Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Wolf Foothold Trapping #7073251
12/04/20 12:40 PM
12/04/20 12:40 PM
Idaho
B
brymoore Offline OP
trapper
brymoore  Offline OP
trapper
B

Idaho
I’m looking for some suggestions for foothold trapping wolves. I have some located and want to try to do it right. More of how versus gear. My gear isn’t going to change. I have plenty of beaver for bait if that helps.

Re: Wolf Foothold Trapping [Re: brymoore] #7073264
12/04/20 12:54 PM
12/04/20 12:54 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Beaver is a good draw for wolves.A few carcasses piled in a hole in the ground and covered with logs will let the ravens work it without cleaning it up right away,and the smell and activity will bring wolves to the vicinity where they will find your foothold sets.

I use snares when I go after wolves.
There are a few guys on here,as well as the wilderness forum that take lots of wolves with footholds.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Wolf Foothold Trapping [Re: brymoore] #7073279
12/04/20 01:18 PM
12/04/20 01:18 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
If you haven't already gotten copies the Alaska Wolf Trapping handbook and DVD are well worth the money taking the Idaho wolf trapping class taught by Jack aka Gulo is mandatory for over there if you haven't done so yet.

Another thing I'd check out the archives and also read AKHowler's posts from front to back he really racks up some impressive catches but then any of the posts over there are a great place to pick up knowledge those folks have been trapping and snaring wolves for a long time.

Re: Wolf Foothold Trapping [Re: brymoore] #7074061
12/04/20 10:16 PM
12/04/20 10:16 PM
Idaho
B
brymoore Offline OP
trapper
brymoore  Offline OP
trapper
B

Idaho
Change of plans. Diverters are no longer required on snares. I’m snaring now.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91