Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Public waterway Beavers #7082448
12/10/20 10:23 AM
12/10/20 10:23 AM
New York
Short Track Offline OP
trapper
Short Track  Offline OP
trapper

New York
I've been trapping a new location for beavers. It's not a dam, but an open body of water, with a side channel formation. Like a tip of a boot. How many beavers can I take without depleting the colony ?

Just a weekend trapper...
Re: Public waterway Beavers [Re: Short Track] #7082485
12/10/20 10:45 AM
12/10/20 10:45 AM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Tell you start taking the young of the year beavers

Re: Public waterway Beavers [Re: Short Track] #7082661
12/10/20 01:46 PM
12/10/20 01:46 PM
Bryan, Tx
D
Dylan Phelps124 Offline
trapper
Dylan Phelps124  Offline
trapper
D

Bryan, Tx
From my experience, if it's a good location near a river or creak it will quickly become restocked even if you catch them all. I trapped a large slew about 2-3 miles long a few years ago and caught 41 in about two weeks before I stopped seeing any signs of life. Then within two months new beavers were already there building the dams back up.

If you really don't want to catch them all then just follow Mousey Trappers advice and stay away from trapping the lodge entrances.

Re: Public waterway Beavers [Re: Short Track] #7085791
12/12/20 10:45 AM
12/12/20 10:45 AM
NY
R
rendezvous Online content
trapper
rendezvous  Online Content
trapper
R

NY
How much activity/sign? How big is the house? How big is the feed pile? Do you know how long they been there? Plenty of feed for beaver in the immediate area? Are there other beaver in the area but in more inaccessible areas? Are others trapping the area? Are these beaver a problem? A lot of factors I take in on my decision.

For me... in general with a well established house with a decent feed pile, I assume a family of 2 adults, 2 two-year olds and 2 kits. With no issues with the beaver and possibly another trapper in the area, I would generally take two, leave two for the next guy and that leaves two for seed. But that's me, a guy that just enjoys trapping. If you know there is plenty of beaver in the area, I may take more. If the area is good other beaver will move in. If the beaver are a problem, the DEC, Township or Owner will be taking all options to get rid of them anyway, go at it!

If you only plan on taking two, don't trap near the house, you most likely will catch kits. Hope this helps, best of luck to you this season.

Last edited by rendezvous; 12/12/20 10:47 AM.

Let's go Brandon!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91