No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: yukon254] #7219055
03/17/21 06:58 PM
03/17/21 06:58 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by yukon254

The old black and white photo is a picture of my dad in the late 60s with a real tank of a bear he killed at the Gang Ranch in BC. That bear ranks #16 in the BC book to this day. Notice the rifle? Its a little Ruger 44 semi auto. My dad killed 7 big coastal bears with that gun. He never reloaded so had to be using 240 grain factory bullets. Some people say the 44 isnt adequate for grizzly...... another bear myth busted.

[Linked Image]

your story about your dad and his little ruger reminds me of a guy I used to know , he was the grandfather of one of my cub scouts , he was a mule handler for a guided service , he took care of the mules and cooked and kept camp.
clients would give him a hard time about the model 94 he carried , being short and not very powerful . he would tell them I am not here to shoot the game and at the distances I will need to be shooting it will be just fine. carried in hand and not in scabbard.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 03/17/21 07:01 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: wadask] #7219072
03/17/21 07:12 PM
03/17/21 07:12 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Trapper7
Years ago, I remember hunting with a guide in MT. He said gunshots were like a dinner bell for a bear.

Originally Posted by wadask
Not starting a fight here but i beat 95% including me would not be able to hit a bear in the brain at10 yrds in a 2 second charge.

I've heard the rifle shot/dinner bell analogy before and there might be something to it. Then again, bears have incredible noses and don't need a lot of help finding grub.

A bud and I hunted Kodiak for deer one fall. Deer numbers were up, the limit was five and it wasn't hard to put them on the ground. The first afternoon out, I had three deer like the one pictured down. It was late in the day so we stashed them in a ravine with the intention of retrieving them in the morning. We returned early the following morning and all three deer were gone. Bears came in during the night and hauled them off. We shot two more deer during the course of our trip. The two we got back to camp were taken in the night. They were boxed and stored sixty or eighty yards from our tent. There are no trees on that part of the island suitable to hanging meat, just alders. We never heard the bear or bears come in. We got one venison dinner off five deer.

We came upon this bear at about five to ten yards. You can see the cave the bear was in. It was right along the saltwater and the tide was in. We rounded a point and this bear came out sideways and stopped dead in its tracks. It was as surprised to see us as we were it. It didn't know what to do and for a few brief moments, neither did I

I've posted this and said it before...my first instinct was too throw my rifle at the bear and run. It was a relatively short standoff before I got me wits back about me. We all think we know how we'd respond until we find ourselves in that situation.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7219217
03/17/21 08:53 PM
03/17/21 08:53 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
What a brute

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7219290
03/17/21 09:50 PM
03/17/21 09:50 PM
MI
J
Jim River Offline
trapper
Jim River  Offline
trapper
J

MI
A guy I know that lives up in the Brooks range of Alaska had a run in with a very old thin bear that was out and about in mid-winter. He was running his team and met the old grizzly, the bear instantly attacked the team. The musher escaped with his life while eight out of his nine dogs weren't so lucky as you can see in the picture. As someone else had mentioned, the old, out during wintertime bears are the worst. They went and found the bear later and took care of matters. I think he said the biologists aged it at 29 years. Super old Bruin with really bad teeth. Always be prepared because you just never know when a bear might pop up.

20210317_212138.jpg
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: Jim River] #7219295
03/17/21 09:55 PM
03/17/21 09:55 PM
Yukon
Y
yukon254 Offline
trapper
yukon254  Offline
trapper
Y

Yukon
Originally Posted by Jim River
A guy I know that lives up in the Brooks range of Alaska had a run in with a very old thin bear that was out and about in mid-winter. He was running his team and met the old grizzly, the bear instantly attacked the team. The musher escaped with his life while eight out of his nine dogs weren't so lucky as you can see in the picture. As someone else had mentioned, the old, out during wintertime bears are the worst. They went and found the bear later and took care of matters. I think he said the biologists aged it at 29 years. Super old Bruin with really bad teeth. Always be prepared because you just never know when a bear might pop up.

Wow quite a story and photo. That was a war zone. Experienced trappers in my neck of the woods carry a heavy rifle all winter because there is always the possibility you will run into one of those old bears. Im sure everyone remembers that poor lady and her baby a couple years back in northern Yukon....Thats still the worst bear attack I've ever heard about.

do unto others as you would have them do unto you

www.grizzlycreeklodge.com
Re: Pepper spray or pistols for bear attacks [Re: yukon254] #7219302
03/17/21 10:05 PM
03/17/21 10:05 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by yukon254
Experienced trappers in my neck of the woods carry a heavy rifle all winter because there is always the possibility you will run into one of those old bears.

I shot a seventeen year old male grizzly that had just come out of the den. There was not a single tooth in the bears head that didn't have a cavity. Every canine was snapped off from fighting, or so I presume. That bear knew I was there, it saw me but maybe its myopic eyesight wasn't enough and it wanted my wind. I shot it before it got directly downwind of me. I was well above tree line and there was nothing at all for cover. Maybe it would have run after it got my wind, maybe not. I've seen them take an awful lot of punishment from heavy caliber rifles before the fight goes out of them.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread