Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: Taximan] #7004860
09/30/20 04:40 PM
09/30/20 04:40 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Taximan
What type of drag should I use here?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I would love to make a few to work in that they of terrain......al ready see if have to have at least 3lbs of weight, prongs would have to be re done... spire pointed mabye.... Parymid points possibly....

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7004884
09/30/20 05:21 PM
09/30/20 05:21 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The problem with that kind of ground Is the drag gets a bite then the coyote changes direction and It's on the move again. Then with all those loose rocks the drag hits one and it bounces and It doesn't hang up. And even with 24 hour checks that coyote has a lot of time to put on some mileage.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7005002
09/30/20 07:54 PM
09/30/20 07:54 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: Taximan] #7005056
09/30/20 08:47 PM
09/30/20 08:47 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
on't drink eveyone koolaid

Listen,I have been a supporter of yours,since you were a kid.I don't know how old you were when this incident occurred,in Guayana but it isn't funny.Hundreds of people were slaughtered there,at gunpoint-all races.These people,however misdirected they were by a sociopathic "preacher" had and have,still,Grieving,hurting families.Insecure people that don't know how to counter,sometimes use that term.Wolfdog91,I am seriously disappointed in you.

Well my apologies but I've never even thought of that when using that term

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7005098
09/30/20 09:39 PM
09/30/20 09:39 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Ok Wolflman,thanks for the honest response.You are still the man in my book.

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7005163
09/30/20 10:59 PM
09/30/20 10:59 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I've heard that term used all the time and never heard it was associated with Guyana.More like you're not buying what somebody's trying to sell ya.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: Taximan] #7005350
10/01/20 08:33 AM
10/01/20 08:33 AM
Maine
M
Mac Offline
trapper
Mac  Offline
trapper
M

Maine
What type of drag should I use here?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My gosh that is beautiful country! After looking at that beautiful picture I tried to think of any place I have been in Maine where one could see that far. I can't! LOL
Maybe standing on the coast looking out at the Atlantic, or off a mountain top. No place on the ground level. It would be a big old learning curve for an old Eastern boy to head to that country. Thanks for sharing all you do.
Mac

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7005727
10/01/20 05:34 PM
10/01/20 05:34 PM
Republic of CO
Cootswatter Offline
trapper
Cootswatter  Offline
trapper

Republic of CO
T and B are known D-Bags about anything new and different. Always have a negative comment. Nothing ever changes. Wolf you da man. Drink the Kool-Aid is hilarious!!!

"I've come to chew bubble gum and to kick ars, and I'm all out of bubble gum." - Rowdy Roddy Piper - They Live
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7005751
10/01/20 06:12 PM
10/01/20 06:12 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
Don't Drink the Kool-Aid had been around long before the mass suicide's at Jonestown and will be around long after. To equate what he said with that incident is just plain silly.

When things are Grim, become the Grim Reaper!
Fred Moyer
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7006602
10/02/20 02:07 PM
10/02/20 02:07 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Actually,Wolf,that is stake country.The closest cover is 1000 yds in one direction and miles in the others.By the time I can get in there to set wolf traps,the cattle have grazed it down to the nub and the ground is flint hard. (Dec 20-30th) I do have a couple solid,log drags that have been in place for several years and they don't avoid them but you need to be careful,introducing new stuff too close to setting time.It would be nice to get stakes in before the freeze,but the cattle can rearrange the landscape before setting time and it is hard to predict exactly where each set will end up being.There are so many cow pies out there and they freeze so solid,it is like driving down a dry riverbed.

I have a couple spots where I would like the trap to move a few yards so that a wolf could not bash it on a boulder that I plan to set close to.I have been experimenting with drilling some limestone boulders and installing "eye" boltsThese would be app 60# on 10' of chain..I would still like to have an aggressive drag between trap and stone drag.Wolves just seem to keep moving and fighting and this can be a two day check.I talked to an experienced wolf trapper that caught one on a drag in timber and it went 800 yds.That's what makes me nervous about anchoring in this wide open country.

I am also working on an idea for a 12" stake that would hold anything,single stake.It might take an 8# hammer and would have to be pulled in the Spring.I guess a guy could pre-drill for those,before season and cover the hole with a rock.Anchoring is difficult out there but they do pass through, most Winters.There are a few,other areas where you could use other a variety of anchoring options.I have considered a "slider" but don't have enough experience with them and not sure how heavy to build them.

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7006674
10/02/20 03:48 PM
10/02/20 03:48 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
This rotary hammer is a deal breaker in mid-Winter,when the ground gets flint hard.My 5#hammer will still drive a stake but the Sod Buster won't dig out a trap bed.So I use a chisel in it for the bed and pre drill for steel stakes.It saves a lot of wear and tear on the wrist and shoulder.I often triple stake (18") for wolves,double for coyotes.They don't even have to be tight.I have never had one moved an inch.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: Machias] #7006870
10/02/20 07:29 PM
10/02/20 07:29 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
Originally Posted by Machias
Don't Drink the Kool-Aid had been around long before the mass suicide's at Jonestown and will be around long after. To equate what he said with that incident is just plain silly.

Drinking the Kool-Aid - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid
"Drinking the Flavor Aid" is an expression used to refer to a person who believes in a possibly doomed or dangerous idea because of perceived potential high rewards. The phrase often carries a negative connotation. It can also be used ironically or humorously to refer to accepting an idea or changing a preference due to popularity, peer pressure, or persuasion.
Overview
Background
Use
See also
The phrase originates from events in Jonestown, Guyana, on November 18, 1978, in which over 900 members of the Peoples Temple movement died. The movement's leader, Jim Jones, called a mass meeting at the Jonestown pavilion after the murder of U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan and others in nearby Port Kaituma. Jones proposed "revolutionary suicide" by way of ingesting a powdered drink mix 《Fllavor Aid) lethally laced with cyanide and other drugs which had been prepared by his aides. Koolaid was ever used and got a bad rap till this very day.

No,"drinking the Kool Aid Originated in 1978 with the Jonestown massacre.I was an adult then and remember very clearly.It wasn't funny then and it isn't funny now.Those interested,look up that term and the aerial photos of the 900 bodies bloating in the sun.Many were americans,many were black,many were white,misguided cult members for sure but in the end they were held at gunpoint and mothers were forced to have their babies drink the "Koolaid",before they,themselves did.It was sick and not a joke.The term was NOT used before that massacre.

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7007197
10/03/20 01:05 AM
10/03/20 01:05 AM
Alaska
T
T_inman Offline
trapper
T_inman  Offline
trapper
T

Alaska
"Drinking the kool aid" is a phrase that may have originated in an unfortunate situation, but it isn't considered derogatory by most these days.
It just means that a person has tried something they may have resisted at first for whatever reason, but then figured out how good that "thing" is, and now does it or uses it consistently.

Anyhow back to drags (and not the queen type). Do folks here use dry or green sticks when using a small diameter, but fairly long stick to get hung up in grass and brush?

Lover of cheap beer, dead critters and the fatties.
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: T_inman] #7007504
10/03/20 12:21 PM
10/03/20 12:21 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted by T_inman
"Drinking the kool aid" is a phrase that may have originated in an unfortunate situation, but it isn't considered derogatory by most these days.
It just means that a person has tried something they may have resisted at first for whatever reason, but then figured out how good that "thing" is, and now does it or uses it consistently.

That is a misstatement of what "drinking the kool aid" means. It does not mean that "thing" is good in any way. It's no wonder there are so many "failures to communicate" when we can't keep or maintain a consistent meaning for a word or phrase.

Taximan is spot on. "Drinking the Kool Aid" originates in Jonestown. It is a negative phrase that is rooted in false belief and blindly following a false prophet. Regardless of whether you are willing to drink the Kool Aid or force others to do so. There is no good spin on that phrase. Anything else is a misuse and abuse of the language.
Changing meanings of words and phrases is a tool of Leftists.

Last edited by wildflights; 10/03/20 12:22 PM.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7007823
10/03/20 07:18 PM
10/03/20 07:18 PM
Montana
Taximan Offline
trapper
Taximan  Offline
trapper

Montana
I am just hoping that we can get back to the heart of the OP's question.It is a very interesting topic and I am sure that many have something to ad.Wolfdog91 has spent a lot of time working on and improving grapples.I would like to see him continue on that persuit but also apply his analytical brain to staking systems.We have more to learn!

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7007828
10/03/20 07:20 PM
10/03/20 07:20 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Drags are good in the right place in open country a good trapline dog will save a lot of time.
10 ft. Of chain can be short at times 12 to 15 feet is a big plus more open broke up country for me.
Another thing some do not understand frozen ground it had better have above ground stuff for it to catch on. Long walks can be had.
Like taximan stake if not sure.

Kenneth schoening
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: wildflights] #7008045
10/03/20 10:11 PM
10/03/20 10:11 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
Originally Posted by wildflights
Originally Posted by T_inman

That is a misstatement of what "drinking the kool aid" means. It does not mean that "thing" is good in any way. It's no wonder there are so many "failures to communicate" when we can't keep or maintain a consistent meaning for a word or phrase.

Taximan is spot on. "Drinking the Kool Aid" originates in Jonestown. It is a negative phrase that is rooted in false belief and blindly following a false prophet. Regardless of whether you are willing to drink the Kool Aid or force others to do so. There is no good spin on that phrase. Anything else is a misuse and abuse of the language.
Changing meanings of words and phrases is a tool of Leftists.

BS! Being an overly sensitive twit is a Leftist characteristic. It was CLEARLY obvious the young man was not referencing Jonestown. Come on man!

Last edited by Machias; 10/03/20 10:15 PM.

Fred Moyer
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: Taximan] #7008074
10/03/20 10:44 PM
10/03/20 10:44 PM
Worley, Idaho
M
Machias Offline
trapper
Machias  Offline
trapper
M

Worley, Idaho
Originally Posted by Machias

Drinking the Kool-Aid - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid
"Drinking the Flavor Aid" is an expression used to refer to a person who believes in a possibly doomed or dangerous idea because of perceived potential high rewards. The phrase often carries a negative connotation. [/b]It can also be used ironically or humorously to refer to accepting an idea or changing a preference due to popularity, peer pressure, or persuasion.[b]
Overview
Background
Use
See also
The phrase originates from events in Jonestown, Guyana, on November 18, 1978, in which over 900 members of the Peoples Temple movement died. The movement's leader, Jim Jones, called a mass meeting at the Jonestown pavilion after the murder of U.S. Congressman Leo Ryan and others in nearby Port Kaituma. Jones proposed "revolutionary suicide" by way of ingesting a powdered drink mix 《Fllavor Aid) lethally laced with cyanide and other drugs which had been prepared by his aides. Koolaid was ever used and got a bad rap till this very day.

No,"drinking the Kool Aid Originated in 1978 with the Jonestown massacre.I was an adult then and remember very clearly.It wasn't funny then and it isn't funny now.Those interested,look up that term and the aerial photos of the 900 bodies bloating in the sun.Many were americans,many were black,many were white,misguided cult members for sure but in the end they were held at gunpoint and mothers were forced to have their babies drink the "Koolaid",before they,themselves did.It was sick and not a joke.The term was NOT used before that massacre.

From your own definition.

Fred Moyer
Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7008099
10/03/20 11:12 PM
10/03/20 11:12 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
....if we could please get back to talking drags that would be wonderful me and taxi settled it nice and civil like so let's just end it

Re: TRAP DRAGS- Different kind [Re: chicken] #7008104
10/03/20 11:19 PM
10/03/20 11:19 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ve always wanted to try using a drag, but checking before work wouldn’t fit into my time line. I have to leave early enough to account for catches as it is, I would be really pressed if I had to trail one in the dark.
I do have a few spots where driving a stake is brutal and a drag would be perfect though. Might try chaining or cabling off to a solid log or tree this year.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91