Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Tail oil juice? #7026923
10/25/20 10:11 AM
10/25/20 10:11 AM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I'm in the process of taking older beaver tail chunks out to use as bait stations. I have a couple 5 gallon buckets of tail chunks that are a couple years old and aren't producing enough oil to mess with. I have been removing all the fluids I can to try and help keep the buckets from freezing solid and have added glycerin to them as well. My question is, has anyone ever used the fluids from the tail chunks, other than the oil, to make a bait or lure? I've been putting the fluids in one gallon pickle jars. I noticed after about a week of setting than there were distinct layers to the fluids. Top to bottom was tail oil, a thick brown sludge and then watery fluid on the bottom. I siphoned off the oil. The next layer has the consistency of gravy and that's the layer I'm interested in using as a food lure. I used my turkey baster to remove the watery fluid from the bottom and that left me with the gravy like sludge with a little tail oil still on top. To this a added honey, castor and glycerin. I made this in two batches and to one of them I added a little skunk tincture. Anyone have any other ingredients they would added to improve on this? I plan to use this food lure early to mid season.
I also added a thickener to this food lure to make it almost a paste. My trapping partner gave it to me and I think its what's used in making jams or jellies, but not sure.

Last edited by wormbobskey; 10/25/20 10:13 AM.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Tail oil juice? [Re: wormbobskey] #7027483
10/25/20 08:07 PM
10/25/20 08:07 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
All those fluids and chunks work great just by themselves. Regardless of the layer or color. They are hard to improve on and I found a waste of time

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Tail oil juice? [Re: wormbobskey] #7028065
10/26/20 12:59 PM
10/26/20 12:59 PM
E central Il
G
Golf ball Offline
trapper
Golf ball  Offline
trapper
G

E central Il
I didn’t do much coyote trapping last year but some of the coyotes I caught were on BT chunks in a pipe. Let the gravy run down the side !

Re: Tail oil juice? [Re: wormbobskey] #7028316
10/26/20 05:36 PM
10/26/20 05:36 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I think the addition of the castor and honey gave it a little more attraction. My dog literally devoured the stick I used to stir the ingredients together, And that's from a dog that never goes hungry. The skunk will give it an add kick once things get colder.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: Tail oil juice? [Re: Golf ball] #7029093
10/27/20 09:32 AM
10/27/20 09:32 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by Golf ball
I didn’t do much coyote trapping last year but some of the coyotes I caught were on BT chunks in a pipe. Let the gravy run down the side !

yep, all it takes is a dab on a stick down a mouse hole, or double flat rock set, or rub set, or any other set actually, the smell is strong to start with and they love it and it wears em out.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Tail oil juice? [Re: wormbobskey] #7048563
11/13/20 12:58 PM
11/13/20 12:58 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline OP
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline OP
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
Lure is obviously attractive to critters. Picked up two XXL & XXXL coon yesterday on it and a bobcat this morning. Had to release the bobcat, but I'm liking the reactions I'm getting from the food lure.

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91