Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Deer Lure recipe #7116210
01/01/21 10:50 PM
01/01/21 10:50 PM
PA
G
GreyWanderer Offline OP
trapper
GreyWanderer  Offline OP
trapper
G

PA
I wondering if anyone has any deer lure recipes or at least advice they would be willing to share. I’m no longer interested in just using deer urine. I’ve developed an interest in making my own ‘trapper style’ lures. By that I mean a compounded lure of glands, urine, curiosity and side odors. What kind of fixatives, preservatives, thickeners, or anti-freeze would be recommended. I’ve been tincturing tarsal and head glands the last few years. If anyone body has any recommendations I would appreciate it.

Re: Deer Lure recipe [Re: GreyWanderer] #7116766
01/02/21 12:01 PM
01/02/21 12:01 PM
central, michigan
3fox Offline
trapper
3fox  Offline
trapper

central, michigan
I have 2 words for you. Tonquin musk

Re: Deer Lure recipe [Re: GreyWanderer] #7117567
01/02/21 09:05 PM
01/02/21 09:05 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I have had my deer scent line now since 1990. Using the traditional glands and urines and essential oils to formulate them. Now fast forward to a lot of states that are now banning or have banned natural deer urines, glands, and parts. The old deer scents won't be allowed to be used. You may have to find other oils and or compounds that the deer are attracted to and work from there. I am 2 years into formulation on my new line of deer urine/parts free line. I had to start from scratch. So what I am saying is the first thing you need to find out is, is your area or customer base areas going to, or already have banned natural deer urine, glands, and parts. or are they going to be banned? Next, are you going to make a dragging scent or a mock scrape or hanger? If you are making for yourself or not dealing with scents being banned then simply think gland lures and use deer whatever.

Last edited by Jonesie; 01/02/21 09:07 PM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Deer Lure recipe [Re: GreyWanderer] #7117966
01/03/21 07:36 AM
01/03/21 07:36 AM
Maine
beezmador Offline
trapper
beezmador  Offline
trapper

Maine
Johnny Thorpe recommended deer testicles, some tonquin, touch of salt and enough glycerin to get desired consistency as one of the best deer attractors you can use

Member of NTA, MTA and FTA - keeping up the Fight for our Right to trap
Re: Deer Lure recipe [Re: 3fox] #7118113
01/03/21 09:58 AM
01/03/21 09:58 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Originally Posted by 3fox
I have 2 words for you. Tonquin musk

Yep

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Deer Lure recipe [Re: GreyWanderer] #7120730
01/04/21 10:03 PM
01/04/21 10:03 PM
PA
G
GreyWanderer Offline OP
trapper
GreyWanderer  Offline OP
trapper
G

PA
Thanks to all of you. I recently bought some Tonquin and beaver castor as additives, but haven’t put them to use yet.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the amount of musks to add. I’ve heard 3 to 5 drops per pint for predator lures

Jonesie, So far my state continues to allow natural urine but I look for that to change. I suppose that will also put an end to using the gland tinctures.

Last edited by GreyWanderer; 01/04/21 10:39 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Re: Deer Lure recipe [Re: GreyWanderer] #7121387
01/05/21 10:17 AM
01/05/21 10:17 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Originally Posted by GreyWanderer
Thanks to all of you. I recently bought some Tonquin and beaver castor as additives, but haven’t put them to use yet.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the amount of musks to add. I’ve heard 3 to 5 drops per pint for predator lures

Jonesie, So far my state continues to allow natural urine but I look for that to change. I suppose that will also put an end to using the gland tinctures.

You have a few CWD hot spots that the natural urine-based scents are banned. I have many Pa hunters using my scents and I know it was brought up statewide but at this point, common sense has your state just hot spots, no the knee-jerk reaction based on no proof either way. NJ is getting ready to ban them statewide. most of the northeast is banned.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91