Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Getting started? #7081217
12/09/20 02:57 PM
12/09/20 02:57 PM
Ohio
S
Shorex4 Offline OP
trapper
Shorex4  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ohio
I'm basically looking for a shopping list critique.

I had trapped a few times as a kid, just muskrats in 110s and coons in cages. I just never committed to it.
My son's brought up trapping and hunting with me. They want to trap. I've been doing a bit of research into it and got my furbearer class passed.
They want to trap rats, mink, coon, and coyotes. I decided that we would focus on coon and water animals. Maybe set out one trap for k9s. They are young boys so I don't want to commit a ton of money incase they lose interest.

I planned on picking up 6 or 8 1.5s, a couple dogproofs, and a bridger 1.65. anything else I should be looking at?

Re: Getting started? [Re: Shorex4] #7081264
12/09/20 03:51 PM
12/09/20 03:51 PM
NNY
080808 Online content
trapper
080808  Online Content
trapper

NNY
Buy quality even if you have to buy less quantity. Concentrate on water animals with the kids to gain confidence. Most importantly have fun.

Re: Getting started? [Re: Shorex4] #7081308
12/09/20 04:25 PM
12/09/20 04:25 PM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Check your mail box.

Re: Getting started? [Re: Shorex4] #7081315
12/09/20 04:28 PM
12/09/20 04:28 PM
Central Minnesota
Outdoors Guy Offline
trapper
Outdoors Guy  Offline
trapper

Central Minnesota
rats and coons are the best for kids i would say as they are ones you can catch more often and always fun for them i would say for what you are looking to do that list will work but i personally would pick up a #2 trap for the coyote trap instead of the 1.65 if possible

Re: Getting started? [Re: Outdoors Guy] #7081372
12/09/20 05:18 PM
12/09/20 05:18 PM
Ohio
S
Shorex4 Offline OP
trapper
Shorex4  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ohio
I'd love to pick up a #2 but my states restriction is 5 3/8 inside jaw spread, anything 5 3/8 to 6 inches inside jaw spread has to have 3 swiveling points and gripping surface of 5/16 or greater. So it's either buy an mb550 duke 550 or laminate the jaws. Some sites say the bridger #2 is wider than that but without being able to measure it I don't wanna chance a run in with the law.

Re: Getting started? [Re: Shorex4] #7081377
12/09/20 05:25 PM
12/09/20 05:25 PM
Central Minnesota
Outdoors Guy Offline
trapper
Outdoors Guy  Offline
trapper

Central Minnesota
gotchya always good to be very careful, snares or cable restraints are another way but again depends on restrictions

Re: Getting started? [Re: Shorex4] #7082267
12/10/20 07:06 AM
12/10/20 07:06 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. ANd contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. MANY states have their own forums. Like here in NC. And TN has 2 and Va has 2 also and KY too. A mentor helps Learn trap prep and techniques and tricks and the laws in YOUR state regarding jaw spreads, shock springs, etc, etc. (( Laws vary a lot from state to state so BEWARE of FB and utube. You can be shown things that are illegal in your state!.)) This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Flemings, Northern Outdoors, Trap Shack, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, JR & Sons, Grawes, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Easter and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Getting started? [Re: Shorex4] #7083014
12/10/20 05:13 PM
12/10/20 05:13 PM
Ogden UT
C
cbfish Offline
trapper
cbfish  Offline
trapper
C

Ogden UT
I love the 1.65's. I use them for foxes and raccoons on land. They are a good trap. I have three varieties of dogproofs, duke, bridger, and coonshackles, but I have really come to like the coonshackles with the zinc coating. I bought them a few years ago for $105/dozen. They hold coons very well. I run duke and bridger 1.5's. Both require a little tinkering but are great water traps.

My kids run traps with me every day they can. My 14 yr old daughter just likes the one on one time more than anything but hey she is outside and enjoying God's creations. Trapping rats and coons can be a great way for them to see some success early. I let them do whatever they want from setting traps, applying salt, dispatch, luring and looking for locations for snares and traps. They love it.

Re: Getting started? [Re: Outdoors Guy] #7083299
12/10/20 08:30 PM
12/10/20 08:30 PM
Ohio
S
Shorex4 Offline OP
trapper
Shorex4  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ohio
Unfortunately snares are illegal here as well, atleast on public land which is all I have for now.

I did recently picked up an application for my state trapping assn. Will join soon. Hopefully they will have an annual meet. I was told alot of trappers take old traps to sell and trade. I found the trap shed as well.
I think I only want about a dozen traps since I'm mist likely only setting a weekend line.
I'm hoping to pick up a half dozen dog proofs mist likely the wolf creek diablo as they are local to me.
Maybe a half dozen 1.5 I'm not sure if I need to buy double jaws or not or if #1 dbl jaws would be enough?

I think I'll buy one mb or duke 550. I'm nervous about the yote trapping. Long story short I can't do firearms or smoke poles. I've been shot a couple times and even holding them sets some stuff off. The k9s are what my boys are most interested in though.

I plan on running 16 in chain stakes with super stakes or wolf fangs. I know it's overkill but like I said public land and 2 legged grinners. I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull them if the grounds frozen in jan

Re: Getting started? [Re: Shorex4] #7083326
12/10/20 08:45 PM
12/10/20 08:45 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
There are ways of dispatching a coyote that don’t involve guns if that’s your biggest worry, in fact I don’t even carry my gun on me when I’m checking. It usually stays in the pickup. Message me if you’d like to know more about it, we don’t talk about dispatch methods on the open forums.

If I were in your shoes I would get what you had on your list, and if budget is an issue I would buy bridger brand traps. They are less expensive than a lot of other brands but they are well built. If you really want to try out some mb550s and the cost doesn’t bother you too much I highly recommend them. I’ve been using the same ones for ten years and they’re just as good now as they were ten years ago. About the only thing I’ve found that they won’t hold up to is getting run over by a tractor lol. I’ve caught some big, nasty tempered coyotes in them and they hold up nicely. Also, if you buy mb550s and decide to get out of trapping you can list them on the trap shed and they’ll sell like hotcakes, you won’t be out much money.

They chain stakes are what I use and if you use them you will need a puller. I can not pull a super stake by hand in most types of soil. You will have trouble getting them out of frozen ground even with a puller. There have been times I’ve broken the chain before the stake comes out. Usually if they get frozen in I will just set off the trap and wait till spring thaw to go pick them up.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Getting started? [Re: Shorex4] #7083368
12/10/20 09:09 PM
12/10/20 09:09 PM
Maine
beezmador Offline
trapper
beezmador  Offline
trapper

Maine
Lots of great advice here already, and not to add to any confusion, but the No-Bs Extreme Jr. will also meet your state requirement and is another great coyote trap option. They have a 5 and 1/4 inch inside jaw spread. I like them and the MB -550's though own more MB's and they are hard to beat right out of the box. In my area we have a decent amount of red fox and it's a real good mixed line trap, easy on the fox. Those Jr's though are real good out of the box too - either will work well for you. We have the same inside jaw restriction requirement in our State. As Bob mentioned, there are ways to effective ways to dispatch without a firearm. Happy to help if you have questions.

Member of NTA, MTA and FTA - keeping up the Fight for our Right to trap
Re: Getting started? [Re: Shorex4] #7083418
12/10/20 09:35 PM
12/10/20 09:35 PM
Eastern N.C.
B
Bob LaRue Offline
trapper
Bob LaRue  Offline
trapper
B

Eastern N.C.
Since you're interested in some wolf creek products I would call them up & ask for the inside jaw spread on their #2's. Save some shipping fees getting everything from 1 shop. Their website jaw size description is frustrating.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91