Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Replacement Springs for Montana #3 Dogless #6964991
08/15/20 04:31 PM
08/15/20 04:31 PM
AK
H
HamNBones Offline OP
trapper
HamNBones  Offline OP
trapper
H

AK
Hey all,

I'm just getting into coyote trapping and recently picked up some used Montana #3 specials (fully modified). One things I've noticed is that many of the traps feel weak and mushy. The springs are clearly past their usefulness and so I'd like to/need to replace them all.

My question is what to replace them with. I'll be using them for coyote and the occasional fox, and will undoubtedly pick up raccoon in the process. Should I go for #3 music wire springs or #2 music wire springs for the main springs?

Also, how big can I go on the 4 coils? If possible, I'd like the helper springs to be strong enough to hopefully even out some of the tension on each lever. As I'm sure many of you are aware, the levers on these traps are not level due to the power of the main springs.

Thoughts?

Re: Replacement Springs for Montana #3 Dogless [Re: HamNBones] #6965033
08/15/20 05:15 PM
08/15/20 05:15 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Online content
trapper
The Beav  Online Content
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Just replace the main springs first and see if that's enough.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Replacement Springs for Montana #3 Dogless [Re: HamNBones] #6965062
08/15/20 05:39 PM
08/15/20 05:39 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Originally Posted by HamNBones
Hey all,

I'm just getting into coyote trapping and recently picked up some used Montana #3 specials (fully modified). One things I've noticed is that many of the traps feel weak and mushy. The springs are clearly past their usefulness and so I'd like to/need to replace them all.

My question is what to replace them with. I'll be using them for coyote and the occasional fox, and will undoubtedly pick up raccoon in the process. Should I go for #3 music wire springs or #2 music wire springs for the main springs?

Also, how big can I go on the 4 coils? If possible, I'd like the helper springs to be strong enough to hopefully even out some of the tension on each lever. As I'm sure many of you are aware, the levers on these traps are not level due to the power of the main springs.

Thoughts?

JC Conners makes the best 4 coil spring kits for the Montana #3s. They should balance them right out.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Replacement Springs for Montana #3 Dogless [Re: trappergbus] #6965230
08/15/20 07:40 PM
08/15/20 07:40 PM
AK
H
HamNBones Offline OP
trapper
HamNBones  Offline OP
trapper
H

AK
@The Beav:
I had been considering that, but I will be trapping in frozen ground and again, I was hoping to even the levers out a bit. Sorry to be the guy that gets sound advice from someone knowledgeable and immediately says, "well yeah, but...".
Do you think the #3 springs would be best, or would the #2 be more appropriate? I've heard some people claim that the Montana #3 is oversprung. Wish I had a new one to reference.

@trappergbus:
I had been looking at those, but they do cost about double what a regular set of 4 coil springs would. Definitely still considering them though. You get what you pay for. Do you run the Taos springs along with #3 main springs?

Re: Replacement Springs for Montana #3 Dogless [Re: HamNBones] #6965575
08/16/20 09:35 AM
08/16/20 09:35 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Online content
trapper
The Beav  Online Content
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I would buy the #3 springs and replace the main springs and see If that does the trick.
The thing about trapping In frozen ground Is your still going to have to use a bedding material that won't freeze. If the pan can't be be depressed the trap won't go off no matter It It's been 4 coiled or 8 coiled.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Replacement Springs for Montana #3 Dogless [Re: HamNBones] #6965798
08/16/20 03:36 PM
08/16/20 03:36 PM
AK
H
HamNBones Offline OP
trapper
HamNBones  Offline OP
trapper
H

AK
You're absolutely right, and I'm already making up waxed dirt for the season. I just dealt with some rough conditions last year where it was pretty darn difficult to get traps to operate properly, even with depressed pans, and I figured I should hedge my bets.

Thanks for the input y'all. I'm going to mull it over a bit and screw around with the traps over the next couple days. Might even swap some springs over from other traps and see if I like one way or the other.

Re: Replacement Springs for Montana #3 Dogless [Re: HamNBones] #6965870
08/16/20 05:04 PM
08/16/20 05:04 PM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Yep the same main springs, if the ground is froze nothing works but if it has a bit of frost they will. You live in the same state as I do, trust me 4 coiled traps are worth it. A couple extra yotes and you'll more than break even. If the pan can drop the paw will be in it!

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Replacement Springs for Montana #3 Dogless [Re: trappergbus] #6967750
08/18/20 03:21 PM
08/18/20 03:21 PM
UTAH
J
jp stratton Offline
trapper
jp stratton  Offline
trapper
J

UTAH
Not a spring pro here,but have you tried calling John?Hands down one the best people i have ever met (trapping or otherwise)
His wife is also of great help if John is not handy.Always gone the extra mile for me no matter.Just saying.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91