Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A couple questions about incidental catches [Re: drasselt] #7186528
02/17/21 04:06 PM
02/17/21 04:06 PM
fairbanks,ak.
isnarewolves Offline
trapper
isnarewolves  Offline
trapper

fairbanks,ak.
Originally Posted by drasselt
Originally Posted by isnarewolves
Scenario 2. The caribou is alive in your set. . 1. You can kill the caribou (note nothing in regulation state you have to do that). If you chose to do this then you must salvage it. You can gut a caribou and surrender it to ADF&G or troopers. Make sure all traps and snares are inactive with in 300 feet of the kill site before leaving. 2. The ethical portion. You can inactive all traps and snares with in 300 feet

This would be my last choice by far. Personally I would check with the troopers before I dropped the hammer. I believe there have been cases made in this scenario.

That is a choice you have to make, Noting in regulation states you can kill it, or you have to release it. It is your call. what will make you go to sleep that night? Not everyone can just call a trooper. I have had two experiences with putting moose down, that were alive. I salvaged both of them like i was going to eat them. Then when i was able to go back to town i surrender them to the trooper post. answered a few questions and i was on my way home. I would hope everyone could have the same experience with the troopers as i did.

Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid!
Re: A couple questions about incidental catches [Re: Bushwhack Jack] #7186568
02/17/21 04:30 PM
02/17/21 04:30 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
I had one step through with a front leg in the old days before moose-proof locks.

I got on the HF radio and contacted a guy with a phone. Had him call AST. They said salvage the critter and eat it. I am sure that was a decision based on geography rather than statute

Mean As Nails
Re: A couple questions about incidental catches [Re: Bushwhack Jack] #7186583
02/17/21 04:39 PM
02/17/21 04:39 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
broncoformudv Offline
trapper
broncoformudv  Offline
trapper

Anchorage, Alaska
nooksack thats a great technique! Much safer than what I did once upon a time.

Re: A couple questions about incidental catches [Re: nooksack] #7187089
02/17/21 09:54 PM
02/17/21 09:54 PM
AK
B
Bushwhack Jack Offline OP
trapper
Bushwhack Jack  Offline OP
trapper
B

AK
Originally Posted by nooksack
This picture is representative, I’m not home to take a pic of the actual rope. By splicing there is no knot to hang up when loosened. Plus the weight of the ring helps the loop fall faster. Before I added rings I had to track down a few ropes that hung on the hoof.
The loops don’t come loose until you untie them from the tree and the critter stands up. That’s why you want two legs tied on opposite ends of him. Keeps the critter secure while you remove the snare.

[Linked Image]

Gotcha, makes sense. I appreciate the advice and the picture works perfect. I totally understand what you are saying now.

Re: A couple questions about incidental catches [Re: Bushwhack Jack] #7191915
02/22/21 12:18 AM
02/22/21 12:18 AM
Interior Alaska
E
EurekaTrapper Offline
trapper
EurekaTrapper  Offline
trapper
E

Interior Alaska
I have heard that throwing a coat over their head will help calm them when you are cutting the snare. It might suck if they ran off with your coat though. I hope I never have to do the rodeo. Would mule tape be strong enough for the leg lassos?

"Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman