Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Driving and setting in fields #7026927
10/25/20 10:15 AM
10/25/20 10:15 AM
AK
H
HamNBones Offline OP
trapper
HamNBones  Offline OP
trapper
H

AK
Hi all,

This will be my first year running a land line for coyote and fox. I've been getting a good number of permissions over the past couple months and am now doing some last minute scouting before traps go in next week.

One of my landowners has about 9 properties throughout the county, and leases all of his farmland to a farmer. This farmer was growing soy on almost all of them and just recently spread seed for winter wheat. The best locations on a lot of these properties are well of the road, but there aren't two-tracks leading through most of them. I'm concerned that driving to the sets frequently will harm the wheat. In addition, I'm concerned that if I do make catches in the field, the farmer will see a bunch of catch circles where his crop is now destroyed.

The landowner said I could drive through the fields, but I don't think he realized how much I would be driving through them or what it looks like once an animal is caught. The last thing I want to do is (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off the farmer and the landowner in turn.

I'm sure many of y'all have trapped in and around winter wheat fields. Will it be okay if I drive through the fields and make sets in the fields? Also, any recommendations for how to minimize damage? Walking back to a lot of these spots is almost out of the question. It would take up a LOT of time, and I'll already be struggling to check traps, put up fur, go to school full time, and sleep in the 24hrs we have in a day.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7026941
10/25/20 10:31 AM
10/25/20 10:31 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
What are you going to do when it rains?
Thankfully all the fields/plots I trap have 2 tracks running between or around them. But, I still only set where I have access for dry or possible wet weather. Some places I have to park and walk to check traps if we get inches of rain at one time, but those are limited and generally covered with a cell camera to help with checking.

As far as catch circles, I don’t trap farm land but hunting properties with numerous plots. All will sacrifice a catch circle for a coyote or cat.

Here’s a pic after 3” of rain that night. The owner laughed and said don’t worry about it, I can smooth that out. Moved the remake to the field and caught a fox.
[Linked Image]

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7026944
10/25/20 10:37 AM
10/25/20 10:37 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Here’s another in an actual field...I try and set on the edges, but the tracks showed him walking the field and that was the driest spot at the time. This was a cell camera spot for sure. Like you I don’t have time to walk 600 yards round trip to check a couple of sets at 0430 and trying to make it to work on time.

[Linked Image]

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7026945
10/25/20 10:39 AM
10/25/20 10:39 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
In answer to your actual questions...don’t drive in the fields if you want to keep trapping. That farmer pays to lease that land, you are getting it for free.

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027234
10/25/20 04:22 PM
10/25/20 04:22 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Here in MN the law states that unless it is agreed upon between the LO and renter, the renter has the say as to how may hunt, trap or trespass upon the property. It's not uncommon for one to give permission and not the other. I would talk to the farmer who is renting it and find out how they want to handle it. Good relations go a long way as to weather or not you will be welcome back in the future. Take nothing for granted and you may just be rewarded for it later!

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027263
10/25/20 05:02 PM
10/25/20 05:02 PM
AK
H
HamNBones Offline OP
trapper
HamNBones  Offline OP
trapper
H

AK
Thanks guys. These give me a pretty clear answer. (and nice catches there Wanna Be)

I'll reach out to the farmer and see what he thinks. Barring his permission to do whatever the heck I want, I'll just have to forfeit some spots to ensure I retain permission. On some of the best spots where it might be too painful to not set, I might just have to hike in and set them so I can glass them from the road, and set the very edge of the woods instead of in the field.

And in the future, I'll definitely be focusing on getting permissions on farms with two tracks or hunting properties. Look at me, already learning.

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027307
10/25/20 05:52 PM
10/25/20 05:52 PM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Check your mail box

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027373
10/25/20 06:59 PM
10/25/20 06:59 PM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
That is a funny law or reg in MN 20scout. I all the states I know unless the renter has POA (power of attorney) in a written lease, it is the title holder of the land (the owner) that signs the trespass complaint and the local law enforcement is notified. With ownership, comes a host of state constitutional rights (in all states) and can't imagine giving that right up for a mere lease agreement but who knows................. If you want to limit crop/soil damage in fields (which is all we have here), use slide wires to get your catch off to the edge of the crop field and use a tall weed marker as a sentry to alert you to a catch. Drive on the field when it is froze solid and the w-wheat will not be harmed...................... the mike

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027451
10/25/20 07:50 PM
10/25/20 07:50 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Not ok to drive through OUR winter wheat and reduce the harvest and rut the property.
The guy that rents our fields an I are on the same page.
That’s why a 4 wheeler is a business expense for “patrolling”. ...or “accessing properties with minimal impact”

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027455
10/25/20 07:52 PM
10/25/20 07:52 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Or the farmer could supply you a tractor with small trailer

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: Wanna Be] #7027555
10/25/20 09:14 PM
10/25/20 09:14 PM
GA
P
PSPH17 Offline
trapper
PSPH17  Offline
trapper
P

GA
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
What are you going to do when it rains?
Thankfully all the fields/plots I trap have 2 tracks running between or around them. But, I still only set where I have access for dry or possible wet weather. Some places I have to park and walk to check traps if we get inches of rain at one time, but those are limited and generally covered with a cell camera to help with checking.

As far as catch circles, I don’t trap farm land but hunting properties with numerous plots. All will sacrifice a catch circle for a coyote or cat.

Here’s a pic after 3” of rain that night. The owner laughed and said don’t worry about it, I can smooth that out. Moved the remake to the field and caught a fox.
[Linked Image]

Looks like some of the same kinda property I trap on. I usually pick up a few coyotes on those food plots too.

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027596
10/25/20 09:43 PM
10/25/20 09:43 PM
SD
B
Bison88 Offline
trapper
Bison88  Offline
trapper
B

SD
In SD usually not an issue when the ground is frozen like concrete!

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027615
10/25/20 10:04 PM
10/25/20 10:04 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Land leased for agricultural purposes includes the hunting rights unless stated otherwise in the lease in NC. The land owner can retain the hunting rights by putting that on the lease and some do that.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027623
10/25/20 10:08 PM
10/25/20 10:08 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Well as long as you have a Had a hard freeze My land owners tell me I can drive on the crops like rye and winter wheat and hay ground. But If It's wet I stay off so I'm not rutting things up.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027771
10/26/20 05:56 AM
10/26/20 05:56 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
A good pair of boots and a headlight, thats what I do here. We have several farms we set far off the road but hoof it in and not drive in. Yes its not as efficient I know but if I purposefully pick spots not accessible from the road easily and I walk in to check sets, around here st least I still catch animals and still have traps to check. Keeps me in shape, keeps my stuff from being stolen or messed with, and I believe there is less disturbance if I access quietly on foot vs driving into the field each day to check traps.
Jim

Last edited by jabNE; 10/26/20 05:58 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027784
10/26/20 06:16 AM
10/26/20 06:16 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
I'm not sure about your states regulations but I'd set snares on the trails leading to the fields or set up bait station's where it's convenient for you to check and still catch the coyotes and fox quickly and easily . Problem solved .
I'd be as concerned about driving into any of the properties during or even after a rain storm so as not to rut up the roads unless you have talked that over before the season too .
Allan

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: traprjohn] #7027791
10/26/20 06:32 AM
10/26/20 06:32 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by traprjohn
Not ok to drive through OUR winter wheat and reduce the harvest and rut the property.
The guy that rents our fields an I are on the same page.
That’s why a 4 wheeler is a business expense for “patrolling”. ...or “accessing properties with minimal impact”

Same Here: I lease my own property and the farmer leaves an ATV egress around crops so I can access my trail system for hunting and trapping, I don't drive on crops. The other farms I trap, I ask where should I park so I'm out of your way and I offload the 4-wheeler and go from there.

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7027952
10/26/20 10:39 AM
10/26/20 10:39 AM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
Set only what you can check with a glass . I have a cheap spotting scope that I can even see a tripped trap at a half mile ( dang deer ) , I only go back there to collect a catch and remake the set . Most of these are on a two track but still don’t drive them unless i have to .

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7031797
10/29/20 07:18 PM
10/29/20 07:18 PM
AK
H
HamNBones Offline OP
trapper
HamNBones  Offline OP
trapper
H

AK
Yeah, there are a couple spots I feel like I'll need to set, even though I'll have to walk in. They just look too good. I'll be making sure I can glass them from the road though.

Our ground does freeze up here, but it takes a while, and if our weather is anything like last year, we'll be having freeze thaw all the way into January.

@Wife: slide wires are a great idea, especially considering the viability from the road at some of these places. How are you setting up slide wires for coyotes? They're a darn sight stronger than any coon I've caught.

Due to some family business, haven't had the chance to reach out to the farmer yet. Will let y'all know what he says.

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7046729
11/11/20 10:28 PM
11/11/20 10:28 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
Here in MN the law states that unless it is agreed upon between the LO and renter, the renter has the say as to how may hunt, trap or trespass upon the property. It's not uncommon for one to give permission and not the other. I would talk to the farmer who is renting it and find out how they want to handle it. Good relations go a long way as to weather or not you will be welcome back in the future. Take nothing for granted and you may just be rewarded for it later!

Where did you find this law? I don't think that it is that way in MN.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91