Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Otter travel #7041411
11/07/20 10:44 AM
11/07/20 10:44 AM
MN
K
K9BeavCoon Offline OP
trapper
K9BeavCoon  Offline OP
trapper
K

MN
[Linked Image]

Just pulled my first otter line yesterday before going north to deer hunt for the weekend. And this morning, sitting in the stand I had a family of four otter coming loping by the deer stand. I understand they will cross land between bodies of water, but how far will they travel on land? There are some low spots in these woods I figure they might hunt, but they are dry this year. My only guess is that they were headed to a pond across the county road which the gps says is 640yds as the crow flies. How far will they travel on land? Do they actively hunt on land or are they more likely traveling between bodies of water?

Re: Otter travel [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7041441
11/07/20 11:17 AM
11/07/20 11:17 AM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Some say that they can smell water a long ways off.

Re: Otter travel [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7041484
11/07/20 12:23 PM
11/07/20 12:23 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

Orergon
I trapped a mountain pass for about 10 years here in Alaska that went from the coast to around 800' elevation. There was a small creek that flowed through it, for about 2 miles, originating from a lake that was about 1/4 mile wide by 1/2 mile long. The lake supposedly held a few small trout, and would freeze solid. Every winter otter would come up that creek and pop through the ice, always heading to the very back of the lake, then go over-land, over the divide, dropping into a much larger drainage. That next ribbon of water, (generally frozen that time of year), was at least a mile away, through forrest and rock.

Last edited by alaska viking; 11/07/20 12:25 PM.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Otter travel [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7041496
11/07/20 12:39 PM
11/07/20 12:39 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
They will go miles on land between drainages.
They mark their route with scent and every otter will take the same route.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Otter travel [Re: K9BeavCoon] #7045241
11/10/20 06:13 PM
11/10/20 06:13 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
there is a road culvet neer me that is a mile and a half from the creek to the east and almost two to the creek to the west both drainages going each way are dry ther is a little puddle of a pond next to the road . there have been several otters road killed at that culvert over the years . The guys to the west have seen several otters traveling cross country going west towards a big creek from their deer stands over years . thats three and a half miles with just a puddle in the middle that they cross going from one drainage to another

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91