Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support PCS Outdoors, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Forum Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Fur Stretchers #7027403
10/25/20 07:25 PM
10/25/20 07:25 PM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
I searched the forum and saw a mix of people who use wire and board stretchers. Most are very opinionated about their specific choice. After watching a bunch of videos, I think I'm going to buy wire stretchers and add board bases for tacking. I have a ton of 1x8 pine in the shed.

What I don't know, though, is what size stretchers I should buy. When looking on F&T they have a bunch of sizes and the descriptions have a mix of animals they are good for, so I'm not quite sure what to get. The season opens next week and I'm setting for Raccoon, fox, and coyote initially on a small piece of land. I'd like to be prepared in case I catch any of those, so which size wire stretchers are the best bet given that a single stretcher seems to be good for multiple animals.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Fur Stretchers [Re: Martlet] #7027829
10/26/20 07:40 AM
10/26/20 07:40 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
You are correct, you will get a lot of different opinions on what never to do, I personally match the stretcher to the pelt and species rather than a one size fits most approach. A lot of trappers will put every coon on a 7-7-1/2" stretcher and call it a day, nothing wrong with that approach. I put everything on wood stretchers except, my Muskrats go on wire, all my stretchers are built to NAFA standards. If you talk to Groenwold Fur, they will tell you that they prefer that everything is on wire and/or sold green. You could, buy stretchers for one species and sell others green until you build-up your stretcher inventory. I enjoy putting up fur but plan to sell any incidental coon I catch green because the juice just isn't worth the squeeze this year.

Re: Fur Stretchers [Re: Martlet] #7027865
10/26/20 08:30 AM
10/26/20 08:30 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I don't own a wire stretcher but they will do the job for you. I'm not sure about sizes but with coon and rats you you can just bend them to fit. Probably could do the same with a coyote stretcher.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread