Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: ] #7123431
01/06/21 01:44 PM
01/06/21 01:44 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
broncoformudv Offline
trapper
broncoformudv  Offline
trapper

Anchorage, Alaska
Originally Posted by Oh Snap
Trapping in deep snow is all about the trap. The Alaskan #9 works good.
The best conditions though is when you get it in layers. I would make my sets as p posts close to a tree for tying off the trap. I would put 2 traps at each set each side of a spruce twig or brush and put urine on it.
I would walk around and when done sweep the area of tracks. Snow would usually cover everything up. Wrap wax paper under trap and under and leaving the loose jaw uncovered. Wad the wax paper so it is soft and quiet.
Another set was a trail set in the middle of my trail. Cut a trench from 0 to 2 inches deep in the center about 15 feet long. Place the trap in the center of the trench flush with the 2 inches below the trail. Wax paper it and you can drive over it all winter. Wolves will walk right down the impression. At least that was my experience.

I will have to try your trail set out. I never thought about making a trench like that.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7123555
01/06/21 03:29 PM
01/06/21 03:29 PM
Alaska Northwestern
That Fool Offline
trapper
That Fool  Offline
trapper

Alaska Northwestern
Most animals will be like humans and want to have an easy path to walk, I would bring snowshoes to pack down a trail around my sets and add traps to them. Lynx are pretty easy to catch in such a manner. I would make mounds for the animals to step on in the packed trails and will usually catch them. Some animals are smarter than others and will need to out smart them or let they get use to trails before setting. I have down that with wolves. Use trails and once they get use to using them then set snares or foot holds. Patience is key. Trail and error will be a good learning tool if you have the time. Try to make the least amount or errors though so the animals do not learn from your mistakes.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7123635
01/06/21 04:05 PM
01/06/21 04:05 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Different things work better in different places.
In my area, the canines HATE snowshoe tracks. I have seen their tracks come up to the side of the trail and then jump 8 feet away .They won't cross or use the trail. Snowmachine trail is acceptable to them.

In my area the worst thing you can do is leave tracks or any sign of disturbance at your set.

When I was trying to trap fox I would find a drift log on the river. Walk on the log out to the end. Make set there ,cover it as best you can and walk back on the log to the starting point.

The deeper the snow, the better IMO. A buried bait set in a couple feet of snow is weather proof! Dig a hole in the snow. Put bait in the bottom and cover with a couple inches of snow. Add a dash of lure and set the trap in on top of the bait. Cover with wax paper and fill the hole to the top. Smooth it off and wipe out any disturbance. Canine will come along and dig his way down right into the trap.

It works really well to make these sets during a storm

Mean As Nails
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: waggler] #7123748
01/06/21 05:07 PM
01/06/21 05:07 PM
49th State
M
mad_mike Online content
trapper
mad_mike  Online Content
trapper
M

49th State
Originally Posted by waggler
^^^^^^
Yes, but not in the areas you and I trap.

Exactly. Methods are sorted out by individuals over often years . I could not simply take my SE Ak methods to conditions similar to where akhowler traps and expect instant gratification, especially if not mentored in the particular area.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: white17] #7124027
01/06/21 07:50 PM
01/06/21 07:50 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
broncoformudv Offline
trapper
broncoformudv  Offline
trapper

Anchorage, Alaska
Originally Posted by white17
In my area, the canines HATE snowshoe tracks. I have seen their tracks come up to the side of the trail and then jump 8 feet away .They won't cross or use the trail. Snowmachine trail is acceptable to them.

In my area the worst thing you can do is leave tracks or any sign of disturbance at your set.

When I was trying to trap fox I would find a drift log on the river. Walk on the log out to the end. Make set there ,cover it as best you can and walk back on the log to the starting point.

The deeper the snow, the better IMO. A buried bait set in a couple feet of snow is weather proof! Dig a hole in the snow. Put bait in the bottom and cover with a couple inches of snow. Add a dash of lure and set the trap in on top of the bait. Cover with wax paper and fill the hole to the top. Smooth it off and wipe out any disturbance. Canine will come along and dig his way down right into the trap.

I like those two set ideas white17. Both will work in my area, so I will give them a try this next check.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: ] #7124236
01/06/21 09:14 PM
01/06/21 09:14 PM
AK
bfisch Offline
trapper
bfisch  Offline
trapper

AK
The best conditions though is when you get it in layers. I would make my sets as p posts close to a tree for tying off the trap. I would put 2 traps at each set each side of a spruce twig or brush and put urine on it.
I would walk around and when done sweep the area of tracks. Snow would usually cover everything up. Wrap wax paper under trap and under and leaving the loose jaw uncovered. Wad the wax paper so it is soft and quiet.
Another set was a trail set in the middle of my trail. Cut a trench from 0 to 2 inches deep in the center about 15 feet long. Place the trap in the center of the trench flush with the 2 inches below the trail. Wax paper it and you can drive over it all winter. Wolves will walk right down the impression. At least that was my experience.

I like the trench idea! I have set traps in my trail but never in a trench. I think I will make this set next time I go out.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: broncoformudv] #7124310
01/06/21 09:38 PM
01/06/21 09:38 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by broncoformudv

I like those two set ideas white17. Both will work in my area, so I will give them a try this next check.

I should point out that I am talking about a finished set where the trap and bait are a foot or more below the surface. 18-24 inches is nice. I tie off to either a drift log or a stump/drag.

You will notice that as you dig down the snow texture becomes granular like rock salt. This is a good thing. That type of snow will not set up like concrete when you disturb it. I usually used a victor #3 but an MB550 or maybe 450 should work fine

Mean As Nails
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: bfisch] #7124326
01/06/21 09:44 PM
01/06/21 09:44 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by bfisch

I like the trench idea! I have set traps in my trail but never in a trench. I think I will make this set next time I go out.

It's pretty handy if you already have a trail to stop a ways back from where you want your trap. Walk forward in the trail and make your set....I even bury my drag in the trail at the same time. Walk back to the machine and drive forward wiping out your tracks and all disturbance

Mean As Nails
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: white17] #7124461
01/06/21 10:35 PM
01/06/21 10:35 PM
AK
bfisch Offline
trapper
bfisch  Offline
trapper

AK

It's pretty handy if you already have a trail to stop a ways back from where you want your trap. Walk forward in the trail and make your set....I even bury my drag in the trail at the same time. Walk back to the machine and drive forward wiping out your tracks and all disturbance

Yes, that is the technique I have used when setting the trap in my trails. I will also try burying the drag this time. Thanks!

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: waggler] #7128445
01/09/21 04:54 PM
01/09/21 04:54 PM
Fairbanks AK
Aknative Offline
trapper
Aknative  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks AK
Originally Posted by waggler
I will try to describe how they set foothold traps and foot snares in the snow in Sweden and Russia. I watched it done with a foot snare while in Sweden one January, and a Russian friend of mine showed me how they do it in Siberia with footholds.

I have never seen this method used or described here in North America.

Both my Russian and Swedish friend told me that when an animal such as a fox or presumably a coyote goes through the snow they will step in the same hole in the snow (track) that they stepped in the last time they came down the same trail.

The trapper selects an area along the animal's trail where he wants to set the trap. He then approaches the animal's trail from a right angle preferably from behind or alongside a tree or bush. Starting maybe 16 inches away from a particular footprint the trapper carefully scoops out a hole in the snow maybe a foot square with a wooden paddle type of tool made for the purpose; the snow is set aside for filling the hole latter.

Once the hole is dug, then the trapper uses the paddle to slice under the snow a few inch towards the footprint until he come right under the footprint at the level where the animals foot cam to a rest. The paddle is then wiggled side to side a bit in order to excavate a place for the trap to set, the trap is slid into position so that the pan is directly where the animals foot will come down the next time it steps in it's old track.

The trap chain is buried back towards where the trapper is standing along with the drag. The paddle is then used to fill the hole back in that was originally made, and as the trapper backs away he uses a large feather duster to smooth everything off as well as uses the paddle and duster to fill in his boot tracks. No scent or anything else is used that may cause the animal to alter it's original course.

I wish I had a video of this type of set. It's very simple and makes a lot of sense when you stop to think about it. A little new snow or wind makes it even better.

I just found two old scanned pictures I took of the final steps of the process. The image on the top a stick is pointed at the track under which the trap pan lays. The picture on the bottom is dusting the area over upon retreat. Notice in the picture the trapper is standing on the edge of a road where the animal crosses, an easy place to disguise your presence from the animal.
[Linked Image]

Man, I have tried and failed to do just that. Like dating worked out with my wonderful wife, I may have to keep trying it because eventually it might work for me.

Rumors of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated.
Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: HFT AK] #7129173
01/09/21 11:22 PM
01/09/21 11:22 PM
NY
E
Elitebowman Offline
trapper
Elitebowman  Offline
trapper
E

NY
That would be great to see a video of that. Sounds hard working off a sled. I need to do that from a jet sled for coyotes. They smell where I walk and stay back. I brush tracks too. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Best way to trap with footholds in snow [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7129192
01/09/21 11:32 PM
01/09/21 11:32 PM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
If you have never seen it used here you haven't ever seen Herb Lennon's video. I just mAde my version of the set today. In a place where cable isn't allowed it is as good a set as yo can make in deep.snow.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman