Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bait meat - geography specific?? #6978989
08/31/20 10:04 AM
08/31/20 10:04 AM
SC Iowa
btomlin Offline OP
trapper
btomlin  Offline OP
trapper

SC Iowa
I was discussing with a bait maker last night on some bait solutions and concoctions. He commented that he had NEVER(yes, used all caps. ha) had success with beaver meat for coyotes. He indicated anything is better than beaver meat for coyotes. I guess it got me thinking....are coyotes that "edgy" that if they don't come across a food source often that they will shy from it vs deciding to eat it?? I know we don't have tons of beavers swimming around here in cattle country(SC Iowa), but I was still a little shocked by his experiences and now I'm second guessing if I am wasting my time trying to use my beaver meat in a predator bait. Is it a better option where there are more beavers and coyotes come across them more often??

Would I be better off trying to catch some muskrats once season opens vs using the beaver meat? I guess I don't want to go through the effort if I'm starting off sub par. I just assumed the way that some folks like to keep and eat the meat themselves that it would be a good option. I also note that there are not a lot of commercial baits that use beaver as a base.

Any thoughts?

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979001
08/31/20 10:14 AM
08/31/20 10:14 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
There's some regionality certainly, and by regionality I mean like a 50-100 mile area at times. I wouldn't give it it up without testing. If you don't test you'll never know. Just don't limit yourself.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979004
08/31/20 10:21 AM
08/31/20 10:21 AM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
I have used all the Major brands over the years now and they all have work on coyotes for me. The only base meat that I have not used was coyote it self. The BEST thing for taking coyote is "LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION"

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979036
08/31/20 11:13 AM
08/31/20 11:13 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Ive tested and compared a lot of bases and ingredients over the last couple of years. I will say I've never tested beaver. With this testing it makes me start wondering how much real testing is going on out there even amongst some lure makers. I wonder if they just mix some know ingredients together and if it catches coyotes its good. Ill give a couple of examples. Take beaver tail oil or even castor, so many times I hear how good it is for coyotes. My testing has shown me beaver tail oil has marginal attractiveness, castor is slightly better but still doesn't compare to sac oil or some other top shelf ingredients. Another is bobcat meat, by itself it is very marginal from what I've seen but with good ingredients it can catch coyotes. I will say I only test in my area.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979039
08/31/20 11:15 AM
08/31/20 11:15 AM
PA
K
KeeperOfTheCoons Offline
trapper
KeeperOfTheCoons  Offline
trapper
K

PA
It could be. I could see a bait or lure being too "exotic". Vanilla extract is a great deer attractant, but older deer and bucks are know to be spooked by it since it's not something natural to them. Domestic animal meat like beef doesn't always get good results fast, but for me cheap chicken still works good for fur bearers. Why? Perhaps the predators have attacked people's chickens before and are familiar with the meat. It makes sense to me, I mean when does an animal kill a cow? A fox or coyote or any predator coon, fisher whatever is probably more likely to come across a chicken so maybe that's the reason for that preference. I could see why the coyotes in your area wouldn't like beaver as a meat if it wasn't common. They want to stick with whats normal for them, I suppose. Deer, porcupine, groundhog, bobcat, and canned mackerel are all meats that people in my area have caught coyotes on, deer and groundhog seems to be the most popular though, I see it working well because of how often a coyote comes across those 2 animals, so they probably like them and wouldn't' want to pass up the chance to eat one.

Always learning
Lifetime NRA member
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979108
08/31/20 01:03 PM
08/31/20 01:03 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
I have had best results with horse meat baits and so far I have not seen a single horse in the wild. I am not trapping farms or dead pits either. Bobcat meat is my least successful. If I were to rate in my area from testing and trapping condition it would go:
Horse
Deer
Muskrat
Beaver
Nice
That is for coyote.
Bobcat seem to go for the Beaver more often.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979112
08/31/20 01:07 PM
08/31/20 01:07 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Everything likes beaver in my experience. Even if its not common in your area its smell forms a pleasant curiosity lure IMO.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979117
08/31/20 01:11 PM
08/31/20 01:11 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Bait meat avoidance geographically. I would say yes, but once you add some other ingredients to a meat base it may get attention. I remember Major Boddicker saying in some areas dead pigs get gobbled up but take that same dead pig and drop it off in the middle of the sand hills and it will go untouched.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979122
08/31/20 01:16 PM
08/31/20 01:16 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
I would think the cold the region you are in and the hungrier the coyotes are the less particular they are

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: Yes sir] #6979129
08/31/20 01:25 PM
08/31/20 01:25 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I would think the cold the region you are in and the hungrier the coyotes are the less particular they are

Population density is also a consideration. The higher the density population of the animal, the more competition there is for food.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #6979141
08/31/20 01:36 PM
08/31/20 01:36 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Population density is also a consideration. The higher the density population of the animal, the more competition there is for food.

I'm with you on that Paul, the the other side of the coin is large populations also usually means abundant food supply to support predator populations. We have good coyote population here and judging by the fat on our coyotes most dont miss too many meals. Because we have lots of coyotes a less attractive formulation can look better that it is so i try to do a lot of side by side testing to determine a preference among our population. Also you can get a feel after enough testing about how intense and the #s of responses what is maybe ok and what might be a winner.

Last edited by Yes sir; 08/31/20 01:39 PM.
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979196
08/31/20 02:36 PM
08/31/20 02:36 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I don’t have the numbers most on here have, but I don’t see why beaver wouldn’t work. I’ve caught them on commercial horse and bobcat baits. I’ve caught them on quail, dove, and duck remains. I’ve caught them on fresh and slightly tainted bobcat meat. I guess the real test would be to have multiple sets at each location with different baits and see what produces. Right now it’s just set on sign and alter baits. Seems whatever I use will catch coyotes, just don’t have a lot of coyotes to catch, but the next road kill beaver I see will be picked up and used.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: bctomcat] #6979198
08/31/20 02:37 PM
08/31/20 02:37 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by bctomcat
Everything likes beaver in my experience. Even if its not common in your area its smell forms a pleasant curiosity lure IMO.

and in my nationwide customers experience.

and ESPECIALLY, if you chose to use a commercial, tried and true, bait solution. I think the solution is more important than the base.

solutions like Jamesons or Blackies or Weisers or Dobbins or Locklears or Northlands or Marsyadas, etc, etc.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979328
08/31/20 05:58 PM
08/31/20 05:58 PM
SC Iowa
btomlin Offline OP
trapper
btomlin  Offline OP
trapper

SC Iowa
Thanks for the conversation. Lots of stuff to ponder....

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: Wanna Be] #6979372
08/31/20 06:56 PM
08/31/20 06:56 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by traprjohn
Originally Posted by bctomcat

and in my nationwide customers experience.

and ESPECIALLY, if you chose to use a commercial, tried and true, bait solution. I think the solution is more important than the base.

solutions like Jamesons or Blackies or Weisers or Dobbins or Locklears or Northlands or Marsyadas, etc, etc.

I agree that a good bait solution could catch coyotes on a cotton ball. But why wouldn't you want to use the most attractive base that you can. If your base doesn't provide an attraction or very little why not just use the bait solution like a lure(which it is) by its self.Did you test and compare bases to determine what was most attractive to use in your commercial baits? Or was it based on an availability thing? I do wonder if coyotes preferences are that regional? I like horse a lot and even here in ranch country I doubt very many coyotes eat much if any horse.
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I don’t have the numbers most on here have, but I don’t see why beaver wouldn’t work. I’ve caught them on commercial horse and bobcat baits. I’ve caught them on quail, dove, and duck remains. I’ve caught them on fresh and slightly tainted bobcat meat. I guess the real test would be to have multiple sets at each location with different baits and see what produces. Right now it’s just set on sign and alter baits. Seems whatever I use will catch coyotes, just don’t have a lot of coyotes to catch, but the next road kill beaver I see will be picked up and used.

I agree lots of stuff "works" to catch some coyotes but there's some stuff that works a lot better than others. After all a corn cob works but we all use toilet paper for a reason. Lol

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979452
08/31/20 08:20 PM
08/31/20 08:20 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Your base should always be an attractant itself. If it's not attractive, it's then just a bulk filler for what would otherwise be a low power lure.

Just remember, bait/lure making is a bit/miss thing that can take years and a lot of money,depending on ingredients, to come up with something good.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6979691
09/01/20 05:10 AM
09/01/20 05:10 AM
Communist State Of New York
Archeryguy Offline
trapper
Archeryguy  Offline
trapper

Communist State Of New York
I've never had success with beaver for coyotes. Beaver carcass's that I throw out are usually never fed on either until after long periods of deep snow and cold...other wise they are ignored. Another bait I seen refusals on is store bought chicken.
What works as my primary baits are deer liver, deer lungs and deer meat scraps. All natural foods for local coyotes, especially after gun season when they have been actively feeding on gut piles and unrecovered deer.

Last edited by Archeryguy; 09/01/20 05:12 AM.
Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: Archeryguy] #6980022
09/01/20 12:54 PM
09/01/20 12:54 PM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
Snaring hunting property's (lower edge of the Canadian shield) using beaver as bait I put it in the thickest stuff I can find, coyotes/fisher/fox come in for it. Using the same bait in agricultural areas they will not touch it in heavy cover, needs to be in the open. Only about 50 miles between areas but a big change in geography. Obviously the animals have different comfort factors between the two and the same bait needs to be deployed in different ways.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6980035
09/01/20 01:01 PM
09/01/20 01:01 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
I’ve never had much success with beaver or ‘rats.

If I had to rank my top three....

Deer
Horse
Bobcat

I got a freezer full of burro. Some of the old timers say it’s real good.

Re: Bait meat - geography specific?? [Re: btomlin] #6980109
09/01/20 02:20 PM
09/01/20 02:20 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Boone
I ask because I trust your experience and knowledge with coyotes, when you rank bobcat as #3, are basing that off of it in a finished formulation or off its attractiveness by itself, or both?
Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91