No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bernie's Book [Re: 41cal] #7167716
02/03/21 04:31 PM
02/03/21 04:31 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by 41cal
Bernie made the fish stick set famous, Just like EJ Dailey made the dirthole famous grin grin

Bernie, would you share what the significant improvement was?

The one I was shown had a 4-inch bar welded across 4 inches down from the top. I was using a fist-sized chunk of carp for bait. I found that coons could fairly easily pull that hunk of fish off the top of the stake and some got away with it without getting in the foothold. Another issue with it was that trap chains and sometimes the trap itself would get wedged on that crosspiece. I lost some coons which pulled out once the trap was immobilized on the piece of rebar. My solution was to shorten the crosspiece to minimize tangling, and also to weld a large fence staple to the top which made it more difficult for the critters to pull the bait off the top. Turns out the first inclination of a coon when he found the bait was not to just eat it, but to get it to shore. I suppose that's partly instinct but also they were standing in really cold water. Also I began making them with smaller rod to lighten the weight. I also began to use two traps at each set versus one, which is what I had originally observed. I would place the two traps in various positions depending on the situation, and I found as I learned more about trap positioning, my catch rate went up. Those were the minor adjustments I made.

When I ran into Scott at a trapping convention, he showed me his version, and the lights went off in my head right away. He had welded a large washer a foot down on the rod. This made the rods longer, which was okay because normally you're pushing them into a sandy or muddy bottom so 40-48" of stake worked out fine. The washer eliminated the problem of chain and trap tangling altogether. Brilliant. The extra length of the rod on top made it very difficult for the coons to just lift the bait over the top of the stake. In fact, in most situations, they just couldn't reach up that high. So they had to stand there and work the fish, chew on it or whatever. Another increase in catch rate. Plus, another advantage was the extra length on top made it easier to conceal the bait with a few twists of long grass, which minimized bird interference. I quickly switched over to Scott's method of building the fish stick stake.

Re: Bernie's Book [Re: HayDay] #7167801
02/03/21 05:56 PM
02/03/21 05:56 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
The only thing we could do to make this better is to ask who made or perfected the pipe dream set whistle

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Bernie's Book [Re: Leftlane] #7167846
02/03/21 06:19 PM
02/03/21 06:19 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by Leftlane
The only thing we could do to make this better is to ask who made or perfected the pipe dream set whistle

Who says it's been perfected????

Re: Bernie's Book [Re: HayDay] #7168043
02/03/21 08:35 PM
02/03/21 08:35 PM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline OP
trapper
HayDay  Offline OP
trapper
H

Missouri
BTW, I tend to be a visual learner. Picture is worth a thousand words and a video worth a thousand pictures and all that.

If you think the statute of limitations has run out on entanglements re: the FS set, and you get writers block on ideas for new videos..........I'd watch a video on the FS set. All the improvements you have mentioned.

Re: Bernie's Book [Re: BernieB.] #7168214
02/03/21 10:03 PM
02/03/21 10:03 PM
PA
41cal Offline
trapper
41cal  Offline
trapper

PA
Originally Posted by BernieB.
Originally Posted by 41cal
Bernie made the fish stick set famous, Just like EJ Dailey made the dirthole famous grin grin

Bernie, would you share what the significant improvement was?

The one I was shown had a 4-inch bar welded across 4 inches down from the top. I was using a fist-sized chunk of carp for bait. I found that coons could fairly easily pull that hunk of fish off the top of the stake and some got away with it without getting in the foothold. Another issue with it was that trap chains and sometimes the trap itself would get wedged on that crosspiece. I lost some coons which pulled out once the trap was immobilized on the piece of rebar. My solution was to shorten the crosspiece to minimize tangling, and also to weld a large fence staple to the top which made it more difficult for the critters to pull the bait off the top. Turns out the first inclination of a coon when he found the bait was not to just eat it, but to get it to shore. I suppose that's partly instinct but also they were standing in really cold water. Also I began making them with smaller rod to lighten the weight. I also began to use two traps at each set versus one, which is what I had originally observed. I would place the two traps in various positions depending on the situation, and I found as I learned more about trap positioning, my catch rate went up. Those were the minor adjustments I made.

When I ran into Scott at a trapping convention, he showed me his version, and the lights went off in my head right away. He had welded a large washer a foot down on the rod. This made the rods longer, which was okay because normally you're pushing them into a sandy or muddy bottom so 40-48" of stake worked out fine. The washer eliminated the problem of chain and trap tangling altogether. Brilliant. The extra length of the rod on top made it very difficult for the coons to just lift the bait over the top of the stake. In fact, in most situations, they just couldn't reach up that high. So they had to stand there and work the fish, chew on it or whatever. Another increase in catch rate. Plus, another advantage was the extra length on top made it easier to conceal the bait with a few twists of long grass, which minimized bird interference. I quickly switched over to Scott's method of building the fish stick stake.

Thank you for the information

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread