No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Trapper apathy [Re: MNEric] #7189297
02/19/21 02:09 PM
02/19/21 02:09 PM
Owatonna,mn
C
Cibarius Offline
trapper
Cibarius  Offline
trapper
C

Owatonna,mn

Lobbyist is no longer shared. It is an election year for the BOD. Nominate your self[/quote]
These days I prefer to cut out the middleman and speak directly to my legislators. I relate it to the unions representing the pipeline workers. Lots of smooth talk and money. Now where are they?

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189302
02/19/21 02:16 PM
02/19/21 02:16 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
Speaking for myself, I would rather be out trapping than doing the hard work of helping an organization stay afloat. I am much happier having others fill that position but someday I will need to reconcile whether I did all I could when the attack comes.

In Oregon, New Mexico and maybe some others, that time is now. All states will be under attack in the not too distant future imho.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189310
02/19/21 02:22 PM
02/19/21 02:22 PM
Minnesota
MNEric Offline
trapper
MNEric  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
How are your local legislators feelings on trapping. I have talked with a lot as well and doesn’t seem to fall on party lines more so on urban and rural

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189319
02/19/21 02:30 PM
02/19/21 02:30 PM
MN
G
gary j Offline
trapper
gary j  Offline
trapper
G

MN
The best reason to join a trappers association, be it state or national, depending on your finances, is the amount of money needed to be generated to hire lobbyists to keep on top of bills trying to prevent trappers from losing more ground. I think generally the membership of the Minnesota Trappers Association has been roughly 1/3 of the number of licenses sold each year. Politics are always in any organization, but I think a lot of people use that as an excuse to let somebody else do their bidding when actually their are just too self-centered and cheap to spend a nickel of their own because it might benefit some other person (trapper). My two cents worth, life member MTA and NTA.
Gary J

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: gary j] #7189347
02/19/21 02:50 PM
02/19/21 02:50 PM
Minnesota
MNEric Offline
trapper
MNEric  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by gary j
The best reason to join a trappers association, be it state or national, depending on your finances, is the amount of money needed to be generated to hire lobbyists to keep on top of bills trying to prevent trappers from losing more ground. I think generally the membership of the Minnesota Trappers Association has been roughly 1/3 of the number of licenses sold each year. Politics are always in any organization, but I think a lot of people use that as an excuse to let somebody else do their bidding when actually their are just too self-centered and cheap to spend a nickel of their own because it might benefit some other person (trapper). My two cents worth, life member MTA and NTA.
Gary J

AMEN trapping brother

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189362
02/19/21 03:06 PM
02/19/21 03:06 PM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
I thought trapping associations just put on conventions and trappers ed.

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189389
02/19/21 03:44 PM
02/19/21 03:44 PM
Owatonna,mn
C
Cibarius Offline
trapper
Cibarius  Offline
trapper
C

Owatonna,mn
I have been involved with district 8. Yep, the MTA’s favorite district! Been generous with my time and money compared to most. Honesty and TRANSPARENCY are essential to people taking an association seriously. Not closed door meetings and whispers in the corner.

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189392
02/19/21 03:46 PM
02/19/21 03:46 PM
North Central Idaho
Jumperzee Offline
trapper
Jumperzee  Offline
trapper

North Central Idaho
Why join a State Association?

If it weren't for the ITA, we would have lost trapping or faced severe restrictions across most of the state as the result of a lawsuit a couple years back. The ITA spent a lot of money intervening in the lawsuit and the folks that fought the hardest would never have been affected by the outcome. There were only a couple hundred members at that time....

Since then our organization has grown to nearly 800 members across 20+ states. We're unified with the other sportsman's groups and have a lobbyist working on our behalf. When we propose changes to the regs, the state listens and works with us. We maintain good relationships with our elected officials and other state organizations (cattlemen, sheep, farm bureau, etc, etc). In this day and age, protecting your livelihood, hobby, heritage, interests, etc comes down to fighting to make your voice heard. The larger your coalition, the louder your voice. Pretty simple concept.

It's not a huge cost to be a member and not a lot of work to make your voice heard. If you have time to surf and post on Trapperman, you have time to comment to your State Association. It makes a difference and the funds help! If you don't like your leadership - change it! It's really disheartening to see folks complaining or apathetic - and even harder to hear about states with hardly any members facing ballot initiatives or organized anti-trapping campaigns. It doesn't take a lot of work to get organized and there's plenty of help available.

The NTA western this June in Glenn's Ferry will be a good chance for State Assn's to visit. The planning crew is looking at scheduling a "Summit" for the State groups to get together and discuss what's working, how to better work together. Don't wait until your faced with restrictions to do something.

Dirt - in my experience, new hobbies cost a lot of money to get started!

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189406
02/19/21 03:57 PM
02/19/21 03:57 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
The above post should be enshrined as to what us other states should aspire to. Great job Idaho!

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189411
02/19/21 04:01 PM
02/19/21 04:01 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Speaking for myself, I would rather be out trapping than doing the hard work of helping an organization stay afloat. I am much happier having others fill that position but someday I will need to reconcile whether I did all I could when the attack comes.

In Oregon, New Mexico and maybe some others, that time is now. All states will be under attack in the not too distant future imho.

Sounds like you are slowly being converted to a conservative.

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189420
02/19/21 04:06 PM
02/19/21 04:06 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
You guys hear me do nothing but (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) and moan about my state association but honestly I wish we had a state association that resembled the many bee associations I'm a member of and active in.

One thing I know as a club president is that my club is only as good as our last membership drive, only as good as the encouragement we give our new members, only as good as we are active in supporting and serving the membership.

This weekend I will be speaking in a breakout session at my state bee meeting, teaching. This meeting will have over 300 in attendance from all over the nation, via zoom. And has over 1000 members statewide.
I imagine beekeepers and trappers, both specialty pursuits, have similar numbers of participants yet I doubt our state trapping association has a tenth of those numbers.

Maybe its a holdover of the old days of Johnny Sneakum but we as trappers have to be willing to welcome newcomers with open arms. And there's a ton of newcomers out there. Maybe not the old crusty fur trapper types but trappers nonetheless. Welcome them into our ranks and associations or die.

[Linked Image]
Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189452
02/19/21 04:59 PM
02/19/21 04:59 PM
KY
I
ILcooner Offline
trapper
ILcooner  Offline
trapper
I

KY
IL TA

NTA

FTA

which one to join? It seems it would be better to have ONE with more influence and resources to get behind.

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: Jtrapper] #7189456
02/19/21 05:03 PM
02/19/21 05:03 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Society is divided and fragmented up as bad if not worse than before the civil war, church groups breaking up, even anti groups can't get along, why you have a bazillion different one's. Trappers no different as we as hunters. I was reading today on a deer hunting page a guy crying about them not being able to get along with one another and pretty much the same complaint ive heard trappers say for the past 40 years.

Oddly alot of times the hunters join force's with the anti's against trappers.

Problem with most trapping association's is they don't listen! Ego's get in the way of doing what's right and clique's spring up with this group against that group within the association, some run off and form their own group most just fade away back to their life, isn't like most of us already have enough problems in life, why volunteer for more?

Then some just never join ANYTHING for any reason.

Long as we continue to do the same ol thing we'll get the same ol result.

Is a way out of all this mess BUT it would require ego's be checked at the door, best idea's ran with, old idea's that haven't ever worked left by the wayside and a rebranding of who we are and what we do to attract major donor's not keep digging around in broke trapper's pockets for money.

Wake me up when all that happens.

J,
Their gonna howl at me for this post, but I like howling at the moon music, so oh well.

It has been theorized from some very deep thinkers that when this country tossed out the Bible as the source of Truth (late 1800's really was the landslide)
it absolutely opened the door wide open for everyone to decide their own truth.
And here we is today. grin

I am in that camp of how we got here. And we're not going back to anything normal or close to it, on the backs of human wisdom. Never. Mars, or no Mars.

It's pretty evident as we lament about our differences.
It even resides in this marvelous forum.
Each of us can be what we always wanted to be: The Boss.

Where does Truth come from anyway?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189460
02/19/21 05:07 PM
02/19/21 05:07 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

What does it hurt to spend a few raccoon hides and join more than one association?
It's not a money thing. People spend more on the weekend for R&R than supporting 5 associations for a year.
It's what YOU think is important to YOU.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189462
02/19/21 05:12 PM
02/19/21 05:12 PM
Northern Mn
rick olson Offline
trapper
rick olson  Offline
trapper

Northern Mn
We trapper's should support many associations,I'm MTA MN ,MTA Montana,ID,NTA and Fur Taker's.

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189478
02/19/21 05:35 PM
02/19/21 05:35 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I have always suspected that many people involved in the National organizations are in the trapline supply business?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Trapper apathy [Re: Dirt] #7189482
02/19/21 05:44 PM
02/19/21 05:44 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Dirt
I have always suspected that many people involved in the National organizations are in the trapline supply business?

???? Who?

Who would have time to do both?

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189486
02/19/21 05:57 PM
02/19/21 05:57 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak

Visit our Advertisers
Cumberland's Northwest Trappers
Fleming Traps
Funke Trap Tags
Fur Hat World
Fur Source
Glacier Wear
Hilltop Outdoor Supply
Kaatz Bros. Lures
Mark June Lures
Minnesota Trapline Products
Montgomery Trap & Supply
Murrays Lures
Northern Sport Trapping
Papio Creek Trapping Supply
Schmitt Enterprises
Sheepskin Town
Skandinivak Fur
Trappers World
Volkers Trapping Supplies
Wildlife Control Supplies
Moyle Mink & Tannery
F & T Trading Post

Who is John Galt?
Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189489
02/19/21 06:00 PM
02/19/21 06:00 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

What is your point Dirt? It's not obvious. It seemed you were saying people who own trapping businesses were board members of associations?

Re: Trapper apathy [Re: beaverpeeler] #7189506
02/19/21 06:30 PM
02/19/21 06:30 PM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
At one time a state org did not allow dealers to be O or D.
That did not last long as no one else would step up.
Pretty sure they are taking applications.
Even from those who resupply at conventions, who are not yet members.
Those chores are all gravy, step right up lol.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread