!
2020 Offline
trapper
2020  Offline
trapper

Wis. up North!
I dint have sound on my computer , so just saw the tape, only watched it once---- I see a guy come out with something in his hand, the guy he was looking at must have said something and as the guy started to kneel down, his left hand starting to raise up as to comply-

Cop behind him shoots him in the back- / Sad to say that the back shooter will say that he was protecting his partner , so it's all right. And the Police that will investigate their own will find the same-

Be Kind to Others ![b][/b]

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6961192
08/11/20 04:37 PM
08/11/20 04:37 PM
Llano, Texas, USA
H
Hills of Texas Offline
trapper
Hills of Texas  Offline
trapper
H

Llano, Texas, USA
I’ve watched it several times. It appears that the suspect locked in on the primary officer and never even noticed the secondary flanking the door. I wish I could see the suspects right hand just before shots being fired. I’ve seen people appear to be compliant only to try and get you to drop your guard. It’s very possible he was drawing the weapon as he appeared to be complying and just had bad situational awareness, overlooking the officer right behind him. I don’t believe you can take that video at face value and I can guarantee the officer didn’t want to have to shoot the guy.

Last edited by Hills of Texas; 08/11/20 04:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: Hills of Texas] #6961201
08/11/20 04:43 PM
08/11/20 04:43 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline
trapper
Finster  Offline
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Hills of Texas
I’ve watched it several times. It appears that the suspect locked in on the primary officer and never even noticed the secondary flanking the door. I wish I could see the suspects right hand just before shots being fired. I’ve seen people appear to be compliant only to try and get you to drop your guard. It’s very possible he was drawing the weapon as he appeared to be complying and just had bad situational awareness, overlooking the officer right behind him. I don’t believe you can take that video at face value and I can guarantee the officer didn’t want to have to shoot the guy.

I disagree. You're seeing what the officers were seeing almost 100%. That camera is worn about 8 inches down from their eyes on the upper part of the shirt usually. Chances are, that's exactly what the officer was seeing.

Re: Police Shooting----What is Your Opinion? [Re: BillyTraps] #6961202
08/11/20 04:45 PM
08/11/20 04:45 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
Ernest was the rock thrower wasn't he?i believe i'm a good fit for Ernest T.

definately failed on my Otis imitation.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread