Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Covid-19 in AK, Why the secrecy? #6970778
08/22/20 01:54 PM
08/22/20 01:54 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline OP
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline OP
trapper

NY
Check it out:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/202...ted-thursday-mostly-involving-residents/

Scroll down the page to where is has the map titled "Big Picture". It shows all the areas in Alaska that have the Corona Virus. Even lists in those areas the names of the Towns , Cities and Villages that have Covid -19.

BUT!!! when it comes to the Yukon Koyukuk Census area , they only say (60, 1 DEAD) . What is so special about that section of Alaska , that they don't want to disclose what Towns, Cities, Villages have Covid-19; but they will for the rest of Alaska? Don't the RESIDENTS in those Towns have a right to know?

Last edited by Canvasback2; 08/22/20 01:56 PM.
Re: Covid-19 in AK, Why the secrecy? [Re: Canvasback2] #6970799
08/22/20 02:57 PM
08/22/20 02:57 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
We are up to 64 cases this morning.

But the problem is HIPPA. Some of these places are small enough that IF they were identified, people could figure out who is sick.

Of course that seems eminently reasonable to you and to me. If you don't know who is sick, how can you assess your own possible exposure ?

I know if I become infected I plan to make it known so others may benefit......hopefully. To heck with their privacy regulations. It is MY data and I have a right to release it.

EDIT: 66 cases this afternoon

Last edited by white17; 08/22/20 07:50 PM.

Mean As Nails
Re: Covid-19 in AK, Why the secrecy? [Re: Canvasback2] #6971379
08/23/20 09:45 AM
08/23/20 09:45 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
I think, as White17 mentioned, it is HIPPA plus the fact that in many of the villages that have imposed very restrictive travel bans on outsiders, but have infection problems cause by their own lack of enforcement of CV19 protocols on their own residents.

I think it would be rather embarrassing for these villages if the truth were known.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Covid-19 in AK, Why the secrecy? [Re: Canvasback2] #6971480
08/23/20 11:04 AM
08/23/20 11:04 AM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Apparently Trump is going to address the country tonight. Sounds like he will be talking about a breakthrough in treating covid. Maybe he finally fired the political doctors and took the advice from some of the doctors who have been curing covid for months now with HQ and the other parasite drug that has been so effective.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Covid-19 in AK, Why the secrecy? [Re: Canvasback2] #6971827
08/23/20 05:06 PM
08/23/20 05:06 PM
Alaska
F
flowingwater72 Offline
trapper
flowingwater72  Offline
trapper
F

Alaska
Originally Posted by Canvasback2
Check it out:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/202...ted-thursday-mostly-involving-residents/

Scroll down the page to where is has the map titled "Big Picture". It shows all the areas in Alaska that have the Corona Virus. Even lists in those areas the names of the Towns , Cities and Villages that have Covid -19.

BUT!!! when it comes to the Yukon Koyukuk Census area , they only say (60, 1 DEAD) . What is so special about that section of Alaska , that they don't want to disclose what Towns, Cities, Villages have Covid-19; but they will for the rest of Alaska? Don't the RESIDENTS in those Towns have a right to know?

we are in the same situation. it makes no sence i talked to our doctor at the clinic the otherday and asked how many cases we had on acount the news is not saying the cases of trappercreek and talkeetna. she instintly clamed up. she did not exspect that qustion. i dont no why they are not saying. she only told me there was alot. a person i know told me evry one at mahays jet botes has the virus and are now quritening. after one of them has ben to the post ofice cubbys the gas station and more. i think king dunvley is haveing them not publish numbers so the tourist dollers keep things going.

Last edited by 20shortlong; 08/23/20 05:07 PM.
Re: Covid-19 in AK, Why the secrecy? [Re: Canvasback2] #6973563
08/25/20 04:33 PM
08/25/20 04:33 PM
SW Alaska
otterman Offline
trapper
otterman  Offline
trapper

SW Alaska
Canvasback from the start the state has said they will only identify the area not the town if the population is under 1000. Take Dillingham census area for example 5 cases on the chart you looked at that encompases Dillingham,and all the following villages Aleknagik, Manakotak, Twin Hills, Togiak, Portage Creek, Clarks Point, Ekuk, New Stuyahok, and Koliganek . All those villages must be flown to from Dillingham and we don't necessarily know what village if someone test positive from a village but we do know if they are from Dillingham even though the state doesn't list it we get told, so it isn't just secrecy in the Yukon it is large portions of the state. Like Bethel it says Bethel 20 other 17 the 17 are from outlying villages

Last edited by otterman; 08/25/20 04:35 PM.

We get out of life only as much as we really want and work hard enough to achieve
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman