Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
More annoying new guy questions #7098363
12/20/20 05:42 PM
12/20/20 05:42 PM
Ohio
S
Shorex4 Offline OP
trapper
Shorex4  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ohio
Ike I said in my last post my 11 year old twins want to run some traps.. I've found some decent public land that doesn't show signs of humans to trap and it's to and from my way to work for weekday checks and close enough that weekend checks in the worst weather won't be a problem.
I have no idea about trap anchoring. I went and looked and the set locations I found were all muddy clay creek bank and dense clay woodland. I'm in ohio so it freezes deep here in late winter.
Deciding on anchors I found the super fang from a company about 30 mins from me. I've seen where some made this style of anchor retrievable by adding a second cable to pull it up and down then out. I think this will work well I'll also make a puller just to be sure. But for driving in frozen ground would it make sense to get a piece of 3/4 round stock and make a pilot driver? It would save alot of stress on the end and the driver and wouldn't be that heavy ( I have to walk the line atleast a mile)

I've also settled on trap selection
I have 2 1.5 coils
I'm picking up a couple 110s, gonna make 4 or 5 colony traps, atleast 4 dog proof and 4 number 2s. I've got a welder I can borrow to laminate the jaws to make them legal in my state.

I filled my dirt floored garage floor with gravel started working on a couple fleshing beams and wood boards. I have a broken dryer and washer out there I'll convert to a drum and fur washer. I'm really not sure how many boards I'll need. I think I have an old fridge I can stick out there to freeze fur. I'm thinking a half dozen coon boards a half dozen rat a couple mink and a couple yote boards.

Like I said I'm trying to keep this on a budget as much as possible. I'm not very wealthy infact likely the opposite,but I'd like to give them all the tools to be successful.

Any advice or ideas.

Re: More annoying new guy questions [Re: Shorex4] #7098391
12/20/20 06:15 PM
12/20/20 06:15 PM
Maine
beezmador Offline
trapper
beezmador  Offline
trapper

Maine
If you want to use super fangs you could drill a pilot hole in the frozen ground to help. Ground is freezing up pretty good here in Maine and drove a super stake in today without problem though.

I might suggest you focus on just a few species to get going - maybe your water animals - coon, mink, muskrats. They are typically easier to trap (more forgiving), they don't require as heavy duty equipment, you can typically find the locations and movements of these animals easily but tracks in the mud along the creeks etc., and the equipment you have can catch all the same species, though you wouldn't want to use a 110 conibear on raccoons. You can set some dogproofs along the bank, dig a pocket set in the bank and catch coon ink and muskrats - if you aren't frozen up already of course.

If you really want to get after coyotes, you need to think about having a supply of dry trap covering material (peat moss, waxed dirt, dry dirt, salt or other freeze proofing), pan covers, sifter, drivers for stakes, sledgehammer, trowel perhaps, maybe an ax to dig out a trap bed if ground is frozen, and strong reliable traps that are swiveled. It's kind of a different equipment list than your waterline. You can definitely do it, I like to set a few beaver sets out when I'm coyote trapping for fun and the landowners love me for it, but you will need to get different gear for canines than for a waterline.

Member of NTA, MTA and FTA - keeping up the Fight for our Right to trap
Re: More annoying new guy questions [Re: Shorex4] #7098404
12/20/20 06:31 PM
12/20/20 06:31 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Join your State and local associations. Attend any conventions you can get to. Many good demos.Make ure to bring your kids. They will have a ball.

Re: More annoying new guy questions [Re: 080808] #7098440
12/20/20 06:56 PM
12/20/20 06:56 PM
Ohio
S
Shorex4 Offline OP
trapper
Shorex4  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ohio
I was hoping to get to some right now they are all canceled unfortunately. I did send in my membership though. I'm hoping in spring things will be settled and we can go. I am sure they would have a blast.

I do have alot of tools for predator sets. I have a bunch of hardware cloth to make a sifter, a pulaski to dig out beds, I have an old solar oven project I could make waxed dirt with. The only reason I want to put out any predator sets is that that's what one of my sons is dead set on. I was thinking of upsizing the 110s to 155 theax size allowed on land here ,so they could be used for coon to. The land I have isn't loaded with any one animal but has a mix of sign for rats, coon, fox and yote

Re: More annoying new guy questions [Re: Shorex4] #7098442
12/20/20 06:57 PM
12/20/20 06:57 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I would say make at least three coyote boards. You can always stick a big coon on a coyote board in a pinch, but not the opposite. You’ll find that as you get the hang of trapping you’ll run out of boards pretty fast if you only have a couple in each size. It’s been happening to me this year, had to carve a coon board to fit a fox, put medium coyotes on fox boards, big foxes on coyote boards, take a fox off a board before it’s finished. Playing musical boards all fall. You can bet I’ll be building some new boards in the off season this year.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: More annoying new guy questions [Re: Shorex4] #7098531
12/20/20 08:09 PM
12/20/20 08:09 PM
Huntingdon Co. Pa.
F
forestman3 Offline
trapper
forestman3  Offline
trapper
F

Huntingdon Co. Pa.
What part of Ohio are you in?

Re: More annoying new guy questions [Re: forestman3] #7098574
12/20/20 08:38 PM
12/20/20 08:38 PM
Ohio
S
Shorex4 Offline OP
trapper
Shorex4  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ohio
East central ohio about 1.5-2 hours from pa border. Tuscarawas/holmes county specfically

Re: More annoying new guy questions [Re: Shorex4] #7098919
12/21/20 12:31 AM
12/21/20 12:31 AM
Central MN
Gray Breard Offline
trapper
Gray Breard  Offline
trapper

Central MN
Rusty old steel fence posts are pretty versatile. Wire them in the middle and a coon has a 6 foot drag. Wire them on the end and you a rat drowner. I have used them for canine drags too. Just use a stout wire in case Wiley E Coyote shows up.

My Gal's name is Ma Deuce.

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
Re: More annoying new guy questions [Re: Shorex4] #7099025
12/21/20 07:18 AM
12/21/20 07:18 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. ANd contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. MANY states have their own forums. Like here in NC. And TN has 2 and Va has 2 also and OH and KY too. A mentor helps Learn trap prep and techniques and tricks and the laws in YOUR state regarding jaw spreads, shock springs, etc, etc. (( Laws vary a lot from state to state so BEWARE of FB and utube. You can be shown things that are illegal in your state!.)) This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Flemings, Northern Outdoors, Trap Shack, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, JR & Sons, Grawes, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Easter and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: More annoying new guy questions [Re: Shorex4] #7099269
12/21/20 11:31 AM
12/21/20 11:31 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
^^^and when ya do the above and ask Officers for a mentor AND they find out you have 11 yr olds, IT'LL BE ON!

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91