Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
possum hair removal #7197666
02/27/21 02:33 AM
02/27/21 02:33 AM
texas
T
Teresa Offline OP
trapper
Teresa  Offline OP
trapper
T

texas
I found this forum while researching the best way to tan lamb pelts, which I found the home tanning guide on here that I will be using in the next few days.

I got to thinking about all the possums and racoons we end up shooting around the house and chicken pens and what I could use them for. I read possum fur and skin were really nice and that the hair is spun with sheep wool(which I have plenty of).

What is the best way to get the hairs off of the possum skin that would leave the hide in good condition (I plan on tanning the hide after)?

Re: possum hair removal [Re: Teresa] #7197989
02/27/21 12:54 PM
02/27/21 12:54 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Lime soak will remove the hair and make scraping off the grain easier.
You will have to neutralize the leather before tanning after liming.
You might want to shave or shear off the hair if you want to use the hair/fur before liming the skin.
I dont have any experience with possums,I think the leather would be rather thin.
Coon should make a good tougher leather.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: possum hair removal [Re: Teresa] #7198098
02/27/21 02:23 PM
02/27/21 02:23 PM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum Teresa

Re: possum hair removal [Re: Teresa] #7201521
03/02/21 12:27 AM
03/02/21 12:27 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Just tanned my first possum...my son and I agree that they have some of th softest underfur that you can find. Their hide unfortunately is a little thicker than paper. My 1 that I've tanned is a little softer than paper (hide), but I think if one would spend more time than I did, you could get it more soft. Btw, don't flesh too hard, or you'll make a lot of hair fall out!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread