Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7046782
11/11/20 11:02 PM
11/11/20 11:02 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Discussed it with several wardens in the past. Had several land owners and renters tell me the same.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7058299
11/21/20 09:42 PM
11/21/20 09:42 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
All I know is when I was deer hunting in Kansas my host said that I should not ever drive across any planted field, so I did not

And if it is wet you will get stuck (no if about it) it will not be fun getting out and that farmer will speak your name at the co-op or cafe and you will have a hard time getting permission for anything in the surrounding area wink

Like said above, farmer is paying to use. I would talk to the farmer though, might get you more places to trap if he sees you are considerate

Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7058411
11/21/20 11:09 PM
11/21/20 11:09 PM
Montana
B
beartooth trapr Offline
trapper
beartooth trapr  Offline
trapper
B

Montana
Give'er the onion he'll let you know next year.
I had a rancher tell me it's ok I ride my wheeler on his place .
I did so for a few years and he asked me to look around for a dead cow for him.
And I did found it and cut the ear tag off like he asked ,
The next year I ask to trap again and he said who gave you permission to ride all over on a 4 wheeler like that.
What to do, some times you just can't win.
Oh well win some , lose some.

Let me sugar coat this
Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7058444
11/21/20 11:47 PM
11/21/20 11:47 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Get a small motorcycle. Way less impact than an ATV, get a dual sport and just ride it everywhere. That's always an option without a ton of snow.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7058524
11/22/20 05:45 AM
11/22/20 05:45 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Every farmer around here lets me drive on planted feilds. The only stipulation Is If It's wet stay off and once we have snow or after the first freeze your good to go. Every snow machine trail In WI probably goes through some type of planted field. And come spring you can't tell where they have passed.
And most of the ground I trap Is either bean ground or harvested corn fields and your not going to hurt that.

Last edited by The Beav; 11/22/20 05:47 AM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Driving and setting in fields [Re: HamNBones] #7058669
11/22/20 09:46 AM
11/22/20 09:46 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Pretty interesting rules for state trespass rights (hunting, trapping, fishing, hiking etc. ). Not uncommon here to have 1 guy rent the cropland, and then after harvest, another guy rent the stalks from the cropland renter. Suppose that is why here ONLY the landowner (the fee title holder) can sign the complaint for prosecution and legally have someone removed. Renters cannot and are considered hired individuals who can choose to produce a crop (or not) for a set cash rent fee from a starting to ending date. Our soils and weather are a lot different than the southern parts of the U.S. so when that winter hits they become as hard as ice so travel is inconsequential to the surface. Before the freeze there are Minimum Maintenance (dirt) Roads that you don't travel on even with a 4-wheel drive PU. Our Loess soils are unique to the mid Missouri River Valley area only to be duplicated in the Chinese Yellow River area, where freezing is very rare. 4-wheelers and S X S's are common field transportation here so a non issue even when wet and some type of vegetation is covering the surface. I still use some slide wires (not real quick for set up) when I'm setting a spot that I don't want (can't) to drive to daily. Use 1/8th cable with a sentry marker to indicate a catch and either use the ATV or leg work to get a closer look when wet................................ the mike

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91