Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Natural baits [Re: Wanna Be] #7028951
10/27/20 06:37 AM
10/27/20 06:37 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
When we buy whole pork loins to cut up for boneless chops I save all the fat trimmings and cube those up into 2" pieces. I do same with carcass chickens save the trimmings and skins when I cut them up. I dont add anything just freeze them in ziplock bags for dirtholes. Same with guts and scraps, parts from pheasants, deer, rabbits, anything else we hunt and clean. All good natural baits.
I have a pretty extensive mouse line going on our property in fall. Catches go in ziplock bags and into the fur freezer. Nothing beats a fresh frozen mouse down a dirthole and a shot of fox pee for natural bait coyote sets. In hay meadows I make a double dirthole set two small holes opposite each other and trap bedded between them. A mouse down each hole and then use handle of my trowel to make a little mouse runway across the dirt pattern right to each hole. Looks just like the natural mouse runways you find out there anyway.
The game and meat scraps I use in late winter sets in bean fields. Kick up the bean chaff into a big pile, one one side push some scraps back up under edge of the pile and bed the trap our front. A shot of fox pee on the same side and that's my go to winter bait set. Ground too rock frozen solid to dig holes. Most picked bean fields have similar piles here and there from the combines. Mice live in the piles for shelter and I find stashes of beans in them where mice were storing food. Make my own piles in the field at a good spot along edges and travel ways and it works well for a set, looks like everything else around in the field. Fresh bait and pee seemed to work best for me.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Natural baits [Re: Wanna Be] #7028988
10/27/20 08:04 AM
10/27/20 08:04 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Keeping notes and catching a number of targeted animals points you to answering your own questions.
Coyotes can be caught on any number of combos but efficiency demands you use the premier choices.
East of the Missouri River, I usually go small hole and maybe more lure as a rule.
West of the Missouri, my notes usually have me "give it to 'em!" Bigger holes, more bait by far.
South it can go either way.

Just doing what the dogs tell me they like BEST.
They know and they'll tell you if you catch enough of 'em.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Natural baits [Re: Wanna Be] #7028993
10/27/20 08:13 AM
10/27/20 08:13 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Like Mark said,
Efficiency=premier choice= what is BEST
It take a fair amount of trapping or some testing to determine that.

Re: Natural baits [Re: Wanna Be] #7029897
10/27/20 09:43 PM
10/27/20 09:43 PM
NE Wyoming
G
grubbie Offline
trapper
grubbie  Offline
trapper
G

NE Wyoming
I am very much a beginner, haven't had a lot of luck with footholds. I am thinking this year keeping it simple and trying dirt holes with a pocket gopher stuffed down in there. Planning on using an entire gopher cause I catch a ton of them. But, is putting them in the hole frozen, during freezing weather going to work? They certainly won't taint that way.

Re: Natural baits [Re: Wanna Be] #7029939
10/27/20 10:13 PM
10/27/20 10:13 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Originally Posted by Yes sir
I wonder sometimes if some of the advantage of natural bait is the amount used at a set. I assume most people use more than a spoonful when using a natural bait.ltest all my bait bases by themselves and add one ingredient at a time and test. With that said its pretty easy to make a simple meat base significantly more attractive with a few ingredients. I've often wondered if coyotes can smell in a way that helps them determine how much volume of bait is down a hole and sometimes a larger amount of bait makes them more intrested in working a set.

I've been using a mixture of commercial baits and natural baits this year on my canine line and and would say 80% of my coyotes have been with just deer liver and urine alone. Not saying the commercial lures aren't any good but perhaps they just don't appeal to the yotes in your area. Fox seem to favor one brand while skunks do another. Still way too early to say one way or the other as I know I have had times when they didn't care as much as the go to bait I used the year before.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Natural baits [Re: Wanna Be] #7030007
10/27/20 11:32 PM
10/27/20 11:32 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Interestingly we had a trapper just clean up at last year's Academy. We caught 27 coyotes as a small army of 14 trappers on 6 checks and one particular trapper caught about 6 of those as I recall. Maybe 7 or 8. He always had something dancing. And he GAVE THE LURE AND BAIT TO EM. Not sure if he pulled dogs past other trappers cause we had traps as a small army set and ready. But I'd say in South Central Kansas in March you can not give them too much goo. I mean I was smiling while he did it, as in "dang son," but then next day....

You got another dog DZ!
You got another one!

Food got though.

Blessings,
Mark

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91