Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Essential oil question #7085215
12/11/20 11:19 PM
12/11/20 11:19 PM
Iowa
M
mully Offline OP
trapper
mully  Offline OP
trapper
M

Iowa
What can I mix with these oils to make a paste type lure. I heated up some petro from MTP with a few drops of anise oil, but it didn't seem to mix well. I thought they were both oil based, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Essential oil question [Re: mully] #7085611
12/12/20 09:09 AM
12/12/20 09:09 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Maybe try mixing the essential oil with a dryer base that will absorb it then mixing the petro.... maybe a base that is attractive to ur target also

Re: Essential oil question [Re: mully] #7085625
12/12/20 09:20 AM
12/12/20 09:20 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
It would help greatly if we knew your target species.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Essential oil question [Re: mully] #7085808
12/12/20 11:04 AM
12/12/20 11:04 AM
Iowa
M
mully Offline OP
trapper
mully  Offline OP
trapper
M

Iowa
Just wondering how to mix oils so they blend well with a base for a smear type lure. I only need the oil scent, just want the base to hold the scent in a specific spot for as long as possible. Probably a loaded question. For example Traprjohn, poplar bud oil on a peeled stick for beaver. Or anise on the lip of a weasel box. I have plenty of very good commercial lures, just dabbling in making something simple. You gotta start somewhere!

Re: Essential oil question [Re: mully] #7086017
12/12/20 02:08 PM
12/12/20 02:08 PM
PA
woodchuck Offline
trapper
woodchuck  Offline
trapper

PA
Glad saw this as was about to make a post for same type, poplar bud oil mixed with what to make something not necessarily a paste but thicker then just the oil itself.

Re: Essential oil question [Re: woodchuck] #7086768
12/12/20 11:05 PM
12/12/20 11:05 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by woodchuck
Glad saw this as was about to make a post for same type, poplar bud oil mixed with what to make something not necessarily a paste but thicker then just the oil itself.

lure thickeners from JR & Sons or Grawes or Kaatz Bros or other suppliers...some use lard or lanolin too.

should be in the 8-10 catalogs that I hope are already on your desks guys.,,..like from the 3 above plus Schmitt Enterprises, FandT, PCS, Southeastern Outdoors, MTP, RP Outdoors, Eplers, Sterling Fur, etc, etc.

What i did was join the Lure/Baitmakers Free Book Club to shorten my learning curve by decades.

Here's how....get 1 or more supply catalogs, make a few copies of the page with Lure/baitmaker books, circle a couple different books on several copies, give copies to loved ones to buy your Christmas or Birthday or Anniversary or Valentines or Easter gifts and explain you want their money to go to something you want/need/will use as opposed to a sweater you may only wear once/yr.

Re: Essential oil question [Re: mully] #7086848
12/13/20 12:36 AM
12/13/20 12:36 AM
Iowa
M
mully Offline OP
trapper
mully  Offline OP
trapper
M

Iowa
Traprjohn, thanks for the info. I have supported most of the dealers you mentioned over the years, as I hope you have.

Re: Essential oil question [Re: mully] #7095600
12/18/20 03:24 PM
12/18/20 03:24 PM
West Virginia
J
John Houben Offline
trapper
John Houben  Offline
trapper
J

West Virginia
Understand that not all "essentials" are oil based. The same "essential" maybe available in either a water soluble version or an oil soluble version. If you are not buying from a major supplier of essentials you may not know what you are getting. In which case, you will need to make some small scale solubility/mixing tests. Do this my trying to mix several drops of the essential and of the base you are trying to blend to see if they are compatible before mixing large amounts only to find they don't mix.

Re: Essential oil question [Re: John Houben] #7098393
12/20/20 06:16 PM
12/20/20 06:16 PM
PA
Coon Duke Offline
trapper
Coon Duke  Offline
trapper

PA
Originally Posted by John Houben
Understand that not all "essentials" are oil based. The same "essential" maybe available in either a water soluble version or an oil soluble version. If you are not buying from a major supplier of essentials you may not know what you are getting. In which case, you will need to make some small scale solubility/mixing tests. Do this my trying to mix several drops of the essential and of the base you are trying to blend to see if they are compatible before mixing large amounts only to find they don't mix.

Great post. Life would be so much easier if there was a solubility “chart” out there for all the essential, perfume, and flavor oils.

~ PTA Life #482 - FTA - NTA ~

https://tstrapline.com/

https://youtube.com/@toddstrohecker
Re: Essential oil question [Re: mully] #7098526
12/20/20 08:02 PM
12/20/20 08:02 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Lure making is a challenge and a continuous learning curve all along the way if you are going it alone.. If it was all so easy to figure out there would be many more in the business.

What John has said is very true but just another part of the learning curve. If it came so easy there wouldnt much fun or sincere interest in continuing. What is learned the hard way and at times the expensive way, will stay with you and give you another building block to move to another level. Most have to pay their dues to achieve their goals or to learn thru other means of training or learning. It comes with time and experimentation then some by accident.

Re: Essential oil question [Re: mully] #7098549
12/20/20 08:22 PM
12/20/20 08:22 PM
Iowa
M
mully Offline OP
trapper
mully  Offline OP
trapper
M

Iowa
Remember, not everyone is in this game to make lures to sell. I do it for the satisfaction of catching a few on lures I make. I also understand you commercial lure makers probably don't want to reveal too much info. I use this forum as a learning tool to make me a better trapper. If I think asking a question on here will shorten my learning curve, I will ask it. Thanks to everyone who replied with helpful info! I agree you never really know what you are buying from some suppliers, which is part of the reason I asked the initial question.

Re: Essential oil question [Re: mully] #7100654
12/22/20 12:26 PM
12/22/20 12:26 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Mully, have you entered the FREE bait/lure makers book club?...to get free books on this very subject?

get a few supply catalogs,
make copies of the lure book page
circle a couple different books on each page
give pages to loved ones to get your Christmas, birthday, anniversary, Easter, labor day, etc, etc gifts.

tell them you want their money to go to something you want/need/will put to use as opposed to a sweater that will stay in the closet except for 6 hrs/year.

Eventually you graduate to getting glands, urines and essential oils as gifts from those loved ones.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91