Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Help with micro location, judge my sets #7020895
10/18/20 09:26 PM
10/18/20 09:26 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline OP
trapper
Nd native  Offline OP
trapper
N

North dakota
So I finally decided today to start putting some traps in the dirt and as most years I found myself going to locations that I have caught coyotes in years past (this spot has sat idle for two years) and knew I wanted to re-set these locations as they have always been my "trusty" areas. However, as every year, when I get to these locations I find myself assessing what the farmer put in for crop and then looking around aimlessly trying to decide where to actually put the set in. This first two pictures are an overview of the area that I am talking about, one picture looks one direction while the other looks the other (so each direction). An "X" marks where I put in a set.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The X closest to the thicker brush has a bit of a trail that had a lot of scat. Next to the trail were a couple of thicker weeds that just seemed to call out to me as being a potential natural scent post as I could envision any and every dog lifting their leg on it. So I put in the below set.

[Linked Image]

Then the far X in the overview photos had a small portion of tall stubble, a random log and a dirt mound that had a bit of a trail going up on to it. So I really wanted to put a set in here, and had already set the urine post 40 feet away so I decided to put in a dirt hole in the edge of the stubble. The set is pictured below.

[Linked Image]

I wasn't really happy with the way that set looked. Particularly I couldn't get the dirthole to keep from collapsing and then I didn't really think it went well with the spot, but didn't know what else to put in.

In the last picture below I found another spot that has a good trail that I know has an occasional coyote travelling down it (along with deer), however I again have no real good idea where to put in a set. This type of location is very common throughout much of the land that I have permission to trap on and I always struggle with trying to create something natural and end up wasting A LOT of time walking circles trying to decide where/what to set. In the below picture it might be hard to see, but there is a trail in the middle in the grass that goes in to the plowed stubble field.

[Linked Image]

Any help and comments/critique would be welcome. I'm by no means an expert at this and always looking to improve.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: Nd native] #7020930
10/18/20 10:00 PM
10/18/20 10:00 PM
Kansas
K
KS Yote Trapper Offline
trapper
KS Yote Trapper  Offline
trapper
K

Kansas
I would say don’t overthink it. If your setting on sign and your traps are bedded solid your good. The sets don’t have to be perfect. Nothing in nature is perfect. If you’ve caught yotes there before there’s no reason you won’t catch them there again. Good luck.

Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: Nd native] #7020960
10/18/20 10:53 PM
10/18/20 10:53 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
Tracks never lie,,, I try not to force a set,,, instead of forcing a dirthole try a flat set that fits. This what I meant when I said I try not to force a set.
Also I learned to read any new permissions by letting the coyotes teach me over the years.

Kenneth schoening
Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: Nd native] #7021094
10/19/20 07:39 AM
10/19/20 07:39 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Flat set were there's a trail (gland, urine, and droppings) dirt hole were there isn't a trail, step down dirt hole were there's deer or remake when the backing is destroyed, then roll to next location and do it again. Seems a lot of the guys that put up big #s just run dirt holes only.

Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: Nd native] #7021194
10/19/20 09:50 AM
10/19/20 09:50 AM
Southern Michigan
T
trappergbus Offline
trapper
trappergbus  Offline
trapper
T

Southern Michigan
Drive thru the location with your truck, the tire tracks become a trail for yotes to follow. Place sets between the tire tracks, or within 3 feet or less.

Common sense catches alot of fur..
Pay homage to all you harvest..
Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: trappergbus] #7021390
10/19/20 03:02 PM
10/19/20 03:02 PM
Indiana
H
Hunter23 Offline
trapper
Hunter23  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
Originally Posted by trappergbus
Drive thru the location with your truck, the tire tracks become a trail for yotes to follow. Place sets between the tire tracks, or within 3 feet or less.

yes, exactly what ^^ he said.

Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: Nd native] #7021828
10/19/20 11:40 PM
10/19/20 11:40 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline OP
trapper
Nd native  Offline OP
trapper
N

North dakota
And of course the dirt hole above caught a skunk.

[Linked Image]

Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: Nd native] #7021902
10/20/20 05:29 AM
10/20/20 05:29 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Well, you made a great coyote set if you got a skunk at next check!

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: Nd native] #7021909
10/20/20 05:49 AM
10/20/20 05:49 AM
U.P. Michigan
G
garart Offline
trapper
garart  Offline
trapper
G

U.P. Michigan
Got to love it; bait, lure and saleable fur!

Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: Nd native] #7021954
10/20/20 07:20 AM
10/20/20 07:20 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Nd native

[Linked Image]

Id be curious if you used a lure or bait with skunk in it? The majority of my skunks caught at coyote sets have a skunky lure at them.

Re: Help with micro location, judge my sets [Re: Yes sir] #7022709
10/20/20 10:25 PM
10/20/20 10:25 PM
North dakota
N
Nd native Offline OP
trapper
Nd native  Offline OP
trapper
N

North dakota
Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Nd native

[Linked Image]

Id be curious if you used a lure or bait with skunk in it? The majority of my skunks caught at coyote sets have a skunky lure at them.

It was Hiawatha Valley. First time I had went out for the year and hadn't checked my bait bucket good enough, so it was all I had with unfortunately, forgot the Widdowmaker at home. Not sure what's all in Hiawatha Valley but it's some strong stuff. Usually only late season I like to use it.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91