ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Another enjoyable part of nuisance work #6999727
09/25/20 08:32 AM
09/25/20 08:32 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Yesterday evening I was checking on a beaver location. Thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye at a distance in the woods, dark colored about the size of a black lab I thought, but then wondered if I had seen anything after all. Within a few minutes I was at the reservoir watching a flock of geese. It wasn't long before a pair of beaver appeared, who went to work on lily pads eating them as fast as they could for some time. Not long after an otter popped up and swam down the shore line in front of me and caught a couple of frogs. When I went over to the muddy shoreline near the beaver house on the opposite shoreline I saw tracks of all kinds, including a small set of bear tracks, which meant of course that I had seen a bear after all. The muck was awful so I wasn't able to get out to the beaver house, almost got stuck in mud over my knees. Didn't set last night, but it was just nice to feel like I was in the middle of a Disney nature movie. It's easy to get wrapped up in rolling in and out of locations in a hurry, but nice to smell the roses once in a while.

Re: Another enjoyable part of nuisance work [Re: Jim Comstock] #7000171
09/25/20 05:10 PM
09/25/20 05:10 PM
Southern Wisconsin
F
Fishdog One Offline
trapper
Fishdog One  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Wisconsin
Nice time of year to be out doing what we do.

Born twice, die once
Re: Another enjoyable part of nuisance work [Re: Jim Comstock] #7000360
09/25/20 08:14 PM
09/25/20 08:14 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Online content
trapper
MChewk  Online Content
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Yep, set up a beaver job on a new piece of ground. Woodys every where. Location is a rural piece of ground a mile off the gravel roads.

Re: Another enjoyable part of nuisance work [Re: Jim Comstock] #7000699
09/26/20 07:51 AM
09/26/20 07:51 AM
Pottsboro TX Grayson county
J
Jiggamitch Offline
trapper
Jiggamitch  Offline
trapper
J

Pottsboro TX Grayson county
Got a call yesterday, but it was the opposite of Jim's. Apartment manager called me to remove a beaver in the middle of a major city on a heavily trafficked pond. I referred her to someone else. Give me the disney movie scenario any day.

Re: Another enjoyable part of nuisance work [Re: Jim Comstock] #7000806
09/26/20 10:02 AM
09/26/20 10:02 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
Sometimes not as much enjoyment in city beaver work, but can have some fun with it now and then working around people. Recently had fun doing beaver work, like in the old days fur trapping, working in foot traffic areas along nature paths in "plain sight" while no one knew I was there. Even though what we do is all legal, validation from nosey third parties is not necessary. Love to work right next to people and go completely undetected, within a few feet of paths and hikers who are unaware of my very near presence. A father and son walked within 10 feet of me talking about investments, while two guys discussed a gas company just behind some brush while I took a 50 pound beaver out of a cage. I really wanted to holler up to the second pair, "dump that gas company, I had them, they stink," but thought better of it. Had one beaver job that, for no good reason, ended up on the AP back in '96. We were hunkered down in a boat as the land owner with two newspaper reporters walked by within 50 feet of us discussing the beaver issue. Never knew we were there. When the time was right, the beaver were caught, we called the paper and gave them the exclusive that made front page.

Re: Another enjoyable part of nuisance work [Re: Jim Comstock] #7028903
10/27/20 01:39 AM
10/27/20 01:39 AM
Pa
Y
Yoteman53 Offline
trapper
Yoteman53  Offline
trapper
Y

Pa
Got some DWL skunk traps @ Herkimer Conv and am really pleased w/ them. Can bait from rear & easy release. Will buy more if Pa has a convention in 2021. Shopping is thru the roof

Re: Another enjoyable part of nuisance work [Re: Jim Comstock] #7029607
10/27/20 06:11 PM
10/27/20 06:11 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Welcome to the forum Yoteman!