ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Something in attic #6980047
09/01/20 01:09 PM
09/01/20 01:09 PM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
Property manager trapped some flying squirrels out last year but they heard something up there again. I found they are getting in under the ridge cap at either end. I can't get exclusion devices on the holes so I set lots of traps and stuffed the holes with stainless scrubbing pads and filled that with foam. Something is chewing the foam and pulling the scrubbing pads out strand by strand but nothing has touched my traps in 4 days. Trouble is I can't get much out between the crack in the plywood to close up the ridge and it's a big void up there because it's vented. Nothing to nail anything to from the outside as they are just going under the cap at the gable end. Suggestions?

Re: Something in attic [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6980294
09/01/20 06:35 PM
09/01/20 06:35 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
You have a very different and difficult job with maybe educated animals. Tough job and extra charges.

This trick has worked for me in difficult situations. Give the critters exactly what they want. Open a path to let them in. Make it look like one was successful. Leave a little cover so the gremlin can sneak right in. Inside place a trap with a one way door. Use fender washers and screws and boards as necessary. Cover the wire trap floor with a piece of carpet or wood. consider scattering a few peanuts or other bait. Once one is caught the sound will attract others.

If you cannot get to where they were previously entering you may need to place your trap and create the situation in a new place.

If access is impossible, get approval in advance and cut an access door for yourself. If there are liability concerns have a carpenter do it. The access door will make the job easier or possible for you and can be framed and locked when finished.

Best wishes and keep in touch about this interesting project.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Something in attic [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6980376
09/01/20 07:50 PM
09/01/20 07:50 PM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline OP
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline OP
trapper
J

Maine
Thanks Willy. Going to get some more supplies and head back. I think you're right about educated lol. I have access to the attic just only a crack to the ridge vent. Hoping if I catch the buggers that are up there now and plug off the holes it will keep out any new ones. Huge oak tree right over the roof so I'm sure its a high traffic roof.

Re: Something in attic [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6981126
09/02/20 06:04 PM
09/02/20 06:04 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
We had a real bad bat job once. We sealed it and put on a 1 way. We had just got a trail camera and were anxious to play with it so we set it up trying to get video of the bats leaving.

We got a lot of footage of a flyer leaving. We didnt even know he was up there. But he kept coming back every night. The property was distant, so it took a bit of time to get out that way to remove the 1 way and seal it up. He visited nightly for over a month.

Re: Something in attic [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6983919
09/06/20 07:41 AM
09/06/20 07:41 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
One time I had to build a 4’ funnel of sorts to guide them into a muskrat colony trap.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Something in attic [Re: Jonnytrapper] #6987473
09/10/20 06:58 PM
09/10/20 06:58 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Online content
trapper
wormbobskey  Online Content
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
Use an air rifle with a silencer and snipe them. I use my marauders all the time for in town squirrel jobs. I make it a point to inform the local police department whenever I do plan to use my air rifle. Hate having guns drawn on me by the police.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread