Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Trouble Finding Mink Sign / Track ID #7157419
01/27/21 02:47 PM
01/27/21 02:47 PM
Arkansas
K
kbuck Offline OP
trapper
kbuck  Offline OP
trapper
K

Arkansas
Hey folks,

This is my first season trapping and one of my goals is to catch a mink. My understanding is that the area I live in does not produce a lot of mink, so I'm really trying to take "set on sign" to heart. The problem is, I can't seem to find much sign. I'm scouring local streambanks for tracks and checking elevated surfaces along water routes for scat, but I'm coming up pretty empty-handed.

This morning I found two tracks in the mud near a spot that would make for a textbook bottom edge set- the issue is, I can't tell if they're mink or skunk. I'd appreciate any help y'all can offer finding sign or ID'ing these tracks.

Track1.JPGTrack2.JPG
Re: Trouble Finding Mink Sign / Track ID [Re: kbuck] #7157442
01/27/21 03:00 PM
01/27/21 03:00 PM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan
Check your mailbox

Re: Trouble Finding Mink Sign / Track ID [Re: kbuck] #7157445
01/27/21 03:01 PM
01/27/21 03:01 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Muskrat

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Trouble Finding Mink Sign / Track ID [Re: kbuck] #7158334
01/28/21 07:03 AM
01/28/21 07:03 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Scat isn’t always easy to find. Mink tracks are small and the toes are usually spread out like a star. Once you see them, you’ll remember em.

A good time to look for tracks is when the water comes up then drops. The flooding deposits sediment that allows tracks to show up where they normally wouldn’t.

Also, when you find tracks somewhere that you’re trapping or wondering what comes through, wipe them away. When you return, the new tracks will give you more information.

Don’t ever forget about the high ground. Mink spend a lot of time high and dry in grassy tunnels. Tall, dead grass can be goldmines for mink, and you’d never know if if you relied on tracks alone for locating mink.

Minktrapping.com has a lot of mink resources.

Good luck

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91