No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 22 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 21 22
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Foxpaw] #7157143
01/27/21 10:57 AM
01/27/21 10:57 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by Foxpaw

My sister had a girl for a room mate at nursing school. Her dad lived about 10 mi from here. When tractors first came out no body wanted their mules that ate year round any more. The old man saw a money making plan to buy up all the mules for cheap, because he was quite sure the tractor thing would flop in short order and everyone would go back to mules. Well after he got vested the mules ate the farm. The trees in his woods was stripped as high as the mules could reach and before the humane society even had a name, they gave him the option to skin them or else.

Was wondering where this story was heading after that first sentence, but it ultimately led to the making of a great song, Mule Skinner Blues! grin

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157146
01/27/21 11:00 AM
01/27/21 11:00 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by loosegoose

What you described there is "parts changer" behavior, and it's what the worst of the worst in

A code is just a clue. Even the simplest of codes don't give you a direct part to replace. You have to look at streaming data, perform tests, both computer and electrical, inspect, measure etc etc. There is NEVER a reason you shouldn't be 100% sure of your diagnosis. If you aren't 100% sure of your diag, you're just a parts changer, not a technician.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to get out of bed in the morning is just fine.

Lol okay, parts changer wink

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: loosegoose] #7157153
01/27/21 11:04 AM
01/27/21 11:04 AM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Maybe if have time at work soon, I'll "bug" car,purposely create a problem,and show hat goes on in a real diag, not just a parts changer "let's throw something at it and hope it works" thing.

Hypothetical 50 / 50 question / scenario. With the old cars, if I needed a part, or even a whole car, I could go to a junkyard and get one and build it back if necessary. With the new cars, I don't know if I could do the same for a elect. module or such and all the extra components to go with it. So it's an advantage IMO to have the knowledge and "hands on" experience maybe for both? I once had to wait 2 months for a module to come from a 3rd party factory because the dealership's main distributor didn't have, or couldn't get it. :-(

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157155
01/27/21 11:06 AM
01/27/21 11:06 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa

Im an auto mechanic by trade. I don't have a phd in electronics, though. You don't know what you're talking about. Cars are really much simpler now. Tune up now=spark plugs and air filter. A lot of spark plugs come pre gapped even, and last 100k miles. Back in the 60s a tuneup was replacing the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, points, and condensor, setting timing and dwell, rebuilding the carb, setting float level, setting idle mixture, set high idle and curb idle, adjust choke pulloff and linkage, blah blah blah. If any off it was off the car ran like crap. Now the computer can adjust and you don't even know. I guarantee that if your emissions devices make your car run poorly, they're not working right. If they are, you won't know they're working.

Newer cars are better than older stuff in pretty much every way except style. Newer vehicles are more efficient, safer, to faster, turn better, stop better, and last longer than old vehicles. The average 4 cylinder or V6 econobox makes almost the same power and will last longer than a V8 from the 70s, and it'll last a lot longer, too, with a lot less maintenance.
I grew up as an auto mechanic in my fathers garage. I know exactly what I'm talking about. However, I'm glad they dumbed down general maintenance so you can have a job.

Computers were the ruination of vehicles.

About the only good that came from them was eliminating the choke. Other than that, complete waste of time and space..

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: SJA] #7157169
01/27/21 11:17 AM
01/27/21 11:17 AM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by SJA
Maybe if have time at work soon, I'll "bug" car,purposely create a problem,and show hat goes on in a real diag, not just a parts changer "let's throw something at it and hope it works" thing.

Hypothetical 50 / 50 question / scenario. With the old cars, if I needed a part, or even a whole car, I could go to a junkyard and get one and build it back if necessary. With the new cars, I don't know if I could do the same for a elect. module or such and all the extra components to go with it. So it's an advantage IMO to have the knowledge and "hands on" experience maybe for both? I once had to wait 2 months for a module to come from a 3rd party factory because the dealership's main distributor didn't have, or couldn't get it. :-(

I think dealerships are required to have stuff available for 10-12 years, for warranty reasons. Doesn't mean they'll have it in stock, but they should be able to get it. Sometimes older stuff is hard to come by, but *most* vehicles should have stuff available aftermarket, and if not,I wouldn't be afraid to use a junkyard part as a last resort. Most vehicles go to the junkyard for reasons besides something like a blown up engine,and most of the parts are still good on junkyard cars.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157179
01/27/21 11:25 AM
01/27/21 11:25 AM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Believe it or not, this was for a 1999 F250 and the issue occurred in 2015 as I recall. Just one of those little inconveniences in life :-)

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157227
01/27/21 12:12 PM
01/27/21 12:12 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
All the energy needed to move current vehicles from A to B has to shift from the fossil fuel network to electric grid. Gas stations don't need lines to have the liquid energy available. Imagine the infrastructure to supply electric vehicles.
Assuming the day is coming where we are all electric, where will all the old gas/diesels be parked? Scrap? More junk yards?
Some places on this continent will just be left out of the transportation network I would think.
Boco, is your name on the list for the first electric skidoo?

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: martentrapper] #7157230
01/27/21 12:14 PM
01/27/21 12:14 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by martentrapper
All the energy needed to move current vehicles from A to B has to shift from the fossil fuel network to electric grid. Gas stations don't need lines to have the liquid energy available. Imagine the infrastructure to supply electric vehicles.
Assuming the day is coming where we are all electric, where will all the old gas/diesels be parked? Scrap? More junk yards?
Some places on this continent will just be left out of the transportation network I would think.

He will have to beat gibb to the dealer. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157234
01/27/21 12:18 PM
01/27/21 12:18 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Biodiesel converter kits will be a wise investment then! . . . I have a bud who's been doing it for 8 years now. Has tanks of veggie oil everywhere in his shop laugh

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157235
01/27/21 12:19 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
What a freak show. The good news is that anyone will be able to outrun any federal law enforcement. Just buy a moped and keep driving until their battery's run out. I think on average it's about 50 miles. What a joke.

Joe Biden Signs Executive Order to Make All Federal Vehicles Electric

President Joe Biden signed an executive order Monday to phase out the federal government’s use of vehicles that run on gas and replace them with ones that run on electricity.
The process is part of Biden’s “Made in America” executive order, which the president claims will create one million additional jobs in the auto industry in America.

“The federal government also owns an enormous fleet of vehicles, which we’re going to replace with clean electric vehicles made right here in America, by American workers,” Biden told reporters during a briefing Monday announcing his “Buy American” executive order.

But replacing an entire federal fleet of hundreds of thousands of vehicles could be a massive undertaking. TechCrunch reported that, in 2019, the federal fleet comprised of more than 645,000 vehicles, including more than 412,000 trucks and 224,000 passenger cars.

That does not even begin to include the hundreds of thousands of U.S. Post Office vehicles powered by gas, the Verge reported.

Many existing federal vehicles on the road are tied to leases, which could halt the process of transferring them to electric.

There is also the issue of making sure electric vehicles have enough charging stations to provide them with enough power to function.

Automakers likely to supply the country with these electric vehicles include Ford and General Motors, companies that have both said they would commit to spending billions on electric vehicles.

Source: https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2021...rder-make-all-federal-vehicles-electric/

I guess this has to happen for them to find out electric vehicles won't work, especially in the colder climates like where we live. But, what a waste of taxpayer money to learn that. It's one step closer to making America a second class nation.

Must be nice to eat ice cream as fast as you want and not have to worry about brain freeze.
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: martentrapper] #7157236
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by martentrapper

Yeah, we're nowhere near to the point where electric vehicles will be the good thing they're made up to be. It'll get there eventually, just not yet. Maybe 50 years from now. Think of how it was when cars first came out.....gas stations weren't exactly easy to find,and if you needed a part, you might have to have a blacksmith make it for you.
But 50 years after cars came out, American Life practically revolved around the car, and the freedom it brings. 50 years from now it *might* be the same with electric cars. Charging stations could be everywhere and it'll only take minutes to refill, like it does currently with gasoline.

There's still a lot to figure out before electric cars can come close to replacing has cars, though....electrical grid, battery technology, charging stations, etc. We'll get there eventually, but forcing it through EO won't make it happen any faster.

Last edited by loosegoose; 01/27/21 12:20 PM.
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157237
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Yes,I will move to better equipment as it is developed.
The new machines right now are exponentially better than the old ones I grew up on.
The future machines will no doubt be awesome.
Dirt still rides a horse and runs behind a dog team,lol.
I think he did progress to a fur sewing machine to save his thumb.

Last edited by Boco; 01/27/21 12:22 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: SJA] #7157242
01/27/21 12:24 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by SJA
Biodiesel converter kits will be a wise investment then! . . . I have a bud who's been doing it for 8 years now. Has tanks of veggie oil everywhere in his shop laugh

Perhaps coon fat will be the green energy of the future.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157243
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Online content
trapper
white marlin  Online Content
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
it'll be great when they have charging stations at the far end of your registered line, won't it?

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: walleye101] #7157245
01/27/21 12:26 PM
01/27/21 12:26 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by SJA

Perhaps coon fat will be the green energy of the future.

Then there's a ++ for trappers! :-)

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157256
01/27/21 12:38 PM
01/27/21 12:38 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
A persons perspective on new technology depends on where you fit in the market. Those who buy new seem to be sucked in by bells and whistles. I shake my head watching truck commercials comparing tailgate configurations. Some fold down into a staircase, open sideways, or open/close automatically. I watch and wonder how well that gimmic will work after a couple years of hard use. Being in the usedabit market I am more interested in longevity, durability, and reliability that comes with simplicity. I like a tailgate that hasn't automatically locked when I try to get it open, and on some of my older trucks, one that opens and closes without falling off.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: walleye101] #7157261
01/27/21 12:43 PM
01/27/21 12:43 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
A persons perspective on new technology depends on where you fit in the market. Those who buy new seem to be sucked in by bells and whistles. I shake my head watching truck commercials comparing tailgate configurations. Some fold down into a staircase, open sideways, or open/close automatically. I watch and wonder how well that gimmic will work after a couple years of hard use. Being in the usedabit market I am more interested in longevity, durability, and reliability that comes with simplicity. I like a tailgate that hasn't automatically locked when I try to get it open, and on some of my older trucks, one that opens and closes without falling off.

The new tailgates suck. Drop something heavy on it and the top rail a little, and that fancy ladder/step isn't coming out anymore.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: walleye101] #7157266
01/27/21 12:45 PM
01/27/21 12:45 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware

I'll admit that I don't use the tailgate fold down steps often, but they're nice when I need to get in the truck bed. . . . it's an old age thingy ya know. grin

Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: SJA] #7157277
01/27/21 12:52 PM
01/27/21 12:52 PM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN
Originally Posted by SJA

I'll admit that I don't use the tailgate fold down steps often, but they're nice when I need to get in the truck bed. . . . it's an old age thingy ya know. grin

All the new gadgets are kinda nice when they still work, thats my point.
Nice when the tire monitor system tells you your tire pressure, but sure sucks as the sensors go bad and you always have the tire light flashing on the dashboard.

Re: Executive Order Make All Federal Vehicles Electric [Re: Finster] #7157281
01/27/21 12:53 PM
01/27/21 12:53 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
I'll agree with that :-)

Dr. Phillip Snow