Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Fleshing coons #7168498
02/04/21 01:12 AM
02/04/21 01:12 AM
CO/KS
S
sevensixtwo Offline OP
trapper
sevensixtwo  Offline OP
trapper
S

CO/KS
Hey I'm new to this and wondering whats going on with the two coons on the right? They were a couple of the first ones ive done. The one on the left is my most recent.
[Linked Image]

Also any tips? Ive been attempting to get as much flesh of the face as I can also although ive watched videos where other people dont.

Re: Fleshing coons [Re: sevensixtwo] #7168818
02/04/21 11:00 AM
02/04/21 11:00 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The 2 coon on the right are early coon. They still have blood In the hair follicles (roots) and that's wast gives them that color. The third coon from the right Is very close to being fully prime. And as yo can see the far left coon has reached full primness.

Your fleshing job Is perfect. I have put up coon professionally and I never scraped the faces.There just Isn't enough meat or gristle to worry about.

Turn those coon around and lets take a look at the belly side.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Fleshing coons [Re: sevensixtwo] #7168854
02/04/21 11:22 AM
02/04/21 11:22 AM
Houghton Lake, MI
strike2x Offline
trapper
strike2x  Offline
trapper

Houghton Lake, MI
[Linked Image]
Not to step on toes or hijack the thread but what would you say about this otter beav? I caught it yesterday, 2/3/2021. Have some from January that are not as dark but have some spotting. [Linked Image]
Second picture is caught 1/23/2021. I do t get why the first pictures otter is so black. Only been on board 12 hours.

Wish I had more time to trap....
Re: Fleshing coons [Re: The Beav] #7168903
02/04/21 12:02 PM
02/04/21 12:02 PM
CO/KS
S
sevensixtwo Offline OP
trapper
sevensixtwo  Offline OP
trapper
S

CO/KS
Originally Posted by The Beav
The 2 coon on the right are early coon. They still have blood In the hair follicles (roots) and that's wast gives them that color. The third coon from the right Is very close to being fully prime. And as yo can see the far left coon has reached full primness.

Your fleshing job Is perfect. I have put up coon professionally and I never scraped the faces.There just Isn't enough meat or gristle to worry about.

Same four just flipped around.[Linked Image]

Re: Fleshing coons [Re: sevensixtwo] #7168948
02/04/21 12:54 PM
02/04/21 12:54 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Hard to say on the otter but It sure looks like a lot of tick bites. But I've never seen a otter caught at this time of the year with that black color on the head. How was It caught could It have been due to trap trauma?

Re: Fleshing coons [Re: sevensixtwo] #7168959
02/04/21 01:05 PM
02/04/21 01:05 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by sevensixtwo
[quote=The Beav]The 2 coon on the right are early coon. They still have blood In the hair follicles (roots) and that's wast gives them that color. The third coon from the right Is very close to being fully prime. And as yo can see the far left coon has reached full primness.

Same four just flipped around.[Linked Image]

Not to bad.
Get the lower lip cut off all of them. them. And why did you leave the feet and the nut sac on that one coon they need to come off. And that same coon needs some more fleshing on the belly side and those front legs need to com off.

The windows look Ok except for that One. But you could spread the hind legs a bit more so you can open up that Inspection window.

It's hard to tell but those wedges should be shoved In so the wide part Is positioned In the head area. And when you hang those coon hang then nose down so all the grease drips off the nose. By doing that you won't have the grease building up on the skirt fur.

They should all look like the coon on the left but with the lip cut off and spread the legs a bit more. Other then that good job.

Was that one coon a roadkill ?

Re: Fleshing coons [Re: sevensixtwo] #7169229
02/04/21 05:05 PM
02/04/21 05:05 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Is it just me or are those boards way too sharp pointed to be raccoon boards? Head area looks more like fox boards. To the OP, how wide are the boards where the tails are?

Agree with the previous comments about the fleshing, lower lip and the odd ball with the feet, long front legs and no inspection window and leaving the face alone. But if this your first go, not a bad start at all.

Something no one else has mentioned, rather than pull the tail down, pull the sides down and pin the skirt straight across the board. Sizes are measured to the shortest point on the skirt so you probably lost some length. The following is from the NAFA Fur Handling manual but is the best illustration I could find of a properly boarded raccoon. Scroll down to page 6 to see how the raccoon skirt and tail are pinned out. Also notice how the nose area is more rounded.
NAFA Fur Handling

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Fleshing coons [Re: sevensixtwo] #7169275
02/04/21 05:44 PM
02/04/21 05:44 PM
CO/KS
S
sevensixtwo Offline OP
trapper
sevensixtwo  Offline OP
trapper
S

CO/KS
Thanks. I was experimenting with that one with the feet for possible future skinning for a full body taxidermy. The boards i bought online advertised as coon boards they are 7.25 at the bottom i think. From murrays and pcs. I got some larger ones also said for x large coons and they are an inch wider or something and longer.

I was looking at sending some dry ones somewhere to get a hat made or something. Cheaper than shipping a froze pelt. Any recommendations on that also in the way of prep?

Also got an ez100 tanning kit and a couple others.

Re: Fleshing coons [Re: sevensixtwo] #7169283
02/04/21 05:51 PM
02/04/21 05:51 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The nose could be a bit more blunt but It's not a big deal. 71/2" wide at 30" down from the nose Is the width you want on a coon board.

Re: Fleshing coons [Re: sevensixtwo] #7169327
02/04/21 06:35 PM
02/04/21 06:35 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
That more pointy nose probably makes them easier to get off the board.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread