Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
looking to trap the Mat-Su valley #7006653
10/02/20 03:18 PM
10/02/20 03:18 PM
Wasilla,AK
A
akryder223 Offline OP
trapper
akryder223  Offline OP
trapper
A

Wasilla,AK
Hello,
I am looking for info on trapping in the Mat-Su valley, places to trap? Areas different animals are in? places to trap by snow machine? any info would be much appreciated.

Re: looking to trap the Mat-Su valley [Re: akryder223] #7006912
10/02/20 08:11 PM
10/02/20 08:11 PM
Alaska
F
flowingwater72 Offline
trapper
flowingwater72  Offline
trapper
F

Alaska
you got to get out and scout. but rember there is alot of trappers exspecily along the parks. if a bridge looks good i promise some one else is trapping it. exspecily around me and talkeetna. some people are nice about getting on there trapline some are not but also rember if it is state land it is your land to and there is nothing they can do. it is just rude. good luck!

Re: looking to trap the Mat-Su valley [Re: akryder223] #7007023
10/02/20 09:36 PM
10/02/20 09:36 PM
juneau, alaska
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

juneau, alaska
Oh, boy.

Made it almost 3 years without censor!

Re: looking to trap the Mat-Su valley [Re: akryder223] #7008750
10/04/20 07:30 PM
10/04/20 07:30 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
I wish there was a tally of these requests..

No offense AKryder, and welcome to the trapping family. BUT you have to understand that pretty much everyone on here is a trapper, and if they know of some good open country, they're probably trapping it themselves or saving it for themselves or family. Asking where to trap is like asking someone where to shoot a trophy bull moose. Those that know, probably aren't going to tell you.

What trappers DO respect is someone willing to do the legwork and research that goes into building a trapline. I just started a few years ago, and it started with hours and hours on Google earth, and parcel viewer, along with miles and miles on foot, atv and snowmachine. Sometimes I'd digitally scout a good looking area, then show up and find a house or road that didn't show up on the outdated map. Sometimes someone else would already be trapping. Sometimes someone else would show up to trap a month into the season. That's all part of the adventure.

The only ways to find a trapling in AK are 1) get a pre-existing line from someone who's quitting (and this is pretty rare). Or 2) legwork, legwork, legwork. Get out and look. If you find where someone else is trapping, be respectful and don't trap on top of them. But it is OK to ask them how far their line goes, and if they'd mind if you go out beyond them. Sometimes that works. As always, being respectful and friendly will get you farther than being a butt.

There is a LOT of things you can learn from T-man. I certainly have. But where to trap isn't one of them. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman