Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Setting DP in a hole? #7110090
12/28/20 11:43 PM
12/28/20 11:43 PM
AR
B
bigfoottrapper Offline OP
trapper
bigfoottrapper  Offline OP
trapper
B

AR
I just heard a podcast where a trapper did this. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7110210
12/29/20 02:28 AM
12/29/20 02:28 AM
Central MN
Gray Breard Offline
trapper
Gray Breard  Offline
trapper

Central MN
If the hole isn't big enough, you run the risk of it not firing all the way. Besides, Coons are not too fussy. No real need to stick it in the ground. If you want, give them a shot of paint and pull some grass or weeds up around it. So long as it smells really good, Coons are game.

My Gal's name is Ma Deuce.

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7110273
12/29/20 07:28 AM
12/29/20 07:28 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
sure it can be done, and has been done, but why make more unnecessary work and take more time?

If the coon are there, they will find it, especially when a trailing scent/trail is used.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7110361
12/29/20 09:31 AM
12/29/20 09:31 AM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN
Ever had a coon walk by a dog proof trap? It happens more than most probably realize. Sometimes you have to change the presentation a bit to take the finicky ones.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7110412
12/29/20 10:24 AM
12/29/20 10:24 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Don't remember the name of them but one of the first DPs were the type you could bury. And I think they were more successful then the exposed DPs we have today. It was more about the curiosity factor.
Of course they had some draw backs do to the fact that you could bury them.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: The Beav] #7110508
12/29/20 11:23 AM
12/29/20 11:23 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by The Beav
Don't remember the name of them but one of the first DPs were the type you could bury. And I think they were more successful then the exposed DPs we have today. It was more about the curiosity factor.
Of course they had some draw backs do to the fact that you could bury them.

I think it took a tool to take apart and get your coon out.

Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7110530
12/29/20 11:39 AM
12/29/20 11:39 AM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline
trapper
Teacher  Offline
trapper

Rochester, MN
Ron Jones did an article in the Trapper’s Post about 3-4 years ago on this very subject. As a successful ADC and fur trapper, his article and podcasts gave us another option for coon that won’t work a DP.

Mark Steck used what I think was called a coon cuff that was buried, in his long line coon video and book. He did say he was going to move over to the z-trap style DP most of us use today, in the future. I think in his subsequent coon videos, he used Duke or Griz or Z-traps or something similar.

Last edited by Teacher; 12/29/20 11:46 AM. Reason: More information added.

Never too old to learn
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7110658
12/29/20 01:34 PM
12/29/20 01:34 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
If you used a egg trap you had to take the trap apart and then there was a tool to reset the trap.Then there was another trap that was built like a rectangular box and you needed a tool to release the coon and reset the trap.
I don't think you needed tool for the coon cuff.

Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7111340
12/29/20 09:01 PM
12/29/20 09:01 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
A local fur buyer/trapper here built the coon cuff his name is Dennis Vicars. I remember him speaking in depth with me about them when I was much younger. They had to be buried and then you’d slick up the dirt around them to look like a natural pocket. They’d grab the coon like many of the popular dps today but didn’t sit on top of the soil. I believe they are still carried at some of the scheels stores he sells to. It was ahead of its time as far as how the trap was designed but I stopped using them when the modern dps came out due to the fact you didn’t have to bury them.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: The Beav] #7111964
12/30/20 08:42 AM
12/30/20 08:42 AM
U.P. Michigan
Spade Offline
trapper
Spade  Offline
trapper

U.P. Michigan
Originally Posted by The Beav
If you used a egg trap you had to take the trap apart and then there was a tool to reset the trap.Then there was another trap that was built like a rectangular box and you needed a tool to release the coon and reset the trap.
I don't think you needed tool for the coon cuff.

The old Yancy trap, was a trap you could bury, had a stopper you would put in the hole to keep the dirt out, then remove and it had a tool that looked like a gun frame that you used to remove the coon, and reset the trap. I think there still be made today by his son. End caps were always getting lost.

24 years Army Medical Corps

I only want to be known as:

A great husband, a good trapper, and a great steward of the land.
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7111991
12/30/20 09:11 AM
12/30/20 09:11 AM
AR
B
trapper
trapper
B

AR
Originally Posted by bigfoottrapper
I just heard a podcast where a trapper did this. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

the guy I was listening to used a regular modern DP trap and put it in a dirt hole?

Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7112003
12/30/20 09:22 AM
12/30/20 09:22 AM
RI / MN
C
Cameron Kelsey Offline
trapper
Cameron Kelsey  Offline
trapper
C

RI / MN

Thanks

the guy I was listening to used a regular modern DP trap and put it in a dirt hole?

By chance was the guy you were listening to Ron Jones from New Jersey? He isn't allowed footholds in his home state and he's constantly thinking outside the box to better utilize the tools he is allowed. Ron is a member here and hopefully he chimes in. His knowledge of coon and how to catch them is pretty impressive.

CWO4, SC, US Navy
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7112054
12/30/20 09:59 AM
12/30/20 09:59 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I have one of those Yancy traps. I know I have the wood plug and the setter but I'm not sure about the end plates.

Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7112403
12/30/20 02:36 PM
12/30/20 02:36 PM
AR
B
trapper
trapper
B

AR

By chance was the guy you were listening to Ron Jones from New Jersey? He isn't allowed footholds in his home state and he's constantly thinking outside the box to better utilize the tools he is allowed. Ron is a member here and hopefully he chimes in. His knowledge of coon and how to catch them is pretty impressive. [/quote]

I don't remember his name, but he was from the northern part of U.S.

Last edited by bigfoottrapper; 12/30/20 02:37 PM.
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7113638
12/31/20 12:02 PM
12/31/20 12:02 PM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
Learn about dirt holes and Dp's at South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7116160
01/01/21 10:21 PM
01/01/21 10:21 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Here in my area, the DP traps in the pocket sets, dirt holes, and mound sets along with water sets will out produce the standard DP set in the long run, plus it will pick up some greys and small reds. a push-pull system is better for catching the greys. Then again if you don't need to do anything other than stick it in the ground why change. in that other DP in the ground post from 2018 I said a lot LOL Of course, We will be covering it in detail at the school in a couple of weeks.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7116387
01/02/21 01:31 AM
01/02/21 01:31 AM
Central MN
Gray Breard Offline
trapper
Gray Breard  Offline
trapper

Central MN
They don't call them dog proof for nothing. The push-pull trigger totally defeats the idea. I'm not a fan. If you are using push-pull, you might as well just use a leg hold. I help out neighbors with Coon/Chicken probs and the family pooch running around the place. It wouldn't take long to lose favor with them.

Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7116445
01/02/21 07:16 AM
01/02/21 07:16 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
In my state, we can't use foot traps, can't even possess them. Newt, Morgan, and I have to tell the folks coming to the school, do not bring foot traps into the state, leave them home. The main reason we lost the foot trap back in 84 was raccoons. The antis didn't use the fox or muskrat as the banner child it was the coon. The DP trap for the most part now can not be viewed and used negatively by the anti's as they did back then because the positive features are the foot is encapsulated and the coon can not get to the numb paw parts. Also here in my state, we can not use the push-pull system we can only use pull. But I do also wish we could use the push-pull. Each tool has its place, positive and negative features. It is up to me to use the correct tool in the right spot for the right results.

Some coon will not pull up on the trigger. I know, I hear it all the time, they ALL will pull it. LOL I have coon that says otherwise. I have spent hours watching coon work cages, DP traps, and cable both in person and on my camera videos. When GOD wants to humble me because my head is getting too big he uses a coon, skunk, or squirrel to do it LOL (3/4 of my livelihood comes from these 3 so there is no such thing as I hope I can catch them I have to catch them) I have seen too many coon that for many reasons will not pull the trigger or even work a standard stuck in the mud Set. Two things help. Presentation is the first, just like you blend in the foot trap. (Presentation) Presenting the set in a different way can make the coon work it. 2, The just don't give it to them mindset can make them go nuts. I have seen where I have two DP traps next to each other, one advanced set one standard set baited and lured the same way and products. The coon will only look and smell the standard (stuck in the mud) set, yet work the advanced set. And most of the time the coon that is acting this way is the 20% part of the 80/20 concept. meaning they are the bigger older coon we are looking for.

Going back to Gary's post above.

I agree with what he said for the most part. The push-pull will catch a grey fox so it could catch a very small dog, but most house dogs (not all but most) paws are too big or will not work the DP trap hard if the baits are sweet or not attractive to dogs but the trapper must be thinking ahead.. Last and I think most important, it is up to the trapper or ADC man/ women to use their head and think ahead and not only use the tool they want, but use the tool that fits the situation and needs, and are not going to cause a problem at that spot or situation.

Last edited by Jonesie; 01/02/21 07:23 AM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: bigfoottrapper] #7119982
01/04/21 12:37 PM
01/04/21 12:37 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
I use a modified hoe to dig a trench for the dp thinking the fresh dirt is an attractor hard to say if this helps because our coon population is low and the last 2 years have had high mast crops But it does make me feel clever smile

olden tyred
Re: Setting DP in a hole? [Re: jeff karsten] #7120296
01/04/21 05:13 PM
01/04/21 05:13 PM
Central MN
Gray Breard Offline
trapper
Gray Breard  Offline
trapper

Central MN
Jonesie, I find that hard to believe. I have had 4 pet coons over the years and they grab Everything they touch. In the shop, they are grabbing nuts, bolts, tools. In the yard they are grabbing everything from sticks to dog turds. A pull only DP is a magnet for them

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91