No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Bob] #7156862
01/27/21 05:51 AM
01/27/21 05:51 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Bob
I see a lot of closed minds here. Electric is the future, wether you like it or not. Making the federal fleet electric is a good step toward pushing through the infrastructure, as well as giving engineers and scientist more incentive to innovate. Just because in your tiny little world view you can’t imagine it being possible, doesn’t mean we can’t make it possible. I suppose all of you who are finding fault with electric vehicles all have electrical engineering doctorates? Chemistry doctorates? You’ve designed, manufactured, and tested all of the different types of electric charging stations, batteries, and power generators like solar, wind, water, etc?

There are people who have studied this stuff intensely for decades whose full time job is to make it viable. It becomes more and more viable every year. Im 100% pro green power, having been an oilfield worker for a decade I would really like to see us advance past our dependency on fossil fuels. We will never get completely away from fossil fuels, but the less we can use the better.

You all gotta stop being afraid of change and embrace it, cause it’s comin wether you want it or not. You can grow with the world or die mad about it and the world will grow without you.

Wow. Please don’t post anymore on my threads.

-Goofy-
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7156896
01/27/21 07:11 AM
01/27/21 07:11 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Electric is great as long as the "free" market is allowed to do it. If people want them, fine. The alternative (and the reality) is government subsidizing the whole shebang and telling us we must go along for our own good.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7156913
01/27/21 07:39 AM
01/27/21 07:39 AM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Offline
trapper
Blaine County  Offline
trapper

2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
I don't want an electric vehicle. But that doesn't matter much.

What matters when analyzing economics, politics and society in general is what other people want.

Electric vehicles are gaining momentum on all three fronts. And, I don't see it stopping whether you or I like it or not.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7156922
01/27/21 07:52 AM
01/27/21 07:52 AM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Online content
trapper
8117 Steve R  Online Content
trapper

Wisconsin
If electric vehicles are gaining popularity, let the free market system work. If those vehicles and the infrastructure supporting them become viable then change gradually. Don’t require taxpayers to foot the Bill for upgrading GOVs before its prudent just to appease the greenies. This will be a huge boondoggle and taxpayers will be left holding the bag.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7156955
01/27/21 08:25 AM
01/27/21 08:25 AM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
I see a lot of closed minds here. Electric is the future, wether you like it or not. Making the federal fleet electric is a good step toward pushing through the infrastructure, as well as giving engineers and scientist more incentive to innovate. Just because in your tiny little world view you can’t imagine it being possible, doesn’t mean we can’t make it possible. I suppose all of you who are finding fault with electric vehicles all have electrical engineering doctorates? Chemistry doctorates? You’ve designed, manufactured, and tested all of the different types of electric charging stations, batteries, and power generators like solar, wind, water, etc?

There are people who have studied this stuff intensely for decades whose full time job is to make it viable. It becomes more and more viable every year. Im 100% pro green power, having been an oilfield worker for a decade I would really like to see us advance past our dependency on fossil fuels. We will never get completely away from fossil fuels, but the less we can use the better.

You all gotta stop being afraid of change and embrace it, cause it’s comin wether you want it or not. You can grow with the world or die mad about it and the world will grow without you.

I'm with you Bob. Time marches on and everything changes. We can change too or get left behind. Currently I am an owner of a couple gas powered trucks. I don't believe my grandkids will be. Until I have a better option I'll stick with them, but the better option is indeed coming. I realize it's a much smaller scale but over half the vehicles bought in Norway last year were electric. The number is growing, everywhere.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7156973
01/27/21 08:38 AM
01/27/21 08:38 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I remember when LP fueled engines were going to save the world. How many gas stations are around that fill them now? If the government builds the infrastructure to charge the EV fleets it could well be the the opening for the WHO needs to advance. I would bet there will be a lot of openings in EMP research.

The government should NOT be in the business of dictating what fuel to run. Look at the fiasco they have made pushing wind power. Research shouldn't be putting all our eggs into one basket. Thorium generation is an area being ignored IMO. They had working models but weren't getting the results they wanted so it was abandoned. They can even be made to use the spent fuel we are burying now.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7156988
01/27/21 08:51 AM
01/27/21 08:51 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
The development of high efficiency rotary engines that run on hydrogen would end this issue. That is probably why there is not a huge effort in development. Politicians need problems to push solutions so by nature they don't really want a viable solution. Hydrogen is easy to produce and inexhaustible. Now it does take quite a bit of energy to produce however, a few more nuclear plants and research into efficient technology would solve that problem. Hydrogen would be much like gasoline. You could stop and fill up when needed in a couple minutes instead of hours like electric. Much less infrastructure would also be needed. Tanks and pumps that could be put in every existing gas station much easier than all of the infrastructure you would need for electric charging stations. Hydrogen could pretty much take over as the main fuel source in a few decades. Trouble is that's a solution and politicians don't want solutions.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7156997
01/27/21 09:03 AM
01/27/21 09:03 AM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

While we are riding around in death trap electric cars China will still be building more tanks and air craft carriers but keep smoking pixie dust and thinking one day we'll all be living in rainbows and fruit loop cereal commercials.

Not exactly sure what electric vehicle they think is going to pull heavy trailers or even four wheelers around.

Like Solyndra, i image some of Bidens money launderer's suddenly are the owners of electric cars batterys or some start up company in need of gov. funding. Basically same deal as when Obama was in office, a few get filthy rich while millions suffer, that's the communist way though right?

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Jtrapper] #7157004
01/27/21 09:13 AM
01/27/21 09:13 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Jtrapper
While we are riding around in death trap electric cars China will still be building more tanks and air craft carriers but keep smoking pixie dust and thinking one day we'll all be living in rainbows and fruit loop cereal commercials.

Not exactly sure what electric vehicle they think is going to pull heavy trailers or even four wheelers around.

Like Solyndra, i image some of Bidens money launderer's suddenly are the owners of electric cars batterys or some start up company in need of gov. funding. Basically same deal as when Obama was in office, a few get filthy rich while millions suffer, that's the communist way though right?

Yup, if there is anyone that is going to benefit from the Biden presidency it's going to be Biden. One thing is for sure, the very last people to benefit will be the American people. We just get to pay the bills.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157035
01/27/21 09:39 AM
01/27/21 09:39 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Online content
trapper
white marlin  Online Content
trapper
W

if it was such a [darn] good idea, they wouldn't have to FORCE it on us.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157044
01/27/21 09:46 AM
01/27/21 09:46 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
50 years ago, everything was points ignition and carbs. Electronic ignition came around,and everyone said it was crap, and some of it was, but now everything has it. Now ignition systems don't even have any moving parts. Emissions systems came out, and they were garbage, shops used to advertise that they remove emissions devices. Now everything has it, and you can't even tell. Lots of cars don't actually have an egr valve anymore, it's done through variable cam timing. Fuel injection came out, and mechanics that it was garbage, that it was super hard to work on, but now you wouldn't have it any other way. It's efficient, lasts forever, and there's no fiddling with it.

Gasoline engines are the best thing going right now, but technology advances. 50 years from now, gasoline engines will look as ancient and archaic as points and distributors and carbs do now. They'll still be around, but it'll be old technology.

Last edited by loosegoose; 01/27/21 09:47 AM.
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: loosegoose] #7157050
01/27/21 09:51 AM
01/27/21 09:51 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by loosegoose
50 years ago, everything was points ignition and carbs. Electronic ignition came around,and everyone said it was crap, and some of it was, but now everything has it. Now ignition systems don't even have any moving parts. Emissions systems came out, and they were garbage, shops used to advertise that they remove emissions devices. Now everything has it, and you can't even tell. Lots of cars don't actually have an egr valve anymore, it's done through variable cam timing. Fuel injection came out, and mechanics that it was garbage, that it was super hard to work on, but now you wouldn't have it any other way. It's efficient, lasts forever, and there's no fiddling with it.

Gasoline engines are the best thing going right now, but technology advances. 50 years from now, gasoline engines will look as ancient and archaic as points and distributors and carbs do now. They'll still be around, but it'll be old technology.

It's still CRAP it's just that people have been forced to use it. Give me points and a carb any day. The worst thing ever put in a car was electronics. If a car with points and a carb isn't running, there are three things it can be. If your new car isn't running, good luck fixing it without a PHD in electronics. Emission control is also CRAP! Cars run much better without it. You have just been brainwashed over the years to think these things are great.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157051
01/27/21 09:52 AM
01/27/21 09:52 AM
W
trapper
trapper
W

so, let it evolve...the market will decide "when" it's time to change.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157053
01/27/21 09:53 AM
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

And in the 60's everyone thought we would be flying around in flying cars like the Jetson's by now. Now everything has sensor's from one end to the other and shade tree do it yourself mechanic's is out the window. Have to go a 'certified dealership' to have anything done at 175.00 an hour or more!

IF the technology works people would buy it, not have to be FORCED into it whether it works or not. But i guess we no longer like a free market system, easier to get behind a communist rule system and let our leaders decide what we need and don't need.

Is incredible to me how gullible outdoorsmen are, i expect from the sandal wearing San Fransisco crowd but didn't know we had climate change loving trappers, may as well join the humane society too while your at it, is all the same bunch. One group telling another group what they can and can't do based on what they think everyone should do.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157054
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
Just more Gov. mandates, cause they know better.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157058
01/27/21 09:57 AM
01/27/21 09:57 AM
W
trapper
trapper
W

.gov schools have been INCREDIBLY effective at indoctrination.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Jtrapper] #7157061
01/27/21 09:59 AM
01/27/21 09:59 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Originally Posted by Jtrapper
And in the 60's everyone thought we would be flying around in flying cars like the Jetson's by now. Now everything has sensor's from one end to the other and shade tree do it yourself mechanic's is out the window. Have to go a 'certified dealership' to have anything done at 175.00 an hour or more!

IF the technology works people would buy it, not have to be FORCED into it whether it works or not. But i guess we no longer like a free market system, easier to get behind a communist rule system and let our leaders decide what we need and don't need.

Is incredible to me how gullible outdoorsmen are, i expect from the sandal wearing San Fransisco crowd but didn't know we had climate change loving trappers, may as well join the humane society too while your at it, is all the same bunch. One group telling another group what they can and can't do based on what they think everyone should do.

Now there's a true statement if I've ever seen one.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157064
01/27/21 10:00 AM
01/27/21 10:00 AM
Michigan
G
Garryowen Offline
trapper
Garryowen  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
How are they ever going to charge all those cars? Here in the summer the lights won't hardly come on now.

Garryowen

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157065
01/27/21 10:01 AM
01/27/21 10:01 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by loosegoose

It's still CRAP it's just that people have been forced to use it. Give me points and a carb any day. The worst thing ever put in a car was electronics. If a car with points and a carb isn't running, there are three things it can be. If your new car isn't running, good luck fixing it without a PHD in electronics. Emission control is also CRAP! Cars run much better without it. You have just been brainwashed over the years to think these things are great.

Im an auto mechanic by trade. I don't have a phd in electronics, though. You don't know what you're talking about. Cars are really much simpler now. Tune up now=spark plugs and air filter. A lot of spark plugs come pre gapped even, and last 100k miles. Back in the 60s a tuneup was replacing the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, points, and condensor, setting timing and dwell, rebuilding the carb, setting float level, setting idle mixture, set high idle and curb idle, adjust choke pulloff and linkage, blah blah blah. If any off it was off the car ran like crap. Now the computer can adjust and you don't even know. I guarantee that if your emissions devices make your car run poorly, they're not working right. If they are, you won't know they're working.

Newer cars are better than older stuff in pretty much every way except style. Newer vehicles are more efficient, safer, to faster, turn better, stop better, and last longer than old vehicles. The average 4 cylinder or V6 econobox makes almost the same power and will last longer than a V8 from the 70s, and it'll last a lot longer, too, with a lot less maintenance.

Last edited by loosegoose; 01/27/21 10:05 AM.
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157067
01/27/21 10:04 AM
01/27/21 10:04 AM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.
Just like pickup trucks these days. Used to be that a pickup was a work horse used to haul, tow and build things. They were the working mans workhorse Now they are a fashion statement. 4&6' beds, A/C, leather interiors, automatic everything, heated seats, might as well come with a frou-frou pillow and a pink dress. They turned a pickup truck into a yuppy homo mobile.

Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread