Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trap tag Identity #6997206
09/22/20 01:14 PM
09/22/20 01:14 PM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline OP
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
[Linked Image]

Anyone familiar with this format of trap tag? Long story short I found a very poorly placed 160 bodygrip set on a log on my property. #1 I have never owned any 160s till now, #2 no one else has permission to be there. The 307 beginning makes me think its a Wyoming trap tag, as thats there area code and only about 30 minutes from the state line. The format is not proper Nebraska trap tag.

Failure leads to learning, learning leads to improvement.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6997233
09/22/20 01:52 PM
09/22/20 01:52 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
I'd ask a local game warden. They should know or be able to find out where that format is for

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6997235
09/22/20 01:54 PM
09/22/20 01:54 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
any chance the last seven are a phone number?

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6997239
09/22/20 02:00 PM
09/22/20 02:00 PM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline OP
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Not sure, possibly could be. And I sent a picture to my buddy thats a Nebraska warden here. Im not after getting the guy in trouble yet anyways, just curiosity of whom has been wandering around and possibly a polite phone call with a reminder of what posted private property is.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6997248
09/22/20 02:14 PM
09/22/20 02:14 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
If worth the time law enforcement could probably track it through tag manufacturer. Not too many trap tag makers offer 2-hole copper tags with that spacing. Mine look similar but Idaho uses 7-digit numbers beginning with 100

It may be a fake identification. The difference in size between o's and other digits cause it to look amateurish.

Last edited by Furvor; 09/22/20 02:25 PM.
Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6997285
09/22/20 03:03 PM
09/22/20 03:03 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Before you go off accusing whomever's tag that is of wrong doing, keep in mind that trap and tag may have been stolen or someone missed removing a tag when they sold the trap. These are just a couple examples of why trap tags are completely worthless and good for nothing but getting good honest people in trouble.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: ~ADC~] #6997302
09/22/20 03:27 PM
09/22/20 03:27 PM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline OP
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Yes I am aware to the fact that people use false info or past owners trap tags to cover there tracks. But if thats the case its a place to start. Either way someone was where they should not have been.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6997325
09/22/20 03:59 PM
09/22/20 03:59 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Put the trap back and setup a trail camera. Notify the CO what you're up to.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: ~ADC~] #6997371
09/22/20 05:49 PM
09/22/20 05:49 PM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Before you go off accusing whomever's tag that is of wrong doing, keep in mind that trap and tag may have been stolen or someone missed removing a tag when they sold the trap. These are just a couple examples of why trap tags are completely worthless and good for nothing but getting good honest people in trouble.

My exact feelings on the subject.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6997668
09/23/20 12:32 AM
09/23/20 12:32 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
It's a driver's license number.

The good news is it isn't my driver's license number (mine starts with an H and is 9 characters as well). I don't like trap tags for this reason though. I've bought traps that still had people's tags on them and I'm sure over the years I have left one or two behind on traps I sold. Once they're sold whoever bought them could have used them however they wanted. It's always been a concern of mine when I'm selling traps and especially conibears.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 09/23/20 12:44 AM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: WadeRyan] #6997670
09/23/20 12:51 AM
09/23/20 12:51 AM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline OP
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I just bought some Northwoods on auction this summer that had all previous owners tags on them still. I removed them and discarded in my smelting pot. Yeah, I have also figured out who trap belong to, as I have met him trespassing there before and he left with a *** chewing is all. So much for learning his lesson I guess, why would you use a trap tag if you know your doing something illegal. Guess the lightbulb is lil dim there.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6997729
09/23/20 06:39 AM
09/23/20 06:39 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Online content
trapper
jabNE  Online Content
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
BraskaYoter yes that does look like a drivers license number and mine start with G.
I have a few two hole tags...I like them for pop riveting to bottom of trap frame...one area that they rarely get chewed off and they last me many seasons installed on bottom of frame.
Glad you found the guy, got a new 160 out of it sounds like.
Would you like a little and very personal info on tags? I remember vividly when I helped host the state convention in Crete the year we first implemented tags, early 1990s. Frank Andelt was fur bearer biologist then and a good friend of mine. He spoke at our NFH General meeting on the brand new tag law....and it got a little heated in the room. Several officers and members were not fans of the new law, but several were. I had to leave the room and went out to mill around among the vendors, didnt like seeing my friend get grilled by Mr Rudy.
I always thought the ones that screamed the loudest about having to tag their traps may be the ones that had most to worry about. I had mostly private land and I liked the tags. Gave a tag to each of my landowners so they knew what traps were mine. Bill was always worried someone would steal his trap, misuse it illegally and he'd have to fight it in court. Whatever, slim chance and still have never heard of it happening in our state. He was pretty vocal at that meeting. President then was Denny Hoagland and he didn't seem to be a fan either. Later I read where Denny got pinched for poaching elk. Fine public example to kids for our then president.
That was a time when colorado had recently lost their use of footholds. We were a neighboring state and many states were already tagging traps. I figured hey at least G&P wasn't shutting down trapping were just adding a new rule. Funny...20 years later afyer that fateful year and I'm still tagging traps and haven't skipped a beat on the line either. Still using footholds too. Tags are OK in my book. Frank and I stayed good friends for several years after that. But I aven't talked to Bill or Denny since then though, and not sure I would care to, either.
Our local CO knows my trapping grounds well, we talk a lot and he's helped me get on other ground too. Haven't ever had a stolen trap recovered or returned but hey if it would help im for that.
Good job calling the bad guy out!
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 09/23/20 06:55 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6998583
09/23/20 11:14 PM
09/23/20 11:14 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Tags don't cost much and they don't hurt anything but a person can make up or borrow any info that they carry so they don't help anything either. Just a useless waste of paper to write the reg on and a waste of time and money for the trapper to buy and install. Only ones that benefit at all are the guys making and selling tags.
If the warden wants to see the tag he either has to kill your catch or destroy your set, so chances are the tag will rot off before anyone ever looks at it. If the trap is placed illegally, the tag still doesn't prove who put the trap there, so it has no value from that view. Useless waste.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6998676
09/24/20 06:01 AM
09/24/20 06:01 AM
NC
T
Tailhunter Offline
trapper
Tailhunter  Offline
trapper
T

NC
Freedom ... interesting word isn’t it.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6998922
09/24/20 11:28 AM
09/24/20 11:28 AM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline OP
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Jab, I am kind of neutral on the trap tag argument. I see the reason and dont mind doing it, but on the other hand someone that is trapping where they should not be will not use tags of there own also or any. Except the genius mentioned above. It falls into the same category as a gun in the hand of a criminal is most likely not registered in there name or at all. A CO buddy of mine stated to me that if I was on my own ground only that he was not very worried about tags, other hand if I was on public ground or a place I got permission that he would write me a ticket if I was not tagged up. We are very good friends and have these “ what if “ conversations alot, but I am a very law abiding outdoorsman. It was also stated that very rarely do trap tag become evidence because of the likelihood that they are fake or incorrect info, he said hes never seen trap tags used to bust or convict someone exclusively. I think people are not giving most CO’s credit for doing there due diligence as a investigator, they dont just look at a illegal set trap and go put the guy whos tag is on it in cuffs. Its merely a place to start a investigation in my opinion.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6998933
09/24/20 11:46 AM
09/24/20 11:46 AM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
That is not a Wyoming number, our tags start with WY.

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6998945
09/24/20 12:01 PM
09/24/20 12:01 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
What would he even be trying to trap this time of the year? Or was it left there by mistake from last season?

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #6999231
09/24/20 06:40 PM
09/24/20 06:40 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
In WI we can put our DNR customer service number on our tags. I have not done that yet but in the future I will. One reason for that is if you trap longer lines or away from your home and you have your local address or phone # etc. and name traps have been more subject to molesting when out of your home area. This way if there is something wrong the warden can be called and he will know whose trap or traps they are.

Bryce

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #6999531
09/24/20 11:44 PM
09/24/20 11:44 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
I must have missed that meeting in Crete as I was running the kids trap toss during it. Richard Gersib was the fur biologist in the late 80's to the 90's and Chuck, forgot his last name, (from Massachusetts) was after him and I thought Andelt was before Gersib ............... BUT.................. I have always lobbied that IF the trap tag reg was installed then all dogs used in fur harvesting should be ID'D THE SAME WAY. Terriers, coon/running hounds, greyhounds, mutts, even the decoy dogs used as a tool to harvest fur (just like a trap/snare) need the same kind of traceable ownership. Responsible ownership of a device (mechanical or organic) should be the same to all consumptive users to be equitable. Any dog owner who cares for his hunting dog would not object to a collar with a tag and the responsible ones (dog owners) are already there. I missed it (the meeting) and sure would have liked some input on that subject. Have trapped in other states with ID requirements, some being really defined and others like NE giving you a traceable choice on your equipment. I do know a CO currently here in Northeast Nebraska that will give you and gave a good friend a ticket for a coyote snare on the friend's own land w/o a tag. That was after some small talk and the friend offered to show the CO where he had his snare set on his own land so the CO could keep watch for a thief. So its a tough reg that interpreted technically can be a pain. The owner of the 220 size BG (illegal) in the road rt-of-way a few years back that shut all trapping down on the roads (even with landowner permission) was able to be prosecuted additionally for not having a tag so it had merit there when we testified to get that permission trapping back. So it has some good points too................ my take........ the mike

Re: Trap tag Identity [Re: BraskaYoter] #7000611
09/26/20 02:08 AM
09/26/20 02:08 AM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
need the same kind of traceable ownership.

That's just it the tags don't provide traceable ownership. Ever. They just provide income for the tag makers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91