Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best way to trap with footholds in snow #7120165
01/04/21 03:24 PM
01/04/21 03:24 PM
Northern Wisconsin
N
NorthenTrapper Offline OP
trapper
NorthenTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
N

Northern Wisconsin
Ive read through the mastering snow trapping thread in the archive, but I figured you trappers that trap up on Alaska and Canada have to have really pinpointed a way to still catch the critters in a foot or more of snow any help or suggestions welcome.

“We will visit the Holy Land and see those places hallowed by the footsteps of the Savior,”
-Lincoln
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7120199
01/04/21 03:46 PM
01/04/21 03:46 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
What animals?

Mean As Nails
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7120213
01/04/21 04:04 PM
01/04/21 04:04 PM
Alaska Northwestern
That Fool Offline
trapper
That Fool  Offline
trapper

Alaska Northwestern
Will depend on weather conditions and which animal. Freeze and thaw conditions will make it a lot harder.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7120237
01/04/21 04:26 PM
01/04/21 04:26 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
Like That Fool said freeze thaw conditions play a huge factor.
For me and my area, if the snow is powder and we have 20 degrees or below, wax paper over the top and bottom of the trap covered with a thin layer of snow, the trap will fire.
Standard sets with peat, coveralls, wax dirt will also work.
Above 20 and things become alot different. Burn out, were the snow melts around your set and you end up with a island of peat, dirt, or coveralls, or your wax paper becomes exposed.
My go to set is the hay set, pretty much bomb proof. Once set you don't have to mess with it until you get 4-6 inches of snow. You dot have to use hay either, there is plenty of natural grass that you can gather and use.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7120385
01/04/21 06:33 PM
01/04/21 06:33 PM
Northern Wisconsin
N
trapper
trapper
N

Northern Wisconsin
Mostly coyotes and other caniens like foxes snow comes and it stays hardly ever freeze thaw conditions up here.

“We will visit the Holy Land and see those places hallowed by the footsteps of the Savior,”
-Lincoln
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: HFT AK] #7120696
01/04/21 09:53 PM
01/04/21 09:53 PM
Northern Wisconsin
N
trapper
trapper
N

Northern Wisconsin
With your first method do you just pack the snow until its hard enough for a trap bed?

-Lincoln
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7120719
01/04/21 10:01 PM
01/04/21 10:01 PM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
Just about all my sets are made off of my sled, I try not to leave any foot prints. I have a 2 ft trowel that I pack the snow down with were I want to put the trap, pound in my stake, or bury the drag, dig a hole pack it some more, put wax paper down, place trap, wax paper under the loose jaw, then cover with snow. I picked up a big scoop from Teds Fur Shed that works pretty good for scooping up the snow and placing it over the trap. I might sift a little snow to even things out, drop some bait in the hole, a shot of pee right on the edge of the trail and off I go.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7120726
01/04/21 10:02 PM
01/04/21 10:02 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
My biggest challenge for wolverine footholds here, (which probably won't be of much help for you), is when our wet ground gets blasted suddenly with big northerlies, and , (for here) deep freeze, say single didgits. . Then, the ground actually pushes ice up, through the bedding and trap, as well as any covering. Forget squirrel midden duff. It pancakes.
I use a bed of hemlock boughs, and also use hemlock tips for cover. It isn't bullet proof, but works as well as any other methods I've tried.

Last edited by alaska viking; 01/05/21 12:24 AM.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7120809
01/04/21 10:25 PM
01/04/21 10:25 PM
Southeast, Alaska
S
SE.Current Offline
trapper
SE.Current  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast, Alaska
I screen a few buckets of fine native gravel from my line. I bring that home and add wax flakes while heating up the gravel in a metal tub. Bedding with that gravel seems to help shed away moisture from my trap when setting for wolves. The snow is easier to avoid with the forest canopy and a good trap.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7121050
01/05/21 12:23 AM
01/05/21 12:23 AM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
alaska viking  Offline
A

Orergon
How fine is the gravel you use? I find the idea intriguing.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7121083
01/05/21 12:55 AM
01/05/21 12:55 AM
Southeast, Alaska
S
SE.Current Offline
trapper
SE.Current  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast, Alaska
Just a step up from beach sand. I’ve also waxed beach sand for beach sets if my tides are small. The beach sand smells pretty fishy so I don’t set it on dry land tho. I’ve screened D1 gravel in my yard and waxed that for wolves with good success as well for logging road sets.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7122768
01/06/21 02:00 AM
01/06/21 02:00 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
I set mine hair trigger on a mound of snow, and snap it every check or two, and reset it to keep it firing. I use a little top fluff to cover, just enough to break up the outline. Better yet leave it exposed if its snowing.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7122818
01/06/21 02:55 AM
01/06/21 02:55 AM

O
Oh Snap
Unregistered
Oh Snap
Unregistered
O

Trapping in deep snow is all about the trap. The Alaskan #9 works good.
The best conditions though is when you get it in layers. I would make my sets as p posts close to a tree for tying off the trap. I would put 2 traps at each set each side of a spruce twig or brush and put urine on it.
I would walk around and when done sweep the area of tracks. Snow would usually cover everything up. Wrap wax paper under trap and under and leaving the loose jaw uncovered. Wad the wax paper so it is soft and quiet.
Another set was a trail set in the middle of my trail. Cut a trench from 0 to 2 inches deep in the center about 15 feet long. Place the trap in the center of the trench flush with the 2 inches below the trail. Wax paper it and you can drive over it all winter. Wolves will walk right down the impression. At least that was my experience.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: alaska viking] #7122823
01/06/21 04:09 AM
01/06/21 04:09 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Online content
trapper
waggler  Online Content
trapper
W

Originally Posted by alaska viking
My biggest challenge for wolverine footholds here, (which probably won't be of much help for you), is when our wet ground gets blasted suddenly with big northerlies, and , (for here) deep freeze, say single didgits. . Then, the ground actually pushes ice up, through the bedding and trap, as well as any covering. Forget squirrel midden duff. It pancakes.
I use a bed of hemlock boughs, and also use hemlock tips for cover. It isn't bullet proof, but works as well as any other methods I've tried.

Have you ever tried pop-weed for trap bedding and covering?

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7123018
01/06/21 09:35 AM
01/06/21 09:35 AM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
A foot or more of snow will render any foothold set in the ground useless where I am. We get heavy snow that is very wet. Best solution I have found is to seek out areas that receive lower accumulation due to forest canopy screening the sets or terrain that sees less due to wind profile.
The tap beds I do are oversized in depth and in a cone shape. The “Pipe Dream” set describes this type of trap bed pretty closely. The jaws and cross frame of the set trap bridge this cone at the actual trap bedding depth providing a couple inches of room for moisture underneath. The native materials I seek out for coverings which have worked well for me are hemlock, the last 3-4”towards the tips, alder leaves, and yellow beach grass, which needs to be arraigned carefully so as not to make a pancake as the jaws fire.
Is this the best way? I have no idea. It is the best, for me, with what I have....

Since the OP is from Wisconsin I would encourage researching the true Pipe Dream set. Keep in mind that many of us northern trappers are using very specialized sets, tailored too very specific regional conditions.

Last edited by mad_mike; 01/06/21 10:55 AM. Reason: Trap exclusion
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: white17] #7123032
01/06/21 09:46 AM
01/06/21 09:46 AM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Originally Posted by NorthenTrapper
Ive read through the mastering snow trapping thread in the archive, but I figured you trappers that trap up on Alaska and Canada have to have really pinpointed a way to still catch the critters in a foot or more of snow any help or suggestions welcome.

Originally Posted by white17
What animals?

My marten traps could stay working trough 3+ feet of snowfall. My wolf or wolverine sets, not so much.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7123153
01/06/21 10:31 AM
01/06/21 10:31 AM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
Freeze thaw makes it hard in the winter.
Snow over 3-4 inches is also hard.
Takes more maintenance no matter what you do.
I use wax paper, cling wrap, wax dirt, peet moss etc. all to help out.
Good weather is your friend this time of year.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7123227
01/06/21 11:24 AM
01/06/21 11:24 AM
W
waggler Online content
trapper
waggler  Online Content
trapper
W

I will try to describe how they set foothold traps and foot snares in the snow in Sweden and Russia. I watched it done with a foot snare while in Sweden one January, and a Russian friend of mine showed me how they do it in Siberia with footholds.

I have never seen this method used or described here in North America.

Both my Russian and Swedish friend told me that when an animal such as a fox or presumably a coyote goes through the snow they will step in the same hole in the snow (track) that they stepped in the last time they came down the same trail.

The trapper selects an area along the animal's trail where he wants to set the trap. He then approaches the animal's trail from a right angle preferably from behind or alongside a tree or bush. Starting maybe 16 inches away from a particular footprint the trapper carefully scoops out a hole in the snow maybe a foot square with a wooden paddle type of tool made for the purpose; the snow is set aside for filling the hole latter.

Once the hole is dug, then the trapper uses the paddle to slice under the snow a few inch towards the footprint until he come right under the footprint at the level where the animals foot cam to a rest. The paddle is then wiggled side to side a bit in order to excavate a place for the trap to set, the trap is slid into position so that the pan is directly where the animals foot will come down the next time it steps in it's old track.

The trap chain is buried back towards where the trapper is standing along with the drag. The paddle is then used to fill the hole back in that was originally made, and as the trapper backs away he uses a large feather duster to smooth everything off as well as uses the paddle and duster to fill in his boot tracks. No scent or anything else is used that may cause the animal to alter it's original course.

I wish I had a video of this type of set. It's very simple and makes a lot of sense when you stop to think about it. A little new snow or wind makes it even better.

I just found two old scanned pictures I took of the final steps of the process. The image on the top a stick is pointed at the track under which the trap pan lays. The picture on the bottom is dusting the area over upon retreat. Notice in the picture the trapper is standing on the edge of a road where the animal crosses, an easy place to disguise your presence from the animal.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by waggler; 01/06/21 12:04 PM.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: waggler] #7123249
01/06/21 11:42 AM
01/06/21 11:42 AM
49th State
M
mad_mike Offline
trapper
mad_mike  Offline
trapper
M

49th State
Originally Posted by waggler
I will try to describe how they set foothold traps and foot snares in the snow in Sweden and Russia. I watched it done with a foot snare while in Sweden one January, and a Russian friend of mine showed me how they do it in Siberia with footholds.

I have never seen this method used or described here in North America.

Both my Russian and Swedish friend told me that when an animal such as a fox or presumably a coyote goes through the snow they will step in the same hole in the snow (track) that they stepped in the last time they came down the same trail.

The trapper selects an area along the animal's trail where he wants to set the trap. He then approaches the animal's trail from a right angle preferably from behind or alongside a tree or bush. Starting maybe 16 inches away from a particular footprint the trapper carefully scoops out a hole in the snow maybe a foot square with a wooden paddle type of tool made for the purpose; the snow is set aside for filling the hole latter.

Once the hole is dug, then the trapper uses the paddle to slice under the snow a few inch towards the footprint until he come right under the footprint at the level where the animals foot cam to a rest. The paddle is then wiggled side to side a bit in order to excavate a place for the trap to set, the trap is slid into position so that the pan is directly where the animals foot will come down the next time it steps in it's old track.

The trap chain is buried back towards where the trapper is standing along with the drag. The paddle is then used to fill the hole back in that was originally made, and as the trapper backs away he uses a large feather duster to smooth everything off as well as uses the paddle and duster to fill in his boot tracks. No scent or anything else is used that may cause the animal to alter it's original course.

I wish I had a video of this type of set. It's very simple and makes a lot of sense when you stop to think about it. A little new snow or wind makes it even better.

I just found two old scanned pictures I took of the final steps of the process. The image on the left a stick is pointed at the track under which the trap pan lays. The picture on the right is dusting the area over upon retreat.
[Linked Image]

That would work well for stable snow/temperature/humidity conditions.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7123256
01/06/21 11:59 AM
01/06/21 11:59 AM
W
waggler Online content
trapper
waggler  Online Content
trapper
W

^^^^^^
Yes, but not in the areas you and I trap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman