Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
1st year wo snow #7073518
12/04/20 05:04 PM
12/04/20 05:04 PM
NORTH DAKOTA
R
RedIShedND Offline OP
trapper
RedIShedND  Offline OP
trapper
R

NORTH DAKOTA
Is there any go to methods to keep birds of prey off snare catches? Thinking maybe slides into cover? What size wire would it take to hide a coyote? Unfortunately drags are not legal here for snares. Pulling until I figure something out. Too many eagles right now in my area making fast work of any catch

Re: 1st year wo snow [Re: RedIShedND] #7073540
12/04/20 05:18 PM
12/04/20 05:18 PM
north dakota
Y
yotegtr Offline
trapper
yotegtr  Offline
trapper
Y

north dakota
Once the eagle/eagles find you they will never leave. Even with overhead cover they will just land and hop to your catch. Ive lost thousands of dollars to Mr. Eagle. Once had a double on bobcats within 20yds of eachother and Mr. Eagle was sitting on the tom when I waked up. Big toms were fetching over a grand that year. Its a tough pill to swallow but its just a fact of life if you snare with eagles around.

Re: 1st year wo snow [Re: RedIShedND] #7073555
12/04/20 05:31 PM
12/04/20 05:31 PM
NORTH DAKOTA
R
RedIShedND Offline OP
trapper
RedIShedND  Offline OP
trapper
R

NORTH DAKOTA
I've lost a couple in the past nothing like my last two checks though can't believe I'm gonna say it where's the blowing and drifting snow I'm starting to miss it... Seems their stayn in the area longer than normal this year usually most leave after the deer gun season carcasses are cleaned up, no snow making our white rabbits easy prey might be keeping them around

Last edited by RedeyeND; 12/04/20 05:32 PM.
Re: 1st year wo snow [Re: RedIShedND] #7073604
12/04/20 06:22 PM
12/04/20 06:22 PM
Iron Range, Minnesota
R
Ringbill5196 Offline
trapper
Ringbill5196  Offline
trapper
R

Iron Range, Minnesota
Just heard Mark Steck say the same thing on a trapping show when he was snaring there. Interesting that it has gotten that bad. Chances are if water stays open, the eagles will not go further south too.

Re: 1st year wo snow [Re: RedIShedND] #7075037
12/05/20 03:42 PM
12/05/20 03:42 PM
NE
S
sandhillscoyotes Offline
trapper
sandhillscoyotes  Offline
trapper
S

NE
RedeyeND i had the same issue with eagles so i had to go to getting my line checked before daylight like said before once they are on to ya they wont leave ive even put out carcasses to fill them up but they still like the ones with the fur on them

Re: 1st year wo snow [Re: RedIShedND] #7075326
12/05/20 07:23 PM
12/05/20 07:23 PM
SD
Boone Liane Offline
trapper
Boone Liane  Offline
trapper

SD
No tricks.

Find heavier cover and/or check more often/earlier.

They can sure gobble up a fur check fast.

Re: 1st year wo snow [Re: RedIShedND] #7077726
12/07/20 08:55 AM
12/07/20 08:55 AM
ND
K
Kyle Krebs Offline
trapper
Kyle Krebs  Offline
trapper
K

ND
Eagles are a huge problem every year. I have some places I simply can't snare and only run footholds. Even had a coyote killed by an eagle in a trap yesterday. Everyone always says check more but I think alot of people don't know eagles follow coyotes as they hunt. Pay attention when you out making hay or calling coyotes. See a coyote come in and Mr eagle is right behind him. Many times have coyotes caught and still warm in snares and eagles either in tree watching or already on them. Heavy brush can help a little but be careful eagle will just walk into it from farther out instead of drop down from the top. Another side note is the cold and blowing snow I think helps because eagles will not hunt if weather is pure crap and don't see coyotes get caught. Also if under snow that helps. If you have resident eagles in your area you are just outta luck. I know this doesn't really help you with a solution but just some things I have noticed. Another observation is if you get in places with resident eagles is there is no small game and very few grouse pheasant ect. They are super efficienct predators. I think I read a study that said they eat 2 plus lbs of meat a day. Think about that in terms of small game.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91